Search

LAX Security - Go through TBIT and take bus

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 12:56 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
LAX Security - Go through TBIT and take bus

This morning (7:20am) the line at LAX security (Priority Access) was out the door and 1/2 of the way to TBIT (Tom Bradley International Terminal). After about 5 minutes in line they said "Everyone with a departure at 8am or later, please follow me." They had us go into the TBIT, go through security there (2 document checkers, 4 lanes, no TBIT passengers), and then walk onto busses on the field, and then they delivered us to the employee bus entrance in Terminal 4 (exits to the AE transfer terminal).

I had never seen this before, but it worked really well. (Able to avoid AIT by choosing one of the 3 lanes using only WTMD, rather than the one lane using AIT.)
Old May 23, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Good to know that someone was aware that the wait time at T-4 was off the charts. Guess TSA must have had all lanes running the NoS. That usually brings things to a crawl.
Old May 23, 2011, 1:51 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Makes reopening the tunnel to T5 and beyond seem like an even better idea.
Old May 23, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
More reason I can’t wait for the planned TBIT-T4 connector project to be completed ASAP (page 13 on the linked LAWA pdf file)
Old May 23, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by dayone
Makes reopening the tunnel to T5 and beyond seem like an even better idea.
No kidding.
Old May 23, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
T-4 is insane today. Lots of people trying to make it out to DFW/ORD after canceled flights yesterday in addition to normal traffic.
Old May 23, 2011, 3:17 pm

The thing is they make almost everyone go through the NOS there even when the line is backed up... I hate it!
Old May 23, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I've made multiple complaints to the incompetent TSA about the Monday morning line situation. They have all fallen on deaf ears - nobody has ever responded. It's pretty ridiculous.

The strip search machines have definitely slowed the lines down. They need to stop using them in the mornings.
Old May 23, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
They have all fallen on deaf ears - nobody has ever responded. It's pretty ridiculous.
The perils of "anything for more security" mindset.
Old May 23, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by gerald5
The thing is they make almost everyone go through the NOS there even when the line is backed up... I hate it!
Umm, so opt-out?
Old May 23, 2011, 4:13 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I make dozens of trips a year out of LAX and had the longest wait every through security on the 12th in the priority access line. It was leading all the way to the door that is closest to TBIT. All-in-all, about a 30 minute wait. Last Tuesday, you could instantly go up the escalator, and about a 5-7 minute way. Much different.
Old May 23, 2011, 4:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by LGAoverJFK
Umm, so opt-out?
I believe the issue being discussed here is the slowness of the security line, not a rehashing of a rehashing of an NoS discussion (which would belong in TSS anyway). Thus, NoS opt-outs in this thread's context would actually make the problem worse, as they take longer to process than a trip through the machine itself, driving lines even longer.
Old May 23, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Microwave
Thus, NoS opt-outs in this thread's context would actually make the problem worse, as they take longer to process than a trip through the machine itself, driving lines even longer.
At risk of being O/T, if more than 2-3 people are waiting to go through the AIT, and they aren't letting anyone goes through the WTMD, a pat-down can be faster, especially if you proactively let the agents know you're going to opt out as soon as you get near the pre-x-ray table.

Great solution for the OP's problem, though. I'm glad someone is thinking creatively.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I just wish that the terminals at LAX would be all connected. It will definitely help relieve some traffic by distributing it.
Old May 24, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: Various
I had a similar experience on the morning of May 19, though the lines were not that long. Seems like the TSA people are just dragging their feet...those lame body scanners slow things way down. Anyway, while I was there one of the station supervisors or managers for AA was voicing his concerns to the TSA people about the security lines not moving fast enough. I wasn't prepared to wait more than 45 mins to get through, screw up my schedule F.S..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.