Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
Originally Posted by brp
I then went to Mountain View. They had about 80 and I bought 30. This was a week ago Friday.
Last night, I bought 15 from Mountain View. When I went to pick them up, the guy at the merchandise pick-up area said, "What is it with these? The last guy got 30. The buyer is going to think we're giving these away!" He wouldn't tell me how many were left because there were a few other people waiting for pick up. I couldn't tell if any of them were also hoping to get AA GCs.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I called my local Costco a few days ago and the person said they had "a lot" in stock. I asked what that meant and was told they are not allowed to give out quantity-on-hand information.

Of course, several times before I have had Costco folks do exactly that.

Given that they were down to less than 70 a couple weeks ago, GCs must still be coming in, from other stores I suppose.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:13 am

Ok, I'm sure this is a ridiculous question, but I'll ask anyway:

I'm not a Costco member, but can I go with a Costco member and buy these on my AMEX (or have the member simply use my AMEX)? Or does the member have to have his/her name on the card?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:15 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by aa213bb

I'm not a Costco member, but can I go with a Costco member and buy these on my AMEX (or have the member simply use my AMEX)? Or does the member have to have his/her name on the card?
Not a silly question at all. It will work to use your card. I've never had them match the member name and the payee name, although I guess that the rules probably say that they have to be the same.

Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:18 am

Great! Thanks for the quick response brp; now to find out where some are in the LA area, and then convince a friend to go.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL

No problem at all, a FT friend got me into costco and I paid using my AMEX. No issues. BTW, AA convinced me to get a costco membership
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Chicago Lincoln Park @ Clybourn Costco, down to 68 cards.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:17 pm

Great! Thanks for the quick response brp; now to find out where some are in the LA area, and then convince a friend to go.
They are in the Hawthorne and Marina del Rey Costco.

Also, I've used my membership and had friends pay with their Amex before.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin

Also, I've used my membership and had friends pay with their Amex before.
Marina del Rey had none in stock as of Wednesday of this past week.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Not a silly question at all. It will work to use your card. I've never had them match the member name and the payee name, although I guess that the rules probably say that they have to be the same.

Cheers.
One time, one of us forgot our Costco card and the other of us forgot our AMEX (married couple) and it took an appeal to management to allow us to check out, but that's probably an outlier.

IME, the cashiers generally want to look at the credit card and ID (in addition to holding my membership card with photo) when I buy more than $10k worth of gift cards. But last week, I swiped my AMEX for 50 cards without a second glance by the cashier.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXC PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt PLT, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by kingsubbu
I picked up the last 20 two weeks ago. Carlsbad is the last one in so cal with a decent supply. Most LA/OC costco's are at oos. Theres a costco in Hawaii with 160.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by jerroranda
I picked up the last 20 two weeks ago. Carlsbad is the last one in so cal with a decent supply. Most LA/OC costco's are at oos. Theres a costco in Hawaii with 160.
Cool, if I buy 20 cards min I can probably break even on an MR to HNL

Those of you that are buying over 15 cards, get a business membership as the cost of that (100 bucks) will be offset by the 2% cashback you get as a biz member on all non-gas spend at Costco. If you're letting your friends use their cards, you are effectively gifting them this 2% saving.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 6:14 pm

Neither of those had any in stock when I checked this week.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by kingsubbu
Originally Posted by nall
Neither of those had any in stock when I checked this week.
Aw man! That sucks! I was planning on getting some tomorrow. Good thing I'm headed up to Mountain View next week. I'll try my luck there. Does anyone know if those are still around?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXC PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt PLT, National Car Executive
Aw man! That sucks! I was planning on getting some tomorrow. Good thing I'm headed up to Mountain View next week. I'll try my luck there. Does anyone know if those are still around?
Go to your local Costco and see if they can do an inventory check with the SKU. I think most of the Costco's in the LA/OC area are dried up. I think someone posted a few weeks ago that the Scottsdale store have a decent amount as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.