Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by tom911
Can you clarify you're talking about the actual cards in the locked area versus the cardboard AA marketing displays? I've made purchases at three different locations in the last year and they've never shown me the actual inventory.
Sorry about the confusion. It never occurred to me ask for the specific inventory amounts (nor did I know people did ask). Anyway I bought 10, I walked over to the locked case for distribution b/c they were moving things around so they counted them out for me and the pile that was there was significantly larger than what was handed to me. I may go back later this week and if I do, I'll ask for specific #s.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by geclub1
You may want to read Costco's SEC filings to see how much Costco's business model is depending on being financed by Accounts Payable (Hint: a lot!).
Now obviously, we do not know the exact payment terms on these gift cards. But I will be very surprised that AA gets paid anytime before we pay for them.
As you probably are aware, an account payable represents money that is owed, not money that might be owed if the item happens to sell.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
As Tom911 is eluding to, the floor display is totally irrelevant to the stock on hand and is not even needed for purchase!
Yeah. I know what you mean. I have two of those cardboard parts always in my car's trunk that I just bring with me so I don't have to hunt around for them.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:43 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by brp
Probably not. We were there a little over a week ago. They had 22. We bought 20. I then went to Mountain View. They had about 80 and I bought 30. This was a week ago Friday.

Cheers.
Thanks for the follow-up. I might try the SC location in a few weeks when I'm out there, but I think they might be gone by then. The PIT Costco doesn't carry them.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Yeah. I know what you mean. I have two of those cardboard parts always in my car's trunk that I just bring with me so I don't have to hunt around for them.
You do realize those were not complimentary right?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I just have a pic of the bar code & number in my cell phone. If the cashier can't scan the pic they just enter the number.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:33 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I just have a pic of the bar code & number in my cell phone. If the cashier can't scan the pic they just enter the number.
I don't even go to the cashier. I just go to the pickup area and they ring it up there. No waiting in line. Even when we had other CostCo stuff, we bought these separately right at the pickup window.

Cheers.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
You do realize those were not complimentary right?
I did read the part where it said "don't take with you," but you know, I like to live dangerously.

Originally Posted by brp
I don't even go to the cashier. I just go to the pickup area and they ring it up there. No waiting in line. Even when we had other CostCo stuff, we bought these separately right at the pickup window.
Wow. Good to know this tip. I'll try that this weekend.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:45 pm

Houston galleria location down to 51. I keep trying to convince friends to get them but no ones biting
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:16 pm

Picked up the last 11 at the Issaquah, WA Costco tonight.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:30 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by brownie20
Houston galleria location down to 51. I keep trying to convince friends to get them but no ones biting
No need. Costco won't return them, they will keep them until gone. So fewer buying, more for you down the line.

On the other hand I was clutching the cardboard thing checking out with friends who knew nothing about the deal. Friend knew a value, bought 10, I bought 20. Checker nodded to me and said "She's going round trip."
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:33 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
The pickup desk told me I could return the GC anytime, well, maybe not 10 years from now...

What if I buy 100 cards, charge them on SPG Amex, get my points, then a year or five from now return the cards. And never use the card again. Can I keep the points?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by lili
The pickup desk told me I could return the GC anytime, well, maybe not 10 years from now...

What if I buy 100 cards, charge them on SPG Amex, get my points, then a year or five from now return the cards. And never use the card again. Can I keep the points?
I am guessing it's mostly to do with how SPG Amex handles returns in general, and has little to do with Costco as such. I've had cards where returns result in removal of miles, and cards that do not.

Picked up a bunch at SF today, still available but the display was moved from a big one right opposite the checkout stands (prime real estate) to back in a narrow aisle behind the electronics stuff. Thinking they must be running low.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by lili

No. Like returning anything on your Amex, the points would be adjusted on your next billing statement after the return posts.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
A Costco in Carlsbad has 60 left as of five minutes ago. I'd buy a few, but my travel will be either China or Canada-origin for the foreseeable future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.