Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
I do know that their margin on the Cameron Hughes wines (a fabulous buy in all cases I've tried) is about 13%. So that's in line with the figures above.

Cheers.
Excellent. I left out the 1% average Executive member rebate (most recent year had $800 million rebate on $87 billion of sales), which Costco uses to reduce net sales, so the average markup on the shelf is actually about 12.5%, even closer to your observation.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:31 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jss
btw... if you use aa award tickets and want to pay the fees and/or taxes with these gc's --YOU CANNOT. Found this out today that payment options online do not include gc's if the charges are just fees and /or awards.
Unfortunately, correct. The terms and conditions on the AA gift card site (and listed within the first post of this thread), do clearly state that gift cards cannot be used to pay taxes/fees associated with award travel.

Originally Posted by cwpfly

---------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR NOTE:

https://giftcards.aa.com/terms.jsp
Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Is there anything I can't use them for?
A: Yes. Here's a partial list of INELIGIBLE products/services: upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; AmericanAirlines Vacations SM or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

(underlining mine)
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Looks like on average, Costco marks up the merchandise by 11.5% over its cost.
I read an article once (maybe in Costco's magazine) saying that Costco charged no more than a 14% margin on any individual item. Margin, not markup, as I recall. Thus something priced at $100 would have cost them not less than $86.

Of course, that may have changed.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Some costco stores told me they don't have any more AA cards and AA will no longer sell to them. Has anyone heard of this? If so is tthere any other place to buy them?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by arods3
Some costco stores told me they don't have any more AA cards and AA will no longer sell to them. Has anyone heard of this? If so is tthere any other place to buy them?
Wording makes this like a troll to me. AA beating the drums to excite folks into rushing out and buying "last chance" gc's, thus giving them a quick cash infusion?

Anyone know how that $4B they had when they entered bankruptcy is holding up?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat Hilton Diamond Marriott Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Can you please state the source of "they are phasing out gift cards".

As I had previously posted, a new costco just opened in Chicago, and it is fully stocked with GC.
I spoke with the store manager at Montgomeryville. These AA gift cards are pending delete at many warehouses. He stated the item was being phased out nationwide once the current inventory is depleted.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:39 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by martig4
I spoke with the store manager at Montgomeryville. These AA gift cards are pending delete at many warehouses. He stated the item was being phased out nationwide once the current inventory is depleted.
A few weeks ago I was at the Santa Clara, CA CostCo, and he indicated that they had a few from returns, but didn't carry them (which seemed odd). He said that other stores had them and he saw no indication of a phase out, but this is several reports now. We will be going to CostCo on Thursday. This one has carried them since the beginning. We're gonna get some, and I'm going to inquire further when we're there.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Jul 3, 2012 at 7:55 pm
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I just bought 4 and there was no indication my local was running out. I'll probably hedge and go buy the max at some point soon.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnAx
Wording makes this like a troll to me. AA beating the drums to excite folks into rushing out and buying "last chance" gc's, thus giving them a quick cash infusion?
I disagree.

Originally Posted by JohnAx
Anyone know how that $4B they had when they entered bankruptcy is holding up?
Last word from AA, the cash balance was up by more than 25%. At 5/31/12, AA reported an unrestricted cash balance (including short-term investments) of $5.1 billion, $1.1 billion higher than when AA filed.

http://www.amrcaseinfo.com/pdflib/3353_15463.pdf
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by N1120A
I just bought 4 and there was no indication my local was running out. I'll probably hedge and go buy the max at some point soon.
Isn't the max set at however many cards the store has? That could be an expensive visit!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:32 pm

Troll?

Because me with 152 post mostly in AA group i'm a troll? Your a fool!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Because me with 152 post mostly in AA group i'm a troll? Your a fool!
I actually don't think you're a troll, and saw nothing in your post to suggest that. But, if you're gonna insult someone back, you should probably say you're instead of your.

Cheers.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by brp
I actually don't think you're a troll, and saw nothing in your post to suggest that. But, if you're gonna insult someone back, you should probably say you're instead of your.

Cheers.
Why would i waste two characters on that foolski???
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:45 pm

Oh and I went out and bought 20 cards myself so good luck getting some JohnAx
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
RIP AA GC@Costco

Oh and I went out and bought 20 cards myself so good luck getting some JohnAx
Did you buy GCs this evening
And thanks for heads-up in your previous post.

I called Manhattan@NYC store this evening and was told they didn't have any. I asked to check if Rego Park store(I haven't been there though) had any but I only confirmed the store also didn't have any.

I was shocked as I just oredered $3K costco cash card last week and it was just shipped from Costco today.(As I want to use Citi Exec MC, I always buy the cash card.)

I called Costco and was glad that they cancelled my order and I would get full refund to my Citi Exec card.

Then I searched other Costco store in NY and was surprised to find that Queens store was closest(less than 2 mile) in terms of straight-line distance.
I called the store and was glad that they had 100+ GC.

It took another 30min to find my non-regular SPG Amex then went to the store.
Thanks to great new york city public transportaion system(aka MTA) ,it took 1+ hour to get there, just opposite side of East River ,less than 2 miles away(by 2 bus/ 2 subway).
The store was almost closed but I had lucky to be allowed to enter the store.
I bought just 10 GCs using some residual of the cash card($50) and SPG Amex.

I asked the store staff if the store would get additional stock of GCs in the future. The answer made me disappointed.

Good news for residents in NYC is the store still has 50+ GCs in stock now(who bought 40+ in 1 hour+?)
Bad news is the store is closed on July 4th

RIP AA GC@costco, I thought the GC would be available for a longer time.

Last edited by supergrandslam; Jul 4, 2012 at 2:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.