Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage---LTGold, DL Skymiles
AA gift cards

Nashville West has 70 available for purchase. Julia
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Just purchased a couple more gift cards this evening at the Arlington, VA Costco. They're now down to about 30 - from around 70 this time last week. Probably less than enough to get through this weekend.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:58 pm

Only four (4) left at Pentagon City in Arlington, VA, as of an hour ago, despite a large number of cardboard displays. Already regret not buying them myself.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by barelyelite
Only four (4) left at Pentagon City in Arlington, VA, as of an hour ago, despite a large number of cardboard displays. Already regret not buying them myself.
I bought 20 there last week
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
No more

Originally Posted by mathlete
Well, there were still about 22 left in Bolingbrook when I went there on Saturday. This same store had about 75 two weeks before that, so I assumed they were drawing down very slowly. Maybe someone cleaned them out on Sunday then?
Cleaned them out. I think IL is out for this.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Just back from CLT Tyvola Rd. I bought 10, leaving them 55 remaining.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:59 pm

Heading to Denver in ~3 weeks, any availability there?

--wes
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: all
I like getting the 10% discount with these GC at costco but they are also a pain. Every time I make a reservation and upgrade, they have to remove the upgrade (mostly international) and then put it back (if available). Been several instances now where at the time of ticketing I have not used the GC for fear of losing the upgrade
Old Aug 4, 2012, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by pantanal
I like getting the 10% discount with these GC at costco but they are also a pain. Every time I make a reservation and upgrade, they have to remove the upgrade (mostly international) and then put it back (if available). Been several instances now where at the time of ticketing I have not used the GC for fear of losing the upgrade
Yeah. That's a well-known problem. You should purchase the ticket and get it ticketed, then request the upgrade. Purchasing with a gift card on a reservation on hold with upgrades has always been an issue for me. Doing the latter, of upgrading after purchase, I've noticed that I really haven't lost the upgrade as I've never run into the problem of someone stealing "my" upgrade in the hour (or less) that it took to purchase and ticket.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: all
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Yeah. That's a well-known problem. You should purchase the ticket and get it ticketed, then request the upgrade. Purchasing with a gift card on a reservation on hold with upgrades has always been an issue for me. Doing the latter, of upgrading after purchase, I've noticed that I really haven't lost the upgrade as I've never run into the problem of someone stealing "my" upgrade in the hour (or less) that it took to purchase and ticket.
Yes. There is no way to protect an upgrade. Basically they cant ticket an upgraded ticket with GC.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
DFW has none.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 9:40 pm

South San Francisco (South Airport Blvd.) -- got last five yesterday afternoon!
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
DFW has none.
lol...and never did.

--wes
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
Orange County and LA Area costcos appear to be completely out.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:02 am

I found out about the "originating from US" restrictions on this gift card the hard way. I saw that my 24-hr hold on a HKG-ORD-LAX-HKG flight did not allow me to pay with gift card, so I called to see why.

Interestingly enough, they were able to apply the gift card balance to the itinerary, but once I found out about the $25 phone booking fee, I decided against doing it over the phone.

So moral of the story ... maybe you can use these gift cards to book flights originating outside the US, but only if you call in and are willing to pay the $25 phone booking fee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.