Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: Too Many to Count
Picked up about 20 of these puppies. Shipped a couple of those to my brother. Free money if you're buying a ticket soon. Thanks for posting, guys!
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI, this can not be used for everything. I cashed in miles for tickets & the taxes were $276/ticket. I was about to head over to Costco but called AA first & they said that I couldn't use a gift card to pay the taxes.
Sorry, this may already have been posted but it was news to me.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: Thai silver(expired), Eva Gold(expired), SPG Gold (expired), MR gold, AA Exp 1MM, UA platinum.
mile run

Originally Posted by jss
I have checked 2 of the Chicago area stores and they seem not to be available in this area at all.
Mile run to LAX to buy them Double elite miles
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
For Bay Area folks--didn't see these at the Richmond Costco.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by corky
FYI, this can not be used for everything. I cashed in miles for tickets & the taxes were $276/ticket. I was about to head over to Costco but called AA first & they said that I couldn't use a gift card to pay the taxes.
Sorry, this may already have been posted but it was news to me.
EDIT: Sorry. My mistake. I read corky's post too quickly and didn't realize that the issue is taxes on award tickets.

That is not true.

AA gift card can be used to purchase for all parts of the airfare. You may be restricted on where you can originate or what carriers you can book flights on. But if you originate in the US and fly AA only, the GC is fully usable on all fares, taxes, and fees.

Last edited by ckpeter; Jun 4, 2011 at 7:53 am Reason: My mistake - misreading the post
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by ckpeter
That is not true.

AA gift card can be used to purchase for all parts of the airfare. You may be restricted on where you can originate or what carriers you can book flights on. But if you originate in the US and fly AA only, the GC is fully usable on all fares, taxes, and fees.
The agent corky spoke with was correct. From the AA gift card FAQs: http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/FAQs/...s/GiftCard.jsp

Q: Can the American Airlines Gift Card be used toward the purchase of an AAdvantage Award ticket?
A: No. The Gift Card can not be used for payment of award travel nor the taxes and charges of the award.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Mountain View, Ca Costco still has a supply of the cards, was in there Fri evening.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
I bought some at the Hawthorne, CA store this morning. I was told that there were 90 cards left after my purchase.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:44 am

Programs: Phoenician Airlines
Yep, as I left Mt. View with my measly 7 cards at 8:10 p.m. Friday June 3, their stock computer (not necessarily correct) indicated they had 192 in stock.

Originally Posted by retirementdreams
Mountain View, Ca Costco still has a supply of the cards, was in there Fri evening.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Phlebas
Yep, as I left Mt. View with my measly 7 cards at 8:10 p.m. Friday June 3, their stock computer (not necessarily correct) indicated they had 192 in stock.
I might check out the Costco in Santa Cruz this weekend. Combining this with other discounts sounds great. I assume I can get my 2 percent Costco AMEX rebate still, plus the discount codes I find for AA.. That adds up
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
The agent corky spoke with was correct. From the AA gift card FAQs: http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/FAQs/...s/GiftCard.jsp
Thank you for the correction. I read his post too quickly and didn't realize that he was talking about taxes on award tickets.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 2:06 pm

I picked up a bunch this morning at the Pentagon City Costco. I did not ask how many they had left.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: 10 MM + 2013, AA EXP,Lifetime AC ,Crown Room, Red Carpet,USAIR CLUB ,Hertz Plat, Hilton Dia, GS +++
Hawthorne Store.... worth the short extra drive

have about 30 left and are ordering more next week.

I purchased 40 cards

Used Citi AMX visa ( 20% bonus miles this year)

2% back on Executive card at Costco

Fantastic offer for me......

using 8 max = $2,400 per transaction (not hard on some of my Europe or Asia tickets).

Still a mystery why some stores and not others.....
Old Jun 4, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by retirementdreams
I didn't see any at the San Jose, CA store off of Hostetter Rd (Automation Parkway store).
Old Jun 5, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG, National Exec
Remember that Costco Exec membership caps the 2% reward at $500/year for those purchasing large quantities of gift cards...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.