AA can it get any worse?

 
Old May 16, 11, 10:52 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 33
AA can it get any worse?

I don't think so. Had a long flight into Miami recently with a connection to SFO. The connecting flight was canceled because of mechanical problems. I opt to take a flight to Dallas to be that much closer to home and get in early the next day. Oh well, long story short, 36 hour ordeal, no hotel because the agent refused to pay $200 for the last available room at the airport. (I know because I was standing there and overheard her say so.) When I complained, the supervisor threatened to have me thrown out of the airport. So I stay up all night in a hotel lobby. They lose my luggage. yada yada ... New terminal at SFO - but look around. When I went through there was not a single customer service desk. To inquire about a problem means standing in the passenger check-in line.

I had 'business class' on the outbound segments. But AA business means your seat, like mine, may not recline at all; it means the power outlets on their antiquated 757s do not ever work (more wasted $$ for the adapter to use on their 1980s era plugs); and it means zero leg room in row 1. What is that extra $900 for exactly?

AA in Miami - or anywhere I've had the displeasure of flying with them - is the absolute worst.
ifitaintcomeoutadabay is offline  
Old May 16, 11, 11:04 pm
  #2  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,540
It wouldn't be Monday without a good "this is the worst airline and I'll never fly them again" rant. Thanks for providing the levity

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old May 16, 11, 11:07 pm
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 8,278
Originally Posted by ifitaintcomeoutadabay View Post
I don't think so. Had a long flight into Miami recently with a connection to SFO. The connecting flight was canceled because of mechanical problems. I opt to take a flight to Dallas to be that much closer to home and get in early the next day. Oh well, long story short, 36 hour ordeal, no hotel because the agent refused to pay $200 for the last available room at the airport. (I know because I was standing there and overheard her say so.) When I complained, the supervisor threatened to have me thrown out of the airport. So I stay up all night in a hotel lobby. They lose my luggage. yada yada ... New terminal at SFO - but look around. When I went through there was not a single customer service desk. To inquire about a problem means standing in the passenger check-in line.

I had 'business class' on the outbound segments. But AA business means your seat, like mine, may not recline at all; it means the power outlets on their antiquated 757s do not ever work (more wasted $$ for the adapter to use on their 1980s era plugs); and it means zero leg room in row 1. What is that extra $900 for exactly?

AA in Miami - or anywhere I've had the displeasure of flying with them - is the absolute worst.
Clearly lacking in perspective. Fly a few hundred thousand miles and then check back with us.
sts603 is offline  
Old May 16, 11, 11:15 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 31,333
Originally Posted by ifitaintcomeoutadabay View Post
AA in Miami - or anywhere I've had the displeasure of flying with them - is the absolute worst.
Is AA still your carrier of choice? In 94,000 miles so far this year I just haven't ran across the types of problems you have.

Did you ask for compensation after you made it home for being denied a hotel on a mechanical? What did AA say about that?
tom911 is online now  
Old May 16, 11, 11:17 pm
  #5  
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Always on vacation
Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Posts: 6,007
Sorry to hear about all your problems now and before with the other airlines. on your other trips.

If it happened to me my decision would be most likely to walk or not go anywhere.
magic111 is offline  
Old May 17, 11, 1:26 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 33
Perhaps I am lacking in perspective but where did you get the idea it's because I need to fly a few hundred thousand miles? Clairvoyant, are you?
ifitaintcomeoutadabay is offline  
Old May 17, 11, 3:16 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SFO
Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Posts: 5,378
If it makes you feel any better, there was no customer service desk in the old AA pier at SFO either.
justageek is offline  
Old May 17, 11, 5:06 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
Posts: 4,572
You shelled out $900 more for J and yet couldn't/wouldn't pay for a $200 hotel and kipped in a lobby. If it makes you feel any better most airports haven't had customer service desks since the same era of the adapter plugs you bemoan.
DataPlumber is offline  
Old May 17, 11, 7:10 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,623
If the the flight went mechnical and it forced an overnight AA must provide lodging. I'm having a hard time believing that there were no more hotel rooms or AA would not pay a certain rate (AA gets corporate rates at the chains anyway.)

Moreover, this is the reality of airline travel. Overcrowded flights, no overabundance of spare a/c, inadequate staff at the airport to handle problems, etc. One, never check bags. Two, become an elite, preferrably at least mid level, so you have a least someone in CS to assist you if you are going to fly regularly.
newyorkgeorge is offline  
Old May 17, 11, 7:48 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Posts: 8,278
Originally Posted by ifitaintcomeoutadabay View Post
Perhaps I am lacking in perspective but where did you get the idea it's because I need to fly a few hundred thousand miles? Clairvoyant, are you?
See all other responses. Such perspective comes from flying. Figured I'd save articulating it since everyone else would.
sts603 is offline  
Old May 17, 11, 9:49 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: RDU
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hhonors Gold.
Posts: 154
So you come to the AA frequent flyer board to say you'll never fly AA again? Probably isn't the best place if you're hoping to get some sort of sympathy.

I'm sure they will lose sleep tonight over your lost business. It's flying, stuff happens, deal with it and hopefully it won't happen again.
AAce24 is offline  
Old May 17, 11, 10:05 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: AA PLAT; UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Posts: 1,785
Originally Posted by ifitaintcomeoutadabay View Post
When I complained, the supervisor threatened to have me thrown out of the airport.
How did you complain to get such a reaction?

I am curious if you decide not to ever fly with AA since it is the worst airline, what Airline will you choose that has none of these problems. And since you stated that you live near Dallas, I am even more interested in that answer.
ORD-TGU is offline  
Old May 17, 11, 10:21 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: LAX; AA EXP, MM; HH Gold
Posts: 31,790
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
If the the flight went mechnical and it forced an overnight AA must provide lodging. I'm having a hard time believing that there were no more hotel rooms or AA would not pay a certain rate (AA gets corporate rates at the chains anyway.)
While generally true, the OP messed up and released AA from that liability by flying to DFW rather than staying in MIA where the flight canceled. The OP could have obtained a room in MIA but having decided to fly to DFW, the OP was now on their own.

It's too bad that the OP didn't register here and ask questions about their poor decisions before they were made (like paying for biz on a plane old 757), but that's par for the Flyertalk course.
FWAAA is offline  
Old May 17, 11, 10:54 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by magic111 View Post
Sorry to hear about all your problems now and before with the other airlines. on your other trips.

If it happened to me my decision would be most likely to walk or not go anywhere.
Oh, I get it. You're being sarcastic. I suppose it is pointless and naive to complain about the lack of quality in a service that most of the time one has no choice but to use. The gov't should also lighten up, don't you think? I mean the 24 million in fines for shoddy maintenance practices last year were really nitpicking; and the fees they charged bumped passengers for using their travel vouchers--so funny!

Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
While generally true, the OP messed up and released AA from that liability by flying to DFW rather than staying in MIA where the flight canceled. The OP could have obtained a room in MIA but having decided to fly to DFW, the OP was now on their own.

It's too bad that the OP didn't register here and ask questions about their poor decisions before they were made (like paying for biz on a plane old 757), but that's par for the Flyertalk course.
Hey there! guess what? you're wrong about everything. I went to Dallas with my record annotated that I should get a hotel and they acknowledged as much in Dallas. The personnel there just decided it was too expensive. And I paid for 'biz' on a plane old 757 (is that your idea of clever word play?) because I wanted the power outlet on a long flight and to be less uncomfortable on a second overnight flight. Thanks for your worldly advice.

Originally Posted by sts603 View Post
See all other responses. Such perspective comes from flying. Figured I'd save articulating it since everyone else would.
The other perspective that comes from flying is the terrible service that spurred new airline passenger rights.
There's a difference between understanding that stuff happens and being treated in a grossly unfair and disrespectful way as a matter of course.

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU View Post
How did you complain to get such a reaction?

I am curious if you decide not to ever fly with AA since it is the worst airline, what Airline will you choose that has none of these problems. And since you stated that you live near Dallas, I am even more interested in that answer.
I would love to never fly AA but sometimes there's no choice. And I don't live near Dallas I live in CA.

Originally Posted by DataPlumber View Post
You shelled out $900 more for J and yet couldn't/wouldn't pay for a $200 hotel and kipped in a lobby. If it makes you feel any better most airports haven't had customer service desks since the same era of the adapter plugs you bemoan.
You're right about the customer service in general. But CO has customer service desks in their hubs. At least for the time being. I couldn't find a one in Dallas for AA even though it's a hub. they do have people in Miami -- and inevitably long lines of people.

Last edited by JY1024; May 17, 11 at 11:29 am Reason: merged 5 consecutive posts - please consider using "multi-quote" feature
ifitaintcomeoutadabay is offline  
Old May 17, 11, 11:27 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin Texas
Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Posts: 2,835
It's becoming ever more clear why the agent threatened to have you walk out of the airport. I think that alone speaks volumes.

As for not paying 200 bucks for a hotel room AT the airport - Im assuming they would have paid for a hotel room at any of the neighboring properties and shuttled you there.

Anyhoo, I'll sit back and watch the trolling.
austin_modern is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: