Armrest hogging and other personal space etiquette issue

Old May 14, 11, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Armrest hogging and other personal space etiquette issue

What do people do about those seatmates who encroach on your personal space...elbows spilling over the shared armrest or crossed legs bumping into your in YOUR space.

I was on a 737 from DFW-ORD in the exit row window. Exit Row middle seat passenger was a tall European guy. For most of the flight, he would hog the shared armrest, his elbows constantly spilling over into my space (nudging my ribs every now and then). When he crossed his legs, his foot would constantly knock into my leg...IN MY SPACE!

I didn't want to sound offended or rude since I do realize exit row seats are a bit narrow for large/tall people, but I did voice my dissatisfaction by politely "bumping" into his elbows and saying "sorry, excuse me". I don't think he got the message since, although he would move his arms...5 mins later he was at it again. Kind of annoying.

What would other people have done in this situation?
Old May 14, 11, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie View Post
What do people do about those seatmates who encroach on your personal space...elbows spilling over the shared armrest or crossed legs bumping into your in YOUR space.

I was on a 737 from DFW-ORD in the exit row window. Exit Row middle seat passenger was a tall European guy. For most of the flight, he would hog the shared armrest, his elbows constantly spilling over into my space (nudging my ribs every now and then). When he crossed his legs, his foot would constantly knock into my leg...IN MY SPACE!

I didn't want to sound offended or rude since I do realize exit row seats are a bit narrow for large/tall people, but I did voice my dissatisfaction by politely "bumping" into his elbows and saying "sorry, excuse me". I don't think he got the message since, although he would move his arms...5 mins later he was at it again. Kind of annoying.

Post in another forum, like omni
Old May 14, 11, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Given you are only AA gold you really don't fly enough to worry about it.
Old May 14, 11, 6:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
its tough in the field!....just respond in kind, which isn't kindly!...
Old May 14, 11, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
and this is news?
Old May 14, 11, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie View Post

What do you expect? Europeons are just rude... Have you ever seen them que up for a line on the ski slopes?
Old May 14, 11, 7:01 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Ah yes, the passive aggressive elbow bump "telling" him that he's
invading your space. That'll show him.

Perhaps you could "man up" and just say that you paid for your full seat
and that you would like to share the arm rest? You know... express
your opinion verbally.

Another option is to overtly flirt with him... stroke his arm... and act
completely creepy. That usually causes them to recoil in horror and
could be a more "aggressive" passive aggressive move if one lacks
the spine to actually say ones opinion outloud.
Old May 14, 11, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I usually just go ahead and lean on the other guy's arm as if my seat was a winged chair.
Old May 14, 11, 7:11 pm

I've always thought the middle armrests should belong to the middle passenger. The window and aisle passengers can lean away from the middle. Moved to TravelBuzz in 3...2...
Old May 14, 11, 7:23 pm

Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
I remember someone on FT used the something like the following: "look, we are going to be sharing this armrest for the next X hours. You can have it for the first x/2 and I'll take it for the last x/2". I want to say that this approach worked.
Old May 14, 11, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Well Americas are the most obese humans on the planet, they eat anything placed in front of them, so lay off the Europeans. I've had one flight were I was pinned against the window becuase my fellow American sitting next to me WAS SO FAT!!! Airlines need to charge extra to those who spill over onto the other seat.

Originally Posted by pkerr View Post
What do you expect? Europeons are just rude... Have you ever seen them que up for a line on the ski slopes?
Old May 14, 11, 7:29 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA View Post
I've always thought the middle armrests should belong to the middle passenger. The window and aisle passengers can lean away from the middle. Moved to TravelBuzz in 3...2...
Agreed. I happily cede the middle armrests. I'm just thankful I'm not the poor schmuck sitting in the middle seat.
Old May 14, 11, 7:34 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat, AA Gold
Ugh, on my last flight I was the poor schmuck(ette) stuck in the middle with the aisle guy's elbow over the armrest and well into my space . I just don't feel comfortable saying or doing something about it. I don't mind touching legs if someone's leg is in my space, but I don't like to touch arms.
Old May 14, 11, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
OP - apparently you think that this thread belongs in this forum because this complaint is AA-specific, and never happens on other airlines, only on AA. In that case, the solution is obvious - never fly AA again. Problem solved!!
Old May 14, 11, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer View Post
Well Americas are the most obese humans on the planet, they eat anything placed in front of them, so lay off the Europeans. I've had one flight were I was pinned against the window becuase my fellow American sitting next to me WAS SO FAT!!! Airlines need to charge extra to those who spill over onto the other seat.
Actually, Americans are not the fattest people in the world. That infamous title currently belongs to Nauru.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: