Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Boeing 747 discussion (historical - consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2011, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Aa 747 dfw-lgw

I toured the London Transport Museum this week and was delighted to see a preserved tube car with an advert for AA 747 service, Gatwick-DFW. I had forgotten that when this service began in May 1982, AA used 747s. The route was soon switched to DC-10-30s.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 20, 2013 at 4:25 pm Reason: restore original post title
Old May 14, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by chuck till
I toured the London Transport Museum this week and was delighted to see a preserved tube car with an advert for AA 747 service, Gatwick-DFW. I had forgotten that when this service began in May 1982, AA used 747s. The route was soon switched to DC-10-30s.
And now they don't go to LGW at all. It was a lot more calm than LHR.
Old May 14, 2011, 8:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Ah yes the classic "A brand new way to Denver, John" ad I believe. I've seen it myself at the same place.

Pictures of AA 747s at LGW
Old May 14, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by jpmcdonough
And now they don't go to LGW at all. It was a lot more calm than LHR.
LGW was terrible for premium/elite pax, had awful lounges, and much worse connections. I don't love LHR but I'll take it over LGW any day.
Old May 14, 2011, 9:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For those who like to reminisce, here's an AA 747 "classic" at LGW, as well as a lot of other old metal that is now freighting it or incorporated into other items (aluminum pots and pans? You may have flown in what you now cook!)

Old May 14, 2011, 9:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
AA also used to fly 747SPs into LHR back in the early 90s. Oh how we miss the old days!
Old May 14, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
For those who like to reminisce, here's an AA 747 "classic" at LGW, as well as a lot of other old metal that is now freighting it or incorporated into other items (aluminum pots and pans? You may have flown in what you now cook!)
At least AA still exist, which is more than can be said for British Caledonian, one of whose planes can be seen in the background.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DillMan
LGW was terrible for premium/elite pax, had awful lounges, and much worse connections. I don't love LHR but I'll take it over LGW any day.
I recall a decent AC at LGW in the 90s. I also remember a premium check-in at Victoria station for AA flights which was handy.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:10 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I recall a decent AC at LGW in the 90s. I also remember a premium check-in at Victoria station for AA flights which was handy.
And a quite nice BA F lounge.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
At least AA still exist, which is more than can be said for British Caledonian, one of whose planes can be seen in the background.
Absolutely, but BCal commercials are legendary...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Adh8FV_gao

Can you remember any commercial by AA?

Old May 14, 2011, 11:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i never flew on an aa 747, but like others, i miss lgw....it was easy to do a get off, get back on mr....which i probably did 10 times....
Old May 14, 2011, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Years ago, stationed close to GOT, and BA still flying GOT-LGW, the fastest way to US destination was GOT-LGW-DFW-XXX(US)

LGW and DFW are extremely smooth hubs
Old May 14, 2011, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
This may be a stupid question - but what was on the 2nd floor (besides the cockpit? Only looks like a few windows up there.
Old May 14, 2011, 5:12 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Flyer_70
This may be a stupid question - but what was on the 2nd floor (besides the cockpit? Only looks like a few windows up there.
A lounge when I was on it.
Old May 14, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
British Caledonian is to BA, as TWA, Reno and others before are to AA. I'm not sure I see the difference?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.