Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Can I mix a business 25,000 miles award with an economy anytime award, one way.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

I need to book a one way DTW-DFW-PDX. Can I book 25,000 business for DTW-DFW, then anytime award DFW-PDX? Individually these 2 segments are available, but when I bring them up in muti leg, it prices out at 50,000.
Old May 13, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
All AA awards are now priced as one way awards.
Just book them as separate one way awards, if that works best for you.

EDITED TO ADD:
BTW - 50,000 seems like it is the right price (unless I misunderstand you):
25,000 First SAAver award
25,000 AAnytime economy award

Last edited by miamigrad; May 13, 2011 at 3:09 pm
Old May 13, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by elabut
I need to book a one way DTW-DFW-PDX. Can I book 25,000 business for DTW-DFW, then anytime award DFW-PDX? Individually these 2 segments are available, but when I bring them up in muti leg, it prices out at 50,000.
AA.com is pricing this itinerary correctly. You cannot combine two different awards into one (as you are trying to do) and only pay for one award.

If DFW-PDX has milesaver availability but no first availability, you could get the whole itinerary for 25K in first and take a voluntary downgrade to coach on the DFW-PDX, but that is the only workaround to not paying for two awards in this situation.
Old May 13, 2011, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miamigrad
All AA awards are now priced as one way awards.
Just book them as separate one way awards, if that works best for you.

EDITED TO ADD:
BTW - 50,000 seems like it is the right price (unless I misunderstand you):
25,000 First SAAver award
25,000 AAnytime economy award
No, I don't want to use more than 25,000 miles total.
Old May 13, 2011, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

If DFW-PDX has milesaver availability but no first availability, you could get the whole itinerary for 25K in first and take a voluntary downgrade to coach on the DFW-PDX, but that is the only workaround to not paying for two awards in this situation.[/QUOTE]

This sounds good. HOW can I book it?
Old May 13, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
If DFW-PDX has milesaver availability but no first availability, you could get the whole itinerary for 25K in first and take a voluntary downgrade to coach on the DFW-PDX, but that is the only workaround to not paying for two awards in this situation.

You will have to call reservations, explain to them what you want to do, and if you get an agent that is clueless, just hang up and try again with a different agent. Unfortunately speaking to an agent also means you will have to pay a $25 phone ticketing fee. But the upside also is that at the gate for your DFW-PDX flight you can inform the agent that you took a voluntary downgrade and if there are empty seats in F, you should have priority for being put back into F in this instance. You can also continue to monitor the website to see if F seats open up on the DFW-PDX leg and call reservations to get you into F on that leg if additional inventory opens up.
Old May 13, 2011, 3:28 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
This sounds good. HOW can I book it?[/QUOTE]

call aa & pay the fee!...you could do a y anytime for the trip & book on line, iirc...but i would pay the fee for the leg in front...

good luck...
Old May 13, 2011, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clacko
call aa & pay the fee!...you could do a y anytime for the trip & book on line, iirc...but i would pay the fee for the leg in front...

good luck...[/QUOTE]

Got it! Thanks!
Old May 13, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by sukn
You will have to call reservations, explain to them what you want to do, and if you get an agent that is clueless, just hang up and try again with a different agent. Unfortunately speaking to an agent also means you will have to pay a $25 phone ticketing fee. But the upside also is that at the gate for your DFW-PDX flight you can inform the agent that you took a voluntary downgrade and if there are empty seats in F, you should have priority for being put back into F in this instance. You can also continue to monitor the website to see if F seats open up on the DFW-PDX leg and call reservations to get you into F on that leg if additional inventory opens up.
True, there is no way of getting around the now $30 phone booking fee unless you are executive platinum.
Old May 13, 2011, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Time traveller
... $30 phone booking fee ...
Since when?
Old May 13, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Time traveller
True, there is no way of getting around the now $30 phone booking fee unless you are executive platinum.
It's $30 now?

Also, would a workaround be to put an award on hold and call in to change it? Then confirm it online?
Old May 14, 2011, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Xero
It's $30 now?

Also, would a workaround be to put an award on hold and call in to change it? Then confirm it online?
That won't work. From my experience, as soon as a phone agent changes the reservation, you can no longer purchase it online.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Xero
It's $30 now?

I believe the $30 refers to the $25 phone fee +2x $2.50 security fee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.