FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   actual vs. stated reason for flight cancellation? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1213537-actual-vs-stated-reason-flight-cancellation.html)

salut0 May 8, 2011 8:28 pm

actual vs. stated reason for flight cancellation?

Our flight on Friday morning was cancelled and we were moved to the next flight. According to AA, (phone, ticket agents, and gate agents at destination) the flight cancellation was because they were lacking a pilot.

The flight had first been delayed by half an hour,but was then cancelled 45mins before the originally scheduled departure time (1h15 prior to the delayed departure time). It seems odd that the pilot would be arriving so late.

I'm wondering whether in fact the flight was cancelled because the load on the next flight was light. Even with the rebooked passengers, the regional jet in question used for the next flight we actually took at 11am had several empty seats.

Is it likely that this was the real reason? Flightstats doesn't give any reason or details for the flight cancellation but I wonder whether the stated reason is just an excuse that the AA agents were given to tell the passengers.

jordyn May 8, 2011 8:35 pm

Of course, it's likely that the answer was "both of the above".

There likely wasn't a pilot for a flight, and they chose a flight with compatible scheduling with the lightest load. This only makes sense--if you have to cancel a flight, you'd want to inconvenience the fewest people possible.

But in any case, why does it matter? AA's obligations are the same to you in either case.

salut0 May 8, 2011 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn (Post 16351025)
Of course, it's likely that the answer was "both of the above".

There likely wasn't a pilot for a flight, and they chose a flight with compatible scheduling with the lightest load. This only makes sense--if you have to cancel a flight, you'd want to inconvenience the fewest people possible.

But in any case, why does it matter? AA's obligations are the same to you in either case.

It matters because if it was a "circumstance outside their control" or something like that, they're less liable to provide any sort of compensation. I'd argue that a pilot not turning up isn't "out of their control" barring an "act of God" or some other freak incident.

What do you believe their obligations are in such a situation? :)

jordyn May 8, 2011 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by salut0 (Post 16351039)
What do you believe their obligations are in such a situation? :)

Assuming the delay was just a couple of hours, basically nothing. (Yes, that is lame.)

salut0 May 8, 2011 8:45 pm

Just out of interest, and for future reference, does anyone know what the website that shows the raw code of flight info is? I can't find it or remember its name: FlightStats (which I used) doesn't show any reasons. Nor does aacargo.com.

justageek May 8, 2011 9:12 pm

You're thinking of expertflyer.com