FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   How to track incoming aircraft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1212860-how-track-incoming-aircraft.html)

doubled79 May 6, 2011 12:45 pm

How to track incoming aircraft

I am on flight AA 1875 from MCI to DFW and was curious how I could track the in-bound aircraft to MCI.

ExitRowAisle May 6, 2011 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by doubled79 (Post 16339946)
I am on flight AA 1875 from MCI to DFW and was curious how I could track the in-bound aircraft to MCI.

Maybe not the most direct way, but go to flykci.com and figures out what gate you depart from (if you don't know already), look at the arrivals on American from Chicago or Dallas (since I think those are the only places you can fly to/from KC), figure out what plane is scheduled to arrive at your departure gate, and go to flightstats.com, flightaware.com, or similar websites to track.

Of course if you are actually at the airport, you should be able to figure out where your plane is coming from by looking at the departure and arrival gates. Then you can skip to the last step.

jpmcdonough May 6, 2011 12:58 pm

There's an app for that. If you have an iPhone. It's called FlightStatus, and it shows the inbounds at your location. You need to know either the inbound flight number or where it's coming from. It works pretty well. Sometimes you're better off not knowing.

TWA884 May 6, 2011 12:59 pm

According to FlightCaster, the inbound operates as flight 2032. You can track it on FlightStats or FlightAware.

doubled79 May 6, 2011 1:43 pm

You guys are AAwesome!

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George May 6, 2011 1:48 pm

If you have the flight number, aa.com will tell you if the inbound a/c left late, and when, and the expected scheduled arrival time either early or late. Yes, MCI only has a/c coming from ORD and DFW.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin May 6, 2011 2:34 pm

I also use FlightAware. That's been a very handy site.

LGAoverJFK May 6, 2011 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 16340033)
According to FlightCaster, the inbound operates as flight 2032. You can track it on FlightStats or FlightAware.

+1 on the recommendation for flightcaster. Beyond incoming flight details, it will offer a prediction for the on-time arrival of your flight. It has been extremely useful for me and I have often switched flights based on its prediction with some excellent results. Sure, sometimes you won't be able to do anything about it, but if you are sitting on the tarmac with an uncommunicative pilot your seat-mates will appreciate the inside info. ;)

Austinrunner May 6, 2011 3:18 pm

flightradar24.com is a fun way to watch flights that overfly European airspace.

rayhurst May 6, 2011 3:25 pm

This would be an awesome feature to add to the AA iPhone app. I don't fly Delta, but I noticed the screen shot of their app in the app store shows some ability to track flights, but I'm not sure if it is the incoming flight. If the AA app had an option to check the status of the incoming flight for your next departure, that would be nice!

Illini_Fan May 6, 2011 3:44 pm

There is another iPhone app called FlightCaster (free). You input your flight information and it determines the status of your inbound aircraft, checks the departure and arrival weather and checks the FAA status of the departure and arrival airports.

It is pretty cool.

beerup May 6, 2011 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Illini_Fan (Post 16340935)
There is another iPhone app called FlightCaster (free). You input your flight information and it determines the status of your inbound aircraft, checks the departure and arrival weather and checks the FAA status of the departure and arrival airports.

It is pretty cool.

Yes, we know....see the post seven above yours:

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 16340033)

chanp May 6, 2011 5:03 pm

Any for Android?

Illini_Fan May 6, 2011 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by beerup (Post 16341004)
Yes, we know....see the post seven above yours:

Once again the friendly AA forum on FT rears its smiling face. What aspect of the post you quoted indicated that flightcaster was actually an iPhone app? It was a nice link to the website and possibly the website indicates that they have an iphone app, but I really fail to understand the value of your post.

But I'm sure you will enlighten me.

beerup May 6, 2011 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Illini_Fan (Post 16341665)
Once again the friendly AA forum on FT rears its smiling face. What aspect of the post you quoted indicated that flightcaster was actually an iPhone app? It was a nice link to the website and possibly the website indicates that they have an iphone app, but I really fail to understand the value of your post.

But I'm sure you will enlighten me.

Based upon the implied novelty of FlightCaster by your post, it appeared that you weren't aware that it had been discussed in this (relatively short) thread. Sorry if I offended you.

...and yes, the iPhone (and Blackberry) app is prominent on the linked homepage.