Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STL Terminal Updates (post Apr 22, 2011 tornado)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2011, 2:05 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by dia1
Still using D and, not infrequently, stairs rather than bridge. Good grief.

Edited to add:
I should have included that it's arriving Am Eagle flights that have been stuck with stairs, not mainline flights and usually not departing Eagle flights.
And considering we have a grand total of 1 daily American Eagle flight, I think the "not infrequently" myth can be declared BUSTED.

Greg
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeystl
There was definitely a wall. It's been ages since I've had to suffer through a WN experience so I haven't been in E in over a year.

My guess is the wall was taken down after the tornado when AA was using D.
Left this afternoon from D16, so strolled down...yep, the wall's still there where it has been ever since they reopened D. You cannot get to E that way.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:33 am

Programs: AA-PLT; DL-Silver/AKA "nothing"; Hilton-Diamond;
Originally Posted by GregL
And considering we have a grand total of 1 daily American Eagle flight, I think the "not infrequently" myth can be declared BUSTED.

Greg
I was on a 757 that used the stairs from the doors behind First on Sep 7-9. When asked, the guy on the ground pointed to the jet bridge that wasn't there and said "out for repairs". I 'think' it was gate D20.

No stairs last week S80 or 757.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA Silver, SkyMiles Gold, Marriott Platinum, Emerald Executive, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by siankaan1
Left this afternoon from D16, so strolled down...yep, the wall's still there where it has been ever since they reopened D. You cannot get to E that way.
I should have been more specific...

The metal gate is still there, so you cannot get from D to E. However, there was an actual wall constructed on the "D" side of that gate at some point that has since been removed. If you were looking from E towards the D side, it was about 50 feet down. Was wondering why it was removed. It's possible I'm losing my mind and that wall never existed, or was in another part of the airport - either way I'm curious.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by capn_shawn
I was on a 757 that used the stairs from the doors behind First on Sep 7-9. When asked, the guy on the ground pointed to the jet bridge that wasn't there and said "out for repairs". I 'think' it was gate D20.

No stairs last week S80 or 757.
I used stairs on a 757 arrival about a month ago as well - it was the very last gate. But only once - all others have been normal jet bridges.

I know why AA is here, and I'm patient. But I can't wait until the C gates & the AC are ready - it's so depressing down that D corridor, and the AC is sad to me as well.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by gmcnail
I should have been more specific...

The metal gate is still there, so you cannot get from D to E. However, there was an actual wall constructed on the "D" side of that gate at some point that has since been removed. If you were looking from E towards the D side, it was about 50 feet down. Was wondering why it was removed. It's possible I'm losing my mind and that wall never existed, or was in another part of the airport - either way I'm curious.
I think (a local may know more) that one of the unused concourses at STL was walled off to give movie makers some privacy. A certain movie starring George Clooney had many of its airport scenes filmed there with the gates modified to look like those at other airports.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 5:02 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
I think (a local may know more) that one of the unused concourses at STL was walled off to give movie makers some privacy. A certain movie starring George Clooney had many of its airport scenes filmed there with the gates modified to look like those at other airports.
Concourse D was walled off well before the movie was filmed there. It was done to save the costs of heating and air conditioning unused space.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
You have it backwards. The D concourse wasn't walled off because they wanted to make a movie there, they wanted to make a movie there because it was walled off.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA Silver, SkyMiles Gold, Marriott Platinum, Emerald Executive, Hertz #1 Gold
Ok, so I'm not crazy, and there was a wall there.

So that begs the question: Why did they go to the expense and effort to remove the wall? I guess it could be for HVAC reasons, but it also looked to coincide with new carpet, paint, etc. Obviously there are some sort of plans for that unused area, any ideas?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: Back to lowly AA Gold (1.8 MM); Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Windows Delivered Today

The terminal has had plywood covering the window openings since the April tornado. Custom made replacement windows start going in today. I understand they are coming from the original manufacturer who supplied the windows in (the 60's?). I've always found the design very visually pleasing, but more than that - it will be nice to see the plywood gone!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by gmcnail
Ok, so I'm not crazy, and there was a wall there.

So that begs the question: Why did they go to the expense and effort to remove the wall? I guess it could be for HVAC reasons, but it also looked to coincide with new carpet, paint, etc. Obviously there are some sort of plans for that unused area, any ideas?
No that wasn't ne carpet or anything in the D gates. execpt the new A club ... i wonder if that will be its permanent location now.
I was flying through STL this past weekend . The airort now seems to be one massive construction sight

Any Idea what is in store for the future of the C concourse?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:47 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
Any Idea what is in store for the future of the C concourse?
Repairs are underway. I've seen (forget where) that an early April reopening is planned.

Greg
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by GregL
Repairs are underway. I've seen (forget where) that an early April reopening is planned.

Greg
I assume then AA will move back to C, Any see delta moving into D and making the temp club a delta sky club?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
I assume then AA will move back to C, Any see delta moving into D and making the temp club a delta sky club?
No, since D isn't remodeled at all, and A has been completely redone. I think there are still a couple open gates on A, as well.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: DL Platinum, US Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Originally Posted by dartagnan
No, since D isn't remodeled at all, and A has been completely redone. I think there are still a couple open gates on A, as well.
A is completely full - no open gates. If anything changes, Delta will take over all of A and the others will move to C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.