Public evidence of possible changes to Million Miler Program?

Old May 1, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
But not much, it appears. You're obviously not going to stop flying AA, otherwise you wouldn't bother with the other 96K miles to get to 1M. And transferring miles from your husband's account doesn't really produce any business for AA, just some small fees, perhaps, for the transfer.
Transferring 15K miles from my husband's account would cost $180. I'd planned to do that at the end of 2011 and the beginning of 2012, but why bother unless I need to top off my account for an award? Same with the decision to renew my AA Visa when the annual fee kicks in or the decision to shop through aa.com when it might be a little more complicated and/or expensive. I may decide to move the $30K idle cash in my BankDirect account elsewhere. (I hasten to add that the bulk of our retirement savings are in more diverse investments, including TD Ameritrade and, soon, Fidelity.)

And, judging from the way airlines brag about the big bucks they're raking in from $25 to check a bag, mandatory curbside check-in charges, etc., they need all the sources of non-BIS revenue they can get. No fee is too "small" for them!

It will be interesting to see what "enhancements" are coming, if any, but depending on the implications I could change a lot of my strategies.
Old May 1, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
- Whether or not AA is going to change their lifetime program/benefits, one effect of the ongoing speculations is an accelerated rate of acquiring AA miles from all the sources by at least some of the FTs . From perspective of marketing it is just brilliant - what could be better than word-of-mouth advertisement of a product that is available only for a limited time!
Old May 1, 2011, 10:08 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I hit Lifetime Platinum back in 2002, and now am at 3.3M.

I will be really shocked if AA now comes back (9 years later), and tells me that the miles that were not BIS that helped get me to the 2MM all of a sudden do not count.

I just can't believe AA would be so crazy as to do something like that.

There really should be some sort of a grandfather clause or something if they do make significant changes.
Old May 1, 2011, 10:25 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Since we received a letter telling us we were Lifetime Platinum for the duration of the Platinum program it is inconceivable to me that anyones lifetime status would be taken away.
Old May 1, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by freeupgrade

I will be really shocked if AA now comes back (9 years later), and tells me that the miles that were not BIS that helped get me to the 2MM all of a sudden do not count.

There really should be some sort of a grandfather clause or something if they do make significant changes.
I don't think anyone is even suggesting that current lifetime status wouldn't be grandfathered in. Not only would stripping people of status be a PR nightmare, there would also be guaranteed to be numerous law suites over it.
Old May 1, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
I don't think anyone is even suggesting that current lifetime status wouldn't be grandfathered in. Not only would stripping people of status be a PR nightmare, there would also be guaranteed to be numerous law suites over it.
Are there weekend rates available for these law "suites"?
Old May 1, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
Originally Posted by freeupgrade

This thread is becoming as comical as the mint coin thread.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think anyone is even suggesting that current lifetime status wouldn't be grandfathered in.
You apparently missed this guy's posts:

Originally Posted by Seat 1F
My issue is that they should only use BIS miles as the measurement......and not grandfather prior status.
Of course, I doubt he has either clout with or crystal ball into AA...
Old May 1, 2011, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
I had a slightly different take than gleff did on her comments regarding changes. He interpreted her reply as that something is definitely changing. I think she probably meant that but she didn't actually say it. More like a "we are always looking at ways to improve the program" type of comment that means everything and nothing all at once, depending on how much you want to read in to it.
Great summary, thanks for sharing.
Old May 1, 2011, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
This is an oversimplification. Yes, obviously, anyone who flies lots of times a year cannot be losing out on upgrades more than once to someone who flies only once a year. But they can still lose out that once, especially if lifetime status people tend to do mostly leisure travel booked far in advance, given that AA's current upgrade priority is based on time of booking within each status level. (Of course, AA could "fix" that by changing the algorithm for booking type, but for whatever reason they so far have felt that this simple algorithm is the best one.)
Sure, there's a very longshot chance that somebody somewhere could lose an upgrade to an LT Plat. But...so what? On one hand, the LT Plat has great value to AA, perhaps even greater than some regular Plats when you consider how profitable selling partners miles is. And on the other hand, the absolute most valuable customers - the EXP's - can't be impacted by an LT Plat.

I guess philosophically I've always looked at low and mid tier statuses at airlines and hotels as acquisition and upsell tools...ways to get people engaging with your brand and using it more. Nobody gives away truly good customer service nor truly valuable upgrades (international) until the top-tier. That's where the CRM actvities with your (presumably) most profitable clients are. Keep EXP "clean" and the LT levels for Gold/Plat can still serve a valuable purpose.

Well, there's precedent. Somehow Delta went through this same process around 1997 (from all miles counting, to mostly only BIS counting now including alliance partners). Now, the landscape was different in 1997 (I don't think FT quite existed yet, did it?, and were people churning Delta credit cards then the way they churned Citi cards the past decade?), but Delta did decide that it wanted to do it more like UA (BIS only not including alliance partners) than staying like AA. Of couse, since it was at least the "second last" to change from "all sources" to mostly "BIS only", it wasn't "the only left" with a unique program the way AA has been since.

Btw, that's one thing BIS only proponent(s), like favalarry69, don't take the time to make clear: If you think it should be BIS onlly, should it be Delta-style BIS on all elite-earning metal (ie, simply lifetime EQM), or should it be UA-style BIS on AA metal only? Why does one major competitor think it's better one way and the other think it's better the other way?

(Actually, the same question can be asked of anyone who feels it should be more than BIS only but less than "all miles count".)
Obviously I hope AA keeps the program as it is and remains unique. It's not that I'm really all that close to LT Plat...I think I'm at 1.3MM or something...I just think it's a good program and an incentive to choose AA partner miles over other partner miles. But if they do change it, I suppose all-EQM would be the intermediate point.

I hope AA doesn't consider itself a follower of Delta. It seems like AA and UA watch each other closely but DL tends to do things somehow differently. (FWIW, I've always generally liked both the UA and AA programs.)
Old May 1, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
I guess philosophically I've always looked at low and mid tier statuses at airlines and hotels as acquisition and upsell tools...ways to get people engaging with your brand and using it more. Nobody gives away truly good customer service nor truly valuable upgrades (international) until the top-tier.
Yeah, I agree. I've had only a couple of years as a Platinum and the rest as Gold and, sadly, I see Gold as a way to escape some of the hassles (long check-in lines, nuisance fees) more than a means to "special" treatment. My husband (no status) and I did get an upgrade to Business when I was Platinum on a LHR-ORD flight where they oversold Coach, but I knew that was a rarity.
Old May 1, 2011, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uxb
I think the "swell" would still be a problem even w/o LT status because AA is just a better programme than DL or UA. I mean, redemption has always been way easier on AA than its competition.
I agree with you on redemption. I still don't think "swell" is a problem: it means that the product is popular and there's demand for it.

Even if they made the aforementioned tweak to attempt to "protect" regular Plats from LT Plats (modifying the upgrade algorithm) as a way to effectively manage that demand I think overall they have a very, very good thing here.
Old May 1, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by sdsearch
You apparently missed this guy's posts:

Of course, I doubt he has either clout with or crystal ball into AA...
What I meant is that no one seems to seriously believe that existing status will not be grandfathered. I realize that at least one person here would like it to be otherwise however.
Old May 1, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Question on how to get 500k AA miles by the time the change rolls around

First off, sorry for the lenghty post.

Currently I'm sitting at about 501k lifetime AA miles (mostly from credit cards). My goal obviously was to get to 1mm for lifetime gold. And eventually 2mm for lifetime platinum. Clearly 2mm is way out of the question with recent talk. I really want gold for the less of a hassle aspect of traveling + free checked bags.

Here's my situation:
  • I have about 215k SPG points (getting about 4k a month from CC spend, so we can safely assume 220k by the end of May). I was saving these in hopes of another 35% bonus on transfers like AA did last year.
  • Also I have family members who are already lifetime gold (and several hundred thousand away from lifetime plat) who have well over 100k miles in their account.
  • In addition, I have NOT ever purchased miles from AA so that is an option.

Now on to the limitations:
  • I already seem to be maxed out on AA citi credit cards, having 2 personal cards and 2 business cards open right now.
  • Also, I've done the netflix bonus, AA dining bonus, energy plus bonus (7500 miles, still pending so hopefully that hits before the changes), aa shopping bonus, and every other easy to obtain bonus I can think of.

By my calculations, transferring the SPG points, at the current exchange rate, will net me 275k AA miles (~371k if they redo the 35% bonus, which I can't count on). In addition I can "share" 100k miles from my father's account into mine for $1120 and buy another 40k for $830. If I put these fees on a credit card, that's another 2k in AA miles.

So that puts me at 501k + 275k + 100k + 40k + 2k = 918k. How can I get another 82k miles asap. Bankdirect is not an option as I don't have much in savings. Edit: If the energy plus bonus hits before the cutoff, I'll only need 75k.
Old May 1, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP .72MM
What I meant is that no one seems to seriously believe that existing status will not be grandfathered. I realize that at least one person here would like it to be otherwise however.
If someone already has Lifetime GLD/PLT AA would be in for lots of trouble if the tried to take status away!!
Only thing they could do is change the labeling and not call it AA GLD or PLT...but these people already got their status.....

It would be an as AA moves forward the rules woould change!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.