Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Public evidence of possible changes to Million Miler Program?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Hm...

I'm at 1.6M and 2M has been part of the retirement plan, basically looking for lounge access whatever class Mrs. Sinanju and I happen to be flying in the later years. I have time to get there if only BIS miles count, but it will certainly take longer.

It would certainly make Citi's product less attractive than it already is and would require a rethink on what sort of leverage one gets accumulating hotel points vs miles. If the hotel points provide better leverage per dollar, the Citi card potentially drops out altogether as the backup the the SPG Amex and perhaps the SPG Amex is traded for an HHonors card...

/Hm...
Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sinanju
It would certainly make Citi's product less attractive than it already is and would require a rethink on what sort of leverage one gets accumulating hotel points vs miles.
Yup. If credit card miles are out, the Citi card will be the first thing to go unless they do something else to make it more attractive.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by logicalrealist
Yup. If credit card miles are out, the Citi card will be the first thing to go unless they do something else to make it more attractive.
I know - you don't even get double miles for AA purchases. Without counting toward lifetime status, and now that the bonuses are waning, this card could become a real dog.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by logicalrealist

Like enable churning again for spendable miles at least! Fat chance in hell though...
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:24 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
My dilema is that I'm so close that if they made the change to BIS today it would still be possible for me to qualify in a few months or less. I would prefer to qualify early January for the SWUs but will wait for any announcement before making any decision about what to do.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:40 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by nkedel
I assume he just means miles, not putting his retirement in AMR. ... although in fairness, I did drop some cash on a few hundred shares of AMR, but I'm not crazy enough to put a non-trivial portion of my savings into it.
Originally Posted by achuang24
Investing in airline stocks for the long haul is just plain crazy. It is just a bad business model with tight regulation, high fixed costs, unionized employees, fierce competition, and fuel risks.
Originally Posted by uxb
I bought into AMR when it was $3,25- and went long. Should have sold it when it went to $10,- last March. Crazy, I know. Then again, I also bought heavily into SIRI at $0,0675/share and IBM at $98,-/share. I guess I will ditch AMR after it rebounds from the second dip in our Great [not-a-depression] Recession.

Like some others who have posted my preference is holding a position in AMR for about 7 to 10 days. Bought on Monday after reading the blogger's "alpha" article before market open. Sold on Wednesday around noon for +6%. Not even going to whine that if I sold today it would have been over 8% as the 6% will easily buy this retiree a couple more flights.

OK back to the regular program about the speculation and those who whine about the speculation. Just keep it from getting personal
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by sinanju
Hm...

I'm at 1.6M and 2M has been part of the retirement plan, basically looking for lounge access whatever class Mrs. Sinanju and I happen to be flying in the later years. I have time to get there if only BIS miles count, but it will certainly take longer...
Just curious as to what lounge access has to do with LT Plat?
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: My views are strictly my own and do not reflect the views of any company.
In the interest of keeping my reputation and reliability intact... my fingers are frozen until further notice. I stand by my comments as of the date I made them.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by pkerr
International itineraries I presume.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
LT Plat essentially also means LT oneworld Sapphire. It may not give a LT PLT holder a lifetime AC access except for discounts, but it gives them lifetime of oneworld lounge privileges when traveling on int'l itineraries.

And considering most of those lounges are far superior to ACs, it is (was?) a good deal to reach LT PLT if you do lots of int'l travel.

Last edited by kebosabi; Apr 29, 2011 at 11:50 am
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
They get OneWorld lounge access when traveling internationally.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kebosabi
LT Plat essentially also means LT oneworld Sapphire. It may not give a LT PLT holder a lifetime AC access except for discounts, but it gives them lifetime of oneworld lounge privileges when traveling on int'l itineraries.

And considering most of those lounges are far superior to ACs, it is (was?) a good deal to reach LT PLT if you do lots of int'l travel.
^

Getting to 1MM has some great benefits for sure, but due to all the international travel I do, LT PLT is definitely something to look forward too. Too bad I'm 997k away and the MM changes are coming up potentially.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:07 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by trinity_in_texas
In the interest of keeping my reputation and reliability intact... my fingers are frozen until further notice. I stand by my comments as of the date I made them.
Thanks tnt @:-)
I believed you than and believe you now
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
They get OneWorld lounge access when traveling internationally.
Is that a change? When I was LT PLT but not BA Gold, I didn't think that BA let PLTs into their lounges. So, either I was mistaken or they've changed the rules.

I'm both LT PLT and BA Gold, but I steer some trips to BA miles so that I can remain Gold. Interesting.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by shawbridge
Is that a change? When I was LT PLT but not BA Gold, I didn't think that BA let PLTs into their lounges. So, either I was mistaken or they've changed the rules.

I'm both LT PLT and BA Gold, but I steer some trips to BA miles so that I can remain Gold. Interesting.
BA can be stingy, but you are allowed in as a OW Sapphire. I was in LHR's Cathay Pacific lounge just two months ago on an AA itinerary and it was far superior than AA's offering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.