Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Public evidence of possible changes to Million Miler Program?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Starwood
Unhappy Paranoid again

Here I am, away on vacation and made the mistake of checking in on FT. Now the paranoia starts again. I sit here at 1,867,000 miles. My goal has been to get the lifetime platinum under my belt. I only fly about 8-10 times per year so BIS miles are slow in coming. I have gotten spoiled with an upgrade rate over 90% as a humble Gold.

I did not want to pass 2 million miles until next year to take off the pressure of having to use the eVIP's in a shorter period of time. It's hard to know what AAdvantage intentions are. If they change the program I would get caught short. Will they change the program overnight without fair warning? It is their playground and they make the rules. I can transfer 100K SPG points and can purchase the few remaining miles and get this done by next week. This is the direction I am leaning towards but am I being overly paranoid?

My other major concern is the solvency of American Airlines. I have put my lifetime eggs in their basket. How much longer can they continue to burn through quarterly losses.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:23 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by JumboD
Why do I think that they are making the decision on when to announce/implement changes based on whether they want all of the extra revenue from people topping off miles/signing on with partners who purchase miles in huge blocks (like financial partners) to go in Q2 or Q3? If they are very close to goals for Q2 then perhaps they'll induce people to go on mileage binges prior to 7/1, while if they're already way behind it may make more sense to get it to happen in Q3, when they still have a chance of meeting predictions.
You're assuming a great deal of collaboration, coordination and precision among IT, marketing and finance.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:26 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by FertilityDoc
Here I am, away on vacation and made the mistake of checking in on FT. Now the paranoia starts again. I sit here at 1,867,000 miles. My goal has been to get the lifetime platinum under my belt. I only fly about 8-10 times per year so BIS miles are slow in coming. I have gotten spoiled with an upgrade rate over 90% as a humble Gold.

I did not want to pass 2 million miles until next year to take off the pressure of having to use the eVIP's in a shorter period of time. It's hard to know what AAdvantage intentions are. If they change the program I would get caught short. Will they change the program overnight without fair warning? It is their playground and they make the rules. I can transfer 100K SPG points and can purchase the few remaining miles and get this done by next week. This is the direction I am leaning towards but am I being overly paranoid?

My other major concern is the solvency of American Airlines. I have put my lifetime eggs in their basket. How much longer can they continue to burn through quarterly losses.
Agreed, which is one reason I am not gonna bulk up on AA miles. I will easily become LT GLD this year. The road to PLT will be longer (perhaps).
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 3.8mm, DL gold
Can anyone comment on whether up until now those crossing 1mm still receive 8 e500 upgrades if they have a North American (for AAdvantage purposes) address and 4 SWU upgrades if their address is outside of that territory?
Don't quote me on this but I believe when I crossed 1mm I received 4 EVIPs (SWU's) and received another 4 EVIPs when I passed 2mm. I have a North American address. I could be wrong but I believe I did get EVIP's when I crossed the first million.

I need 100,000 more miles to hit 3 million...how sick is that?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
My other major concern is the solvency of American Airlines. I have put my lifetime eggs in their basket.
Yikes! Now that's scary!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by chiproos
How sick is what?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FewMiles
I love how any real content on FT comes from other websites.

I think physical changes to their website are pretty substantial data. Not saying there hasn't been a bunch of other "stuff" on here though, ha.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:07 pm

Can anyone comment on whether up until now those crossing 1mm still receive 8 e500 upgrades if they have a North American (for AAdvantage purposes) address and 4 SWU upgrades if their address is outside of that territory?
I can confirm that with a US address, after I hit 1mm in March, I was given 8 e500 upgrades. I can't speak to ex-US.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
My other major concern is the solvency of American Airlines. I have put my lifetime eggs in their basket.
Yikes! Now that's scary!
I assume he just means miles, not putting his retirement in AMR. ... although in fairness, I did drop some cash on a few hundred shares of AMR, but I'm not crazy enough to put a non-trivial portion of my savings into it.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Avis PC
Life is full of unknowns, to get certainity usually will cost you some money. If you are very close, go for it just to be safe. Are you planning to transfer 100K SPG points to AA in the future anyways? If so, go for it to buy yourself some certainity. If not, I will wait as I imagine AA will give us fair warning prior to changing the program drastically. Remember, this is all just speculation.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nkedel
I assume he just means miles, not putting his retirement in AMR. ... although in fairness, I did drop some cash on a few hundred shares of AMR, but I'm not crazy enough to put a non-trivial portion of my savings into it.
Investing in airline stocks for the long haul is just plain crazy. It is just a bad business model with tight regulation, high fixed costs, unionized employees, fierce competition, and fuel risks.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum

I did not want to pass 2 million miles until next year to take off the pressure of having to use the eVIP's in a shorter period of time.
You will have until 2/28/2013 to use the eVIPs.

Originally Posted by chiproos
Don't quote me on this but I believe when I crossed 1mm I received 4 EVIPs (SWU's) and received another 4 EVIPs when I passed 2mm. I have a North American address. I could be wrong but I believe I did get EVIP's when I crossed the first million.

It must be nice to have had so many eVIPs that you cannot remember correctly. I would guess a well earned Executive Platium status.

I received my first eVIPs when I hit 2 MM and not at 1MM.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:23 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by achuang24
Investing in airline stocks for the long haul is just plain crazy. It is just a bad business model with tight regulation, high fixed costs, unionized employees, fierce competition, and fuel risks.
I bought into AMR when it was $3,25- and went long. Should have sold it when it went to $10,- last March. Crazy, I know. Then again, I also bought heavily into SIRI at $0,0675/share and IBM at $98,-/share. I guess I will ditch AMR after it rebounds from the second dip in our Great [not-a-depression] Recession.

Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Is there a bonus for traanser of miles on aa.com, aka, Shaare Miles. (from one AA account to another)

I know that there is (was) a 30% discount to buy miles, also a current 20% off to buy miles,

I am just curious? I know terrible return, but to top off into MM it might be worth it.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Starwood
Not all my eggs in AA's basket

Originally Posted by nkedel
Retirment in airline stocks. Absoluely no way. I am sure I own some through mutual funds and index funds. But I have put my hopes for continuing elite status in AA. I probably will not be able to achieve this with any other airline if they get into trouble. If Amercan goes under and I lose my miles and status, I will probably be out of the frequent flyer game and will book lowest fares alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.