Search

how best to check award availability? business to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
how best to check award availability? business to Europe

So i called AA res number to check for a one way business class ticket from Athens Greece (or Naples/Rome Italy as secondary choices) to NY or ORD. For unique reasons i could go to Chicago or NY after the trip and im willing to travel to Italy if i have to.

AA res told me that there is nothing available and i have searched almost every date in July.

As this a non-AA destination Athens/Naples at least how is it best to partners?

I am even willing to overnight in Europe for a night or two in London or Budapest or Madrid. I cant believe that there is nothing nothing in all of July

What are the tricks the experts use to search the one world availability. I hate that i cant find availability online myself.

I had a similar situation on co 800 number recently for a trip where i was told nothing. Within minutes i found multiple options connecting using multiple partners on continental.com but thankfully their website lists partners for award travel so it was easy. I bet i could come up with some combo if i could search online what do the experts recommend for one world?

Last edited by bdlman; Apr 16, 2011 at 11:37 pm
Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:40 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you might be able to use the ba site for your routing....i think that they fly to/from athens & on to ny....i think you will have register to use it....

the experts trick is to look for july flights the prior august....

i would check on aa.com for an award from mad/cdg/fra/bru/lhr/fco to jfk/ord...if you find the aa part, call aa and see if a partner flight might be available or buy 1....good luck....

good luck...
Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i just looked at fco-jfk & any time awards seen to be available....good luck...

edit to add....we have a similar problem....want dfw-bdl 12/23 & ret 12/27...no saver 1ston the non stops [don't want conx]....i'm not surprised....but, have had luck w/stickers in years past....however, looking at $650 ea...not hijacking your thread, just offering condolences from a kindred soul...i hope you find something....

Last edited by clacko; Apr 17, 2011 at 5:22 am
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:13 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
There are no saver awards into the New York area at all this summer. It is 100K per ticket each way or nothing.

But. There is a work around of sorts. Try flying into Hartford or another neighboring location. You may get routed through Chicago, but there are saver seats avaiable. (oddly, if you list ORD it won't go through, but BDL will with a connection in ORD)

Good luck!
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've been monitoring the Saver Awards into FCO for July and August. FCO has turned out to be a difficult ticket this year. I've not seen a J Saver anywhere in the schedule going all the way to 330 days out. With only two flights per day into FCO, it appears they can sell their daily inventory of 56 J seats. About 3-4 weeks ago, even the Y Saver Awards seemed to dry up for this summer.

I booked my Y Saver last Fall to lock in at 30K miles and have been waiting to see if J Savers ever open up. At this point, I have no expectation of this happening. BA may be the only option, but I didn't want to pay the BA fuel charges. I booked (DCA-ORD-FCO) 3 Y seats for $15 taxes + 90K miles.

My return is from CDG in J. Those seats appear to also be gone from Saver availability. That was an incredible bargain, (CDG-DFW-SJC) 3 J seats for $390 taxes + 150K miles.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 5:38 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by bdlman
So i called AA res number to check for a one way business class ticket from Athens Greece (or Naples/Rome Italy as secondary choices) to NY or ORD. For unique reasons i could go to Chicago or NY after the trip and im willing to travel to Italy if i have to.

AA res told me that there is nothing available and i have searched almost every date in July.

As this a non-AA destination Athens/Naples at least how is it best to partners?

I am even willing to overnight in Europe for a night or two in London or Budapest or Madrid. I cant believe that there is nothing nothing in all of July

What are the tricks the experts use to search the one world availability. I hate that i cant find availability online myself.

I had a similar situation on co 800 number recently for a trip where i was told nothing. Within minutes i found multiple options connecting using multiple partners on continental.com but thankfully their website lists partners for award travel so it was easy. I bet i could come up with some combo if i could search online what do the experts recommend for one world?
There you go:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.1.2/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/OneWorld/AU-QFA-SP1]
Code:
ATH  Athens Eleftherios Venizelos GR [LGAV]
MAD  Madrid Barajas ES [LEMD]
FRI  01 Jul 2011 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
IB         3883    ATH   07:10     MAD   10:05     321      CS+  YS+
IB         3887    ATH   14:05     MAD   17:00     320      CS+  YS+
IB         3885    ATH   16:50     MAD   19:40     321      CS+  YS-
MA         231     ATH   05:15     BUD   06:15     73G      CS+  YS-
 -> MA     580     BUD   10:25     MAD   13:35     73G
[KVS Availability Tool 6.1.2/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/OneWorld/AU-QFA-SP1]
Code:
MAD  Madrid Barajas ES [LEMD]
NYC  New York Metro NY US = JFK LGA
FRI  01 Jul 2011 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
IB         6253    MAD   16:50     JFK   19:05     340      FS-  CS+
BA         455     MAD   07:05     LHR   08:20     767      FS+  CS-
 -> BA     185     LHR   10:15     EWR   13:00     777
IB         6275    MAD   11:55     ORD   14:15     340      FS+  CS+
 -> AA     358     ORD   15:40     LGA   19:05     M83
IB         3172    MAD   15:25     LHR   16:45     321      FS+  CS-
 -> BA     183     LHR   20:00     JFK   22:35     744
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, PC Platinum
How does the KVS availability tool work? Is it free?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
Thanks KVS

I will definitely look into that tool. It looks extremely useful!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:01 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by dmdflyer
Please see the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post11971225 thread and http://Levels.KVSTool.com/ for membership options.

Originally Posted by bdlman
Thanks KVS

I will definitely look into that tool. It looks extremely useful!
You're welcome!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 1:57 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Iberia via Madrid looking at separate sectors on BA.com^

IMHO Iberia's TATL Business Class is also superior to AA, avoid a stopover of more than 24 Hours in UK or your Air Taxes will treble.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:44 am
Val

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 Million Miles
I just signed up for ExpertFlyer after a 3 year absence. Pissed to find that they dont support Iberia for awards.

Oh well. Just $10 down the drain. Will give KVS a look. Last time I used KVS (very long time ago), they were free.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by dmdflyer
It takes data from free airline websites, yet it is not free. In the case of OW, Qantas and BA. So you can get the same data by using those websites directly.

Originally Posted by Val
Oh well. Just $10 down the drain. Will give KVS a look. Last time I used KVS (very long time ago), they were free.
KVS is no longer free, even though the underlying data is. For a solution that has a free version, I use AwardNexus. It uses the same QF and BA airline websites for the OW award search to get the data.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pete4212
KVS is no longer free, even though the underlying data is.
To be fair, that is a complete over-generalization. For example, the maximum permitted mileage information in KVS is not free elsewhere.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
To be fair, that is a complete over-generalization. For example, the maximum permitted mileage information in KVS is not free elsewhere.
Not at all. The topic of this thread is award availability, of which all comes from free websites (airlines). Same goes for regular availability and most everything else.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:45 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Val
I just signed up for ExpertFlyer after a 3 year absence. Pissed to find that they dont support Iberia for awards.

A warm welcome back to the KVS Tool!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.