Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

18,000 Cathay Pacific (Asia Miles) miles - how to transfer to AA?

Old Apr 13, 11, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Hello everybody!

First, I would like to introduce myself, since this is after all my first post! In the last few weeks, I've started to decide that I want to make it a personal commitment myself to get the most out of my flying as I can. Up until this point (I'm 24), I've never traveled enough or spent enough cash to really feel that I could benefit from programs (My extent of frequent flier benefits was the Southwest program).

Now, I'm dedicating myself to learning the AAdvantage program inside-out to the point of really seeing good benefits. I've read some of the wiki but am still confused on the details; I'm sure I'll figure them out as I go along.

And here is my first question. I hope it's not too much of a newbie one:

I'm traveling to Hong Kong, Thailand and Shanghai in a couple months. I decided to fly Cathay Pacific (not because of the AAdvantage program), so i purchased my tickets through Cathay. Itinerary below:

Upon buying the tickets, I signed up for Asia Miles program. I then signed up for the AAdvantage program. I have an Asia Miles and AAdvantage account.

My question is, can someone explain to me the following:

1. can I transfer these miles to my AA account?
2. How many miles will these translate to? (I've highlighted the booking classes)
3. Will these count towards the 25,000 points I have to collect for elite status?

Finally, do I need to wait to complete my flights in May/June before taking action, or should I take action now?

Thanks in advance!
Sean
Old Apr 13, 11, 11:40 pm

Programs: OW Sapp, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

1. What do you mean transfer? Once you earn your miles in Asiamiles account, you cannot transfer it from Asiamiles to AAvantage and/or vice versa. However, if you say AAdvantage is your main program, the non-eligible class flights could be put into your asiamiles accounts.

2. AAdvantage only recognizes CX flight in Y,B,H class, therefore, the L class tickets will not be eligible to credit miles to your AAvantage account. As a result, 18150 - 7248(HKG-LAX) - 1048(BKK-HKG) = 9854 mi will be credit to your account.

3. Where are the points held? AAdvantage or Asiamiles?
Since you are in the AA forum page, I am assuming your are saying AAdvantage with 25k EQP. Since your eligible booking are in Y,B class, 1.5x of the miles will be translated as EQP, i.e. 14781 EQP will be added to your account, on top of 25000 points you mentioned.
If you are saying Asiamiles, the whole number of miles shown on CX page will be straightly added to your Asiamiles account. No doubt.

Lastly, I dunno what action you are referring to.

Details please refer to "http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/travel/airlines/cathayPacific.jsp"

Last edited by andy1022; Apr 13, 11 at 11:55 pm
Old Apr 14, 11, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andy1022 View Post
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

1. What do you mean transfer? Once you earn your miles in Asiamiles account, you cannot transfer it from Asiamiles to AAvantage and/or vice versa. However, if you say AAdvantage is your main program, the non-eligible class flights could be put into your asiamiles accounts.

2. AAdvantage only recognizes CX flight in Y,B,H class, therefore, the L class tickets will not be eligible to credit miles to your AAvantage account. As a result, 18150 - 7248(HKG-LAX) - 1048(BKK-HKG) = 9854 mi will be credit to your account.

3. Where are the points held? AAdvantage or Asiamiles?
Since you are in the AA forum page, I am assuming your are saying AAdvantage with 25k EQP. Since your eligible booking are in Y,B class, 1.5x of the miles will be translated as EQP, i.e. 14781 EQP will be added to your account, on top of 25000 points you mentioned.
If you are saying Asiamiles, the whole number of miles shown on CX page will be straightly added to your Asiamiles account. No doubt.

Lastly, I dunno what action you are referring to.

Details please refer to "http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/travel/airlines/cathayPacific.jsp"
Thanks for the replies!

I am a little confused...

I did not have an AA account when I purchased the tickets, I made an Asia Mile account right before. I purchased the tix about 2 weeks ago.BUT, I still do not see any miles in my Asia Miles account.

Did I just lock my miles in the Asia Miles program, or can I call Asia Miles to "transfer" the eligible miles to my AA account?

PS: I do not have any miles or points in my AA account right now.... I just opened the account a few days ago.
Old Apr 14, 11, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try to upgrade that outbound flight if possible; B class is fairly high in the pecking order and CX Y is tight.
Old Apr 14, 11, 4:06 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
You don't need to transfer the miles to AA. Just call Cathay and give them your AAdvantage number and your reservation number. Tell them you want AAdvantage miles for the flight (you cannot get both AAdvantage miles and Asia Miles for the same trip, of course). Then when you take the trip, the miles will go directly to your AAdvantage account.
Old Apr 14, 11, 6:06 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by SeanS View Post
I did not have an AA account when I purchased the tickets, I made an Asia Mile account right before. I purchased the tix about 2 weeks ago.BUT, I still do not see any miles in my Asia Miles account.
You don't get the miles (AA or Asia miles) when you purchase the tickets, you get them when you actually complete the flights
Old Apr 14, 11, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum/LT Gold(1.3MM current method/1.51MM old method)/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by justageek View Post
You don't need to transfer the miles to AA. Just call Cathay and give them your AAdvantage number and your reservation number. Tell them you want AAdvantage miles for the flight (you cannot get both AAdvantage miles and Asia Miles for the same trip, of course). Then when you take the trip, the miles will go directly to your AAdvantage account.

Just to make sure I got this correct, if say hypothetically I purchase a CX ticket which isn't able to accrue EQM's (such as L or K miles), would I still be able to earn AA miles?

I did this hypothetical booking on CX and got the following:

"Asia Miles/Total/AAdvantage"
19,728 /19,728/No
Old Apr 14, 11, 8:57 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by Jacobin777 View Post
Just to make sure I got this correct, if say hypothetically I purchase a CX ticket which isn't able to accrue EQM's (such as L or K miles), would I still be able to earn AA miles?

I did this hypothetical booking on CX and got the following:

19,728 /19,728/No
Welcome to FT, Jacobin!

I'd strongly encourage you to read the FAQs, do a search, and even check out aa.com. At the bottom, I've linked a few threads you may want to read through.

I think you're confusing the program a bit. When flying CX using a CX flight number, you only earn miles when flying A, F, C, D, I, J, Y, B, and H fares. You get 100% base miles on all these fares. You get a Class of Service bonus of 25% for the business class fares and 50% for the first class fares in the form of additional EQMs. H earns 1 EQP/Mile. Y, B, and the First and Business fares all earn 1.5 EQP/Mile. So, you will not earn AAdvantage miles from BKK-HKG and HKG-LAX.

As others have already pointed out, you do not earn miles until you fly the flights. You can switch programs to deposit the miles into at any time until you take the flight. You can only earn in one program at a time.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...hayPacific.jsp

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ragon-air.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-using-aa.html
Old Apr 14, 11, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Try to upgrade that outbound flight if possible; B class is fairly high in the pecking order and CX Y is tight.
Thanks for the tip!

Can you explain to me how I should go about trying to upgrade the flight? What can I say? Am I trying to upgrade to Business or First class, and is there a fee?

I've never flown Cathay before.

I'm a pretty big guy (6'2", heavy build). I fit in a single airline seat, but it's a very snug fit. Most of the time I prefer if there is either no one or a child next to me. Should I tell them this?

Finally, what do you mean by "CX Y is tight."

Thanks for all the help!

Originally Posted by emma dog View Post
Welcome to FT, Jacobin!

I'd strongly encourage you to read the FAQs, do a search, and even check out aa.com. At the bottom, I've linked a few threads you may want to read through.

I think you're confusing the program a bit. When flying CX using a CX flight number, you only earn miles when flying A, F, C, D, I, J, Y, B, and H fares. You get 100% base miles on all these fares. You get a Class of Service bonus of 25% for the business class fares and 50% for the first class fares in the form of additional EQMs. H earns 1 EQP/Mile. Y, B, and the First and Business fares all earn 1.5 EQP/Mile. So, you will not earn AAdvantage miles from BKK-HKG and HKG-LAX.

As others have already pointed out, you do not earn miles until you fly the flights. You can switch programs to deposit the miles into at any time until you take the flight. You can only earn in one program at a time.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...hayPacific.jsp

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ragon-air.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-using-aa.html
Hello emma dog!

How do the booking letters get assigned? is there a way for me to retroactively go back to Cathay and ask to change my booking class to a higher one, even if I have to pay a little more?

Also, can you explain HOW the booking classes are assigned to each ticket? s it based on price?

Originally Posted by justageek View Post
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer View Post
You don't get the miles (AA or Asia miles) when you purchase the tickets, you get them when you actually complete the flights
Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 14, 11 at 9:25 am Reason: merged consecutive posts - please consider using "multi-quote" function
Old Apr 14, 11, 10:08 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...

How do the booking letters get assigned? is there a way for me to retroactively go back to Cathay and ask to change my booking class to a higher one, even if I have to pay a little more?

Also, can you explain HOW the booking classes are assigned to each ticket? s it based on price?
When you purchase a ticket, you are purchasing a particular fare class. The assignments have been made before the purchase and can be reviewed. You can typically change the fare class (you can search for "upfare" for more detail) by paying fare difference and, often, change fees.

The assignments roughly follow fare- "higher" fare classes have fewer restrictions and typically cost more. But this is not always consistent, at least within the AA framework. I can't speak to the CX system as I don't know it as well.

Cheers.
Old Apr 14, 11, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Originally Posted by Jacobin777 View Post

19,728 /19,728/No
On the Cathay US site, pick 'Economy Standard' - you should get an H class and a 'Yes' - and about $300 higher price (I selected LAX to HKG to PVG, depending what dates you pick).

I'm a pretty big guy (6'2", heavy build). I fit in a single airline seat, but it's a very snug fit. Most of the time I prefer if there is either no one or a child next to me. Should I tell them this?
Not sure if you've been watching the Asia Biz news but CX is doing quite well these days. And the flights from LAX to HKG go out full or almost full. So the odds of having an empty seat next to you is pretty remote. And if they do CX will probably put one of their higher tier Marco Polo or Asia Miles members next to it.
Old Apr 14, 11, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally, what do you mean by "CX Y is tight."

I'm a hair short of 6', and simply can't tolerate it without sleeping meds (which are easy to obtain in China otc, but not in the US).

Since your outbound is in B class (second best economy fare class), you should try to upgrade, if possible. One avenue would be to fetch OneWorld elite status in advance of your trip because operational upgrades are very common on CX (even Marco Polo general members stand a decent shot of scoring them).

Apart from that, consider parting with some miles in oder to make it happen. Your B fare helps your cause a great deal, but you need to do a bit more work in order to improve your upgrade odds.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: