Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A stupid Mistake, and a Simple Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2011, 5:53 am
Original Poster

A stupid Mistake, and a Simple Question

Recently I began a trip to Europe, flying ORD-YUL-LHR-OTP. Upon arriving at YUL, I did not collect and re-check my bags for my onward itinerary. A very stupid mistake, and I know I should have been aware of Canadian Customs policy before leaving, but I wasn't. I'm not asking about compensation or anything of that nature, but was wondering simply if at check-in the agent usually tells the traveler if it is necessary to re-check bags at any point along an itinerary? Of course I'm referring to itineraries flown as connecting flights, not stopovers etc. Again, I know it was 100% my fault, and am absolutely not looking for anything other than an answer to my question.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JNB280
Recently I began a trip to Europe, flying ORD-YUL-LHR-OTP. Upon arriving at YUL, I did not collect and re-check my bags for my onward itinerary. A very stupid mistake, and I know I should have been aware of Canadian Customs policy before leaving, but I wasn't. I'm not asking about compensation or anything of that nature, but was wondering simply if at check-in the agent usually tells the traveler if it is necessary to re-check bags at any point along an itinerary? Of course I'm referring to itineraries flown as connecting flights, not stopovers etc. Again, I know it was 100% my fault, and am absolutely not looking for anything other than an answer to my question.
I don't recall having ever been told whether or not I need to pick up bags at an intermediate point. I may have been, and simply had not remember. And yes, it is important to understand this ahead of time. You could also ask at check-in, but I would not rely on the TA to always be correct. Errors happen.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
The simple answer based on my experience (which is almost always Latin America-US port of entry-other US destination) is that the check-in AAgent at the LatAm airport always reminds me, "Remember to claim your bags in MIA (or DFW)" if I'm checking a bag. A similar reminder is always given in the FA announcements before landing. The U.S. procedures are pretty cut and dry, and you'd hope that a regular international traveler knows them.

I've never connected international-to-international through Canada.

Last edited by SJOGuy; Mar 20, 2011 at 6:29 am
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I would say that more often than not, I am not reminded at check-in of the need to claim and re-check bags, but that there is always an announcement by FAs of the need to do that. This announcement is normally made between touchdown and door opening, so I only have to remember for a few minutes. Another real clue is if everybody is funnelled into a room full of baggage carousels. If I don't have to claim and recheck, connecting passengers go one way and terminating passengers go another way, and connecting passengers don't see the room full of baggage carousels.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gemac
I would say that more often than not, I am not reminded at check-in of the need to claim and re-check bags, but that there is always an announcement by FAs of the need to do that. This announcement is normally made between touchdown and door opening, so I only have to remember for a few minutes. Another real clue is if everybody is funnelled into a room full of baggage carousels. If I don't have to claim and recheck, connecting passengers go one way and terminating passengers go another way, and connecting passengers don't see the room full of baggage carousels.
There were definitely no announcements made made by the FA. As my connecting flight was delayed, I went land-side so I did pass right past the baggage carousels on my way out of the airport, which makes me feel even more clueless for not stopping for a bit to see. I could have asked the customs official when exiting air-side on top of it all, but that would have taken reason and logic, of which I was both clearly missing at the time. Since I exited the airport, I didn't take the "normal" route for transiting passengers, so I don't know where I would have wound up had I gone that route. Bottom line, it seems that it is not S.O.P. for the check-in agent to remind the traveler of these policies. I don't blame anyone but myself for this, but was curious if I had missed something along the way. Lesson learned.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
JNB280, I'm sorry for your situation. Did you ever recover the bags?

I don't think this is a situation where the airline does not fairly owe the customer any compensation. They did what they were supposed to do-- deliver the bags to the baggage claim.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phil_flyer
JNB280, I'm sorry for your situation. Did you ever recover the bags?

I don't think this is a situation where the airline does not fairly owe the customer any compensation. They did what they were supposed to do-- deliver the bags to the baggage claim.
Yes, they came two days later, delivered to where I am staying. As I previously stated, I in no way was looking for compensation of any kind, just curious if I had missed the pertinent information at some point. As an aside, because the YUL-LHR-OTP was on BA, they handled the situation, and said I was entitled to 100EU of necessities, if need be. I had my garment bag (and laptop) as carry-ons, so had clothes to get me through for a few days in case I did have any issues with my checked bags. It all worked out fine in the end. I agree that the airline did what they were supposed to do, it was never a question of their competence. Rather a question of just how brain-dead I was.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: 1MM UA
Years ago I flew Dublin to Glasgow to Chicago. I asked if my bags would be checked through, and was told yes. But in Glasgow they told everyone to recheck their bags, so I went and was glad I did.

Ever since, I haven't had any problem, and I ask when I'm in doubt.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 2:59 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Yes, they came two days later, delivered to where I am staying.
Although I'm sure you had some stress along the way, I find it quite nice to have your bags just delivered to your hotel.

...because the YUL-LHR-OTP was on BA, they handled the situation, and said I was entitled to 100EU of necessities, if need be....
Good for you. BA can be pretty nice.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
When flying to the US but with a connecting flight, foreign AAgents always remind me to claim my bags at my US port of entry. I did have one flight via NRT where the AAgent in BOS insisted that I would need to claim my bags in NRT and clear customs before continuing to TPE (not true), and was using that as an excuse to not bother to check my bags onwards to TPE where the flight was on a separate ticket. So I assumed from that point that AAgents are not always informed about such things.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:09 pm

At check-in at Madrid on AA and end of Feburary, bag drop lady reminded me twice to collect my bags during MIA transfer, also GA made annouccment when we landed and they opened door. I also remember hearing numerous annoucments at MIA bag claim.

Was unaware of this on my flight Europe-US connection ZRH-JFK-IAD on LX/UA, and thankfully ground agent made annoucment when opening door, saved me a huge headacher.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, DL Gold, ANA Plat
I don't recall if I've been told, but my personal rule is that when ever I transit a country, I check for my bags or ask the FA.
If I have to go through security again, bags are subject as well.
Just me being @nal.
Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taipae, Tokyo, as well as entering the US, as far as I can remember, require re-checking bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.