Wiki Posts
Search

Booked on United and Feeling Like a Traitor

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
Booked on United and Feeling Like a Traitor

Need to travel to FRA and now that AA has eliminated ORD/FRA and down-gauged DFW/FRA to 767 while somewhat increasing their fare to where my travel department notices the difference, needed to book an alternative. So now I am on United for the first time in a long time. I guess the good news is they status matched me to 1k for a 90 day challenge so I wont be a "nobody". United has a very easy match process with 24hr response on the match thing which was nice but still I feel like a traitor.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Well, decisions a management team makes have consequences. If Arpey wants to engage in draconian cuts from markets he claims to be cornerstones, or essentials, then there's bound to be consequences for them.

AA abandoned you, not the other way around.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:32 pm

A company is a thing, not a person. Things are incapable of love and loyalty. So why would you have love or loyalty for a thing?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
SAN-BOS trip, second weekend of July.

AA: $688 (cheapest)

UA(CO):$369 (cheapest)/ $419 (most convenient times)

I can pay a "premium" of maybe up to $150 with AA to earn the miles...

but $269-$319 fare difference for what? I may commit treason as well.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
You are not betraying anybody. AA is an entity, it is not a person. So it's not like you are breaking up with anybody who has feelings.

Why are we collecting FF miles and trying to get status? For our own benefit. Just like AA tries to maximize what they can get from us (money), we can maximize what we want from AA to fulfill our selfish interests. And if AA cannot provide that, then there is nothing wrong with going elsewhere.

Of course there is nothing wrong being a fan of something that's for profit. Lot's of people are fans of their local football team.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Why not just fly ORD-LHR-FRA?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat
A month ago, I "had" to book a short hop for work: SFO-ONT (LA) on United/SkyWest. Well, due to "operations" my flight was cancelled. Auto-rebooked for the last flight of the day. Cancelled. Auto-rebooked the following morning. Cancelled in the middle of the night. Auto-rebooked for the last flight of the day. I gave up and asked for a refund. It's still being "processed" right now. *sigh* Left a real bitter taste in my mouth regarding UA.

Yes, I'm sure United is better on its transcons and international flights, and it was the standard SFO weather, and all the standard excuses for SFO and UA.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jakuda
A month ago, I "had" to book a short hop for work: SFO-ONT (LA) on United/SkyWest. Well, due to "operations" my flight was cancelled. Auto-rebooked for the last flight of the day. Cancelled. Auto-rebooked the following morning. Cancelled in the middle of the night. Auto-rebooked for the last flight of the day. I gave up and asked for a refund. It's still being "processed" right now. *sigh* Left a real bitter taste in my mouth regarding UA.

Yes, I'm sure United is better on its transcons and international flights, and it was the standard SFO weather, and all the standard excuses for SFO and UA.
Just because you had bad luck on that trip doesn't mean UA is at fault.

I don't believe that UA/UX canceled both flights for two days in a row due to operations. If it ever happened it was probably due to major winter storm weather (we had that a couple times this year) and I can find plenty of similar cancellations on AA.
Plus UA flies into LAX, BUR, SNA and PSP - all within reasonable driving distance from ONT - not sure how your work travel allows waiting two days before canceling instead of flying into another airport or simply driving.

You "being processed" complaint is likely related to CC not UA, even when the refund is issued it takes time for CC to post it. Same on AA or any other carrier.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by azepine00
Just because you had bad luck on that trip doesn't mean UA is at fault.

I don't believe that UA/UX canceled both flights for two days in a row due to operations. If it ever happened it was probably due to major winter storm weather (we had that a couple times this year) and I can find plenty of similar cancellations on AA.
Plus UA flies into LAX, BUR, SNA and PSP - all within reasonable driving distance from ONT - not sure how your work travel allows waiting two days before canceling instead of flying into another airport or simply driving.

You "being processed" complaint is likely related to CC not UA, even when the refund is issued it takes time for CC to post it. Same on AA or any other carrier.
You don't have to rationalize it for me for UA's sake; I've flown UA countless times previously. I was UA1K in the past. I don't think AA is perfect either. AA has just done a better job for me overall recently

For that one experience, UA operations and weather were both at fault. United express/skywest gets the shaft whenever there is any disturbance in the Force near SFO.

You don't believe it was operations, and I can tell you that your belief is wrong. Unitedcargo.com and the CSRs both stated "operations" as vague as that can be. SFO was not experiencing heavy thunder storms at the time, only some wind.

My work travel was for non-mandatory training. Driving distance is not the same as driving time. I don't feel like driving in LA Country traffic to Diamond Bar. I lived in LA long enough to hate driving there. AA doesn't fly to ONT, so UA was the only option timing and price wise.

Your comment regarding my refund being "processed" as likely being the CC's fault is incorrect. It took UA 4 weeks for their refund department to process the refund. Just today did I get an email saying it was done and now it will take one more week before it shows up on my credit card.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
I've been flying UA as well. It's not that bad with E+ and free upgrades. I hit 2MM on AA last year and now don't feel all that loyal (strange I know).
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:33 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Being a STL guy I can tell you first hand AA is walking a lot of business. Delta now has more flights here than AA and both are second to Southwest. The AA rationale that we all hear is that they can't make money on these routes. Who is to blame for that???? This is the incredibly shrinking airline. Now that Virgin has sales to LAX and SFO from DFW, I am curious to see what AA does. Do they compete on routes like this that they need to survive or rationalize giving up plane size and frequency because they can't make money.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:08 pm

who cares?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:05 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree
who cares?
And your point is?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I can understand your position. I'm flying on DL this coming week due to all the AA & AS fares w/connections being about 2-3x what DL was charging for a direct flight. At least with AS status I have an outside chance at an upgrade. We'll see how it goes...
Old Mar 12, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Don't worry, the bitter UA flight attendants will give you the punishment you deserve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.