Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Help with Figuring out how to transfer AMEX MR to BA to AA Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLT, AA ExPlt

I know this might sound like a repeat post but there are so many regarding this topic, I wanted to get some clarification for my situation since I know there are so many skilled FTers who can maneuver around this situation.

Here's where I am:

Amex MR : 140K
I have about 140k Amex MR points that I want to use that I've accumulated on my Gold card. I've fully transitioned to my SPG Amex but want to get the most out of my points before I close the card.

I've read that you can transfer the MR points to BA miles and then use them domestically on AA flights. Can anyone confirm if thats the case? I know the points don't transfer into my AAdvantage account (I'm a platinum member) but can I just book AA flights from my BA account and use my Platinum privileges?

Thanks for all your help!
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by milkchug
I've read that you can transfer the MR points to BA miles and then use them domestically on AA flights. Can anyone confirm if thats the case? I know the points don't transfer into my AAdvantage account (I'm a platinum member) but can I just book AA flights from my BA account and use my Platinum privileges?
Yes and yes. BA miles can be used for domestic AA travel, and for such tickets BA do not charge the dreaded fuel surcharge. Note that award tickets cannot be upgraded (unless you are offered a LFBU at a kiosk), but your AA Platinum status will get you through the elite security line and on the plane earlier.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Gold VIP
You just also missed a great opportunity... AMEX was offering a 40% bonus on transfers to BA Executive Club until Mar31. Great deal.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Note that when you redeem BA miles for AA flights, it is BA's award chart and award rules that govern, not AA's. There are some differences between the two programs.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLT, AA ExPlt
Originally Posted by BlassSJU
You just also missed a great opportunity... AMEX was offering a 40% bonus on transfers to BA Executive Club until Mar31. Great deal.
Argh, I know... What a waste!
Maybe they will do it again?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
While it's not a very good exchange rate, you could also "launder" your points through SPG so they could go directly to your AA account. 1,000 MR points is good for 333 Starpoints, but then you can get a 25% bonus if you transfer them in blocks of 20k, so 140k MR points is good for roughly 46,660 Starpoints, which convert to 56,660 AA miles (assuming you only transfer those points taken from your Amex account).
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:03 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave
... but your AA Platinum status will get you through the elite security line and on the plane earlier.
Would the OP also be able to book exit rows?

or rather, if I used my BA miles to fly AA domestic Y, would my lowly AA Gold status still entitle me to choose the exit rows on this BA award ticket?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by sk3
Would the OP also be able to book exit rows?

or rather, if I used my BA miles to fly AA domestic Y, would my lowly AA Gold status still entitle me to choose the exit rows on this BA award ticket?
I don't think so. Pretty sure there was a thread on here about someone booking AA metal with an AA FF # but an IB flight number and they weren't able to book preferred seats.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by JumboD
I don't think so. Pretty sure there was a thread on here about someone booking AA metal with an AA FF # but an IB flight number and they weren't able to book preferred seats.
I can confirm that's true for IB/AA, but I think that's a codeshare and an "Iberia is bass-ackwards" issue, and may have no bearing on the scenario in question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.