Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Embargo on boxes, excess, oversize and overweight baggage for LPB

Old Mar 9, 2011, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond

Anyone else notice this? There is a "permanent" embargo on boxes as well as excess, oversize and overweight baggage for La Paz, Bolivia. I guess that means only suitcases weighing less than 50lbs will be permitted? Hmmmm, I have my Amex Plat $200/year benefit on AA because of travel to Bolivia when I almost always have to pay for overweight baggage, but it appears I won't even be able to check a bag if it's overweight.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Where have you read that you can't check an overweight bag? On the relevant page on aa.com here it states:

"Bags weighing 51-70 lbs. will be accepted with the collection of the applicable charge"
Old Mar 9, 2011, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by britenbsas
Where have you read that you can't check an overweight bag?
It says right on that page that they don't accept overweight bags, but it defines overweight as 71+ pounds.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 1:33 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Where have you read that you can't check an overweight bag? On the relevant page on aa.com here it states:

"Bags weighing 51-70 lbs. will be accepted with the collection of the applicable charge"
That line cited covers bags that are "heavy" or above standard weight...

AA clearly defines the definition of "overweight" in the sentence just before yours:

For the destinations identified below, boxes† and excess, overweight (more than 70lbs.), or oversized pieces will not be accepted for transportation.
(bolding mine)
And the OP does seem to be speaking explicitly of "overweight" (i.e. 70lb+) bags.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I should have made the distinction between overweight and heavy. I tend to bring "overweight" (70+ lb) luggage with me. Didn't even think about the 51-70 lbs still being allowed.

I guess I will bring 2 bags, each weighing 70lbs. If I read it correctly, I cannot bring a 3rd bag, regardless of the weight or if I am willing to pay. Same goes with boxes, NO boxes allowed period.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by technique
I guess I will bring 2 bags, each weighing 70lbs. If I read it correctly, I cannot bring a 3rd bag, regardless of the weight or if I am willing to pay. Same goes with boxes, NO boxes allowed period.
Well, if you're willing to pay for business class you can bring three bags...
Old Mar 9, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by jordyn
It says right on that page that they don't accept overweight bags, but it defines overweight as 71+ pounds.
Originally Posted by JY1024
That line cited covers bags that are "heavy" or above standard weight...

AA clearly defines the definition of "overweight" in the sentence just before yours: And the OP does seem to be speaking explicitly of "overweight" (i.e. 70lb+) bags.
The OP did talk about not being able to check bags over 50lbs which is in fact allowed; Over 70lb, no.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 3:34 pm

The OP did talk about not being able to check bags over 50lbs which is in fact allowed; Over 70lb, no.
You seem to be skipping over the fact that both JY1024 and I were responding to your question "Where have you read that you can't check an overweight bag?"
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by technique
Anyone else notice this? There is a "permanent" embargo on boxes as well as excess, oversize and overweight baggage for La Paz, Bolivia. I guess that means only suitcases weighing less than 50lbs will be permitted? Hmmmm, I have my Amex Plat $200/year benefit on AA because of travel to Bolivia when I almost always have to pay for overweight baggage, but it appears I won't even be able to check a bag if it's overweight.
Are you saying AA changed the rules afer you put the AMEX benefit on AA?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:47 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mvoight
I don't think AMEX changed the rules as much as AA changed the rules.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
Yes, I believe so. Not sure when this "permanent embargo" started, but it had to have been recently because on my last trip to Bolivia (end of 2010) I brought my usual 85lb box and 2 80lb suitcases and paid the regular fees. Unless the check in counter didn't know about the embargo on my last trip and I got "lucky".

Originally Posted by mikelat
I don't think AMEX changed the rules as much as AA changed the rules.
Correct. Amex didn't change anything as far as I know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.