Wiki Posts
Search

London Check-In Options?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
London Check-In Options?

I likely missed a SWU when I was unable to check-in online LHR-LAX. I'm on the same flight next week and am looking for a backup plan.

Is it possible to check-in at Paddington 24 hours in advance? Other options?

Thanks.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
What makes you think that checking in caused you to lose the seat?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
What makes you think that checking in caused you to lose the seat?
emma dog is correct - the upgrade waitlist ranking is based on the time/date of the original request, not time of check-in. Thus checking in at T-24 wouldn't have helped.

edit: except it might have (see below). Mea culpa.

Last edited by rjw242; Mar 7, 2011 at 4:14 pm
Old Mar 7, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by rjw242
emma dog is correct - the upgrade waitlist ranking is based on the time/date of the original request, not time of check-in. Thus checking in at T-24 wouldn't have helped.
Actually, the consensus on FT is that although check-in time is irrelevant for 500-mile upgrades, it does matter for SWU upgrades. It's been discussed quite a few times in the consolidated SWU thread
Old Mar 7, 2011, 4:09 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rjw242
This is incorrect, for the most part. Ordering on the airport control list for SWU/miles+copay upgrades is based on check-in time, so checking in earlier is better. Of course, if the upgrades happens within 24 hours, but before the airport control list takes over, it is still original request time.

Originally Posted by britenbsas
Actually, the consensus on FT is that although check-in time is irrelevant for 500-mile upgrades, it does matter for SWU upgrades. It's been discussed quite a few times in the consolidated SWU thread
This is correct.

Cheers.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by ferriswren
I likely missed a SWU when I was unable to check-in online LHR-LAX. I'm on the same flight next week and am looking for a backup plan.

Is it possible to check-in at Paddington 24 hours in advance? Other options?

Thanks.
Why were you unable to use OLCI? I say fix that issue and check in exactly 24hrs before.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 4:14 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by chanp
Why were you unable to use OLCI? I say fix that issue and check in exactly 24hrs before.
Not easy to fix if it doesn't work for someone. The times I've had it not work, I called web support and was told that they don't have fix instructions at present- they're just gathering data on failure cases for the developers. So, if it doesn't work for someone, it's not very likely to be fixed. Not like this feature hasn't been out for a while

Cheers.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Priority clearly changes from time of original request at LHR, but it's my understanding that the AA software won't roll over credit card information for the additional APD due on an UG and one has to furnish it at the ticket counter there to get placed on the waitlist (and I believe it's the time that is done that determines priority), so I'm not sure that OLCI would have made a difference for you. (I've also been told by one AAgent that the reason I couldn't OLCI was because of the UG request, but I don't know that that was correct.)
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rfrost
Priority clearly changes from time of original request at LHR, but it's my understanding that the AA software won't roll over credit card information for the additional APD due on an UG and one has to furnish it at the ticket counter there to get placed on the waitlist (and I believe it's the time that is done that determines priority), so I'm not sure that OLCI would have made a difference for you. (I've also been told by one AAgent that the reason I couldn't OLCI was because of the UG request, but I don't know that that was correct.)
Interesting. This would make for a difficult choice, especially with AA holding back confirmation of SWUs. How early to get to LHR and how much that will increase the odds of an upgrade.

Still wondering if Paddington check-in is an option and how early.

Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
As I said in another thread, last time I was able to check in online with a waitlisted SWU, and my card was charged without having to present it. So it is worth a try.

My guess is that there may be different ways that agents can set up the waitlisted SWU, some of which are flagged for manual intervention.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Tried to check-in by phone last time with no luck. Will give it another shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.