Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Phone fee when you can't book online?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Personally I'm dissatisfied with those who dispute agreed upon fees and cost me more money to use legitimate services. Who do I dispute this with?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dcstudent
1) I would not challenge the fees through my credit card, BUT

2) I do think these fees are an unfair practice and I have complained countless times to the DOT in the (somewhat vain) hope they will ban them or at least institute an investigation. Why?
The only thing that would be illegal about fees would be if you weren't notified of them. Since you have complained multiple times to DOT, then we can assume you know all about the ticketing fee. So, what is the legal basis of your complaint. The fee is part of the cost of the product. It is not a product you are forced to buy. I'd rather my water bill be based solely on the amount of water I use, but it isn't. Part of it is, part of it isn't. Is it "fair".. Not in my mind, but this is life...
Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
The only thing that would be illegal about fees would be if you weren't notified of them. Since you have complained multiple times to DOT, then we can assume you know all about the ticketing fee. So, what is the legal basis of your complaint. The fee is part of the cost of the product. It is not a product you are forced to buy. I'd rather my water bill be based solely on the amount of water I use, but it isn't. Part of it is, part of it isn't. Is it "fair".. Not in my mind, but this is life...
Very well put!

When we lived at Sarasota our water bill is based on a arbitrated minimum calculated by number of persons in the residence. Even you are not at home for a month, you still have to pay the minimum which is like $40 a month... Is it fair? Not in my mind, but Can I avoid it? Unless I opt not to use the service...

The phone booking fee is just like that. It is a service fee. You can avoid it by not using the service.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Exclamation New policy: Can't ticket held award online, after phone agent makes a change

Heads up.

I had a roundtrip award booked online and on hold. I wanted to change the time on the return, but the outbound flight was no longer available for a saver award for a new reservation. So I called AA to have them change the return on the existing held reservation.

When I've done this in the past, they've made that change and left the reservation on hold, so I could ticket it online and avoid phone booking fees. Today, the agent told me that if they made the change, I'd no longer be able to purchase online, and would be subject to the fees if I ticketed it by phone. When I asked if this was new, they confirmed that this was a new policy. I hung up and called back, and the second agent confirmed what the first had told me.

In my case, since it's just a time change, I can ticket it as is and then change the time later for no fee. But for other possible changes (e.g. dropping the return altogether), that might not be an option.

Last edited by swag; Dec 6, 2011 at 9:54 pm
Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I think about this, I wouldn't be surprised if the new policy also applies to held revenue tickets as well as awards.

It's always been frustrating when AA charges a phone fee for something that can't be done online. But that's been slowly improving over the years, as they add capabilities to the website. This seems like a big step backwards, though: a case where the fee used to be avoidable but no longer is.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I didn't think this was new, but I know in a lot of cases it applies to revenue tickets. For example, I'll occasionally put a ticket on hold, and then apply my eVIPs before purchase. Once that's done, you must ticket with the phone agent; you can't go back and purchase online.

Agreed, though, it's frustrating to have to pay a "convenience fee" for something you can't do any other way.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott Rewards
Can not book an award reservation held by a phone agent?

I called AA earlier and had a couple of award seats held. I have been told by several agents in the past (as recently as tonight by the representative who held the award seats for me!) that I can avoid phone booking fees by ticketing online before the five day hold expires, but for the life of me I cannot find a way to book/ticket this reservation online.

I called AA back and the gentleman says there is a $25+tax fee per ticket.

What's the "real deal" ?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
The "real deal" is that you have to pay+ticket a reservation by phone if you originally put it on hold via phone. I think that before, it may have been possible to hold via phone and then pay online. But regardless, the rule makes sense to me. Otherwise, people would be taking up agents' time with reservations and then ticketing it online to get out of paying the $25 fee.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's actually gotten worse.

In the past, you could hold it online, then call AA to change the held reservation, and still ticket it online for free. Not any more.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-change.html
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I can confirm I have the same issue. There are some routings that simply are not found on AA.com. When I book for others, I placed the flight on hold and changed it over the phone then purchase it over the phone. I can no longer do that.

Also, it looks like if you need to remove one person from the itinerary, it will trigger the ticketing fee.

These fees would not be unreasonable if it was possible to do such changes online.

Last edited by Xero; Dec 14, 2011 at 9:40 am
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott Rewards
It's all good. I really don't mind paying if that is what AA feels like it must do to keep it's doors open. I for one would rather not see AA fold. I am just wanting to see how this really works, given I was told two different things by AA. Also, if I can save a couple of dollars here and there, that's even better, of course. But hey, paying say $30 x 5 x 2 (fees and taxes, round trip for five) is ALOT more preferable than paying say $500 x 5.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:18 pm

Telephone Ticketing Service waiver "not possible"

Recently booked an award ticket on AA + a partner airline and just got the receipt. As perhaps I should have known, there is a $25 Telephone Ticketing Service charge.

I should add that I booked the AA portion on aa.com and then called up only to have the partner leg added. I just called to speak to a rep (and eventually a supervisor) about waiving the fee, and I was told it is "not possible" to waive. Give me a break! It is certainly possible. Indeed, waiving any fee is possible, it appears that AA just doesn't want to waive it.

Does anyone else think it somewhat absurd that customers have to pay a fee due to a lack of functionality on aa.com? I know BA is very good about waiving telephone fees when it isn't the customer's fault for not booking online. This is a poor policy and one worth rectifying. IMHO. But maybe I'm just expecting too much...
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
This complaint comes up all the time.

Yes, it is silly that AA charges this fee for awards you can't book online. No, they won't waive it just because you tell them you can't book it online.

If you want to book an award involving partners other than AS and aren't an EXP, it's one of those things you have to live with.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onfo
Recently booked an award ticket on AA + a partner airline and just got the receipt. As perhaps I should have known, there is a $25 Telephone Ticketing Service charge.

I should add that I booked the AA portion on aa.com and then called up only to have the partner leg added. I just called to speak to a rep (and eventually a supervisor) about waiving the fee, and I was told it is "not possible" to waive. Give me a break! It is certainly possible. Indeed, waiving any fee is possible, it appears that AA just doesn't want to waive it.

Does anyone else think it somewhat absurd that customers have to pay a fee due to a lack of functionality on aa.com? I know BA is very good about waiving telephone fees when it isn't the customer's fault for not booking online. This is a poor policy and one worth rectifying. IMHO. But maybe I'm just expecting too much...
Not really, and not any more.

AS flight cannot be booked online with BA either. BA stands firmly the telephone booking fee would not be waived because, guess what? it is not bookable online to begin with! This essentially is the SAME stance AA takes.

In the past BA sometimes would waive telephone booking fees on flights that CAN BE BOOKED online but its system failed to allow such booking online. The latest data from that front is, BA no longer waives such fee.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Not really, and not any more.

AS flight cannot be booked online with BA either. BA stands firmly the telephone booking fee would not be waived because, guess what? it is not bookable online to begin with! This essentially is the SAME stance AA takes.

In the past BA sometimes would waive telephone booking fees on flights that CAN BE BOOKED online but its system failed to allow such booking online. The latest data from that front is, BA no longer waives such fee.
Good distinction, and I misspoke - you're right. I was trying to book a JFK-HEL award on BA and for some reason it wasn't showing availability even though awardnexus was, and I got the fee waived...that was the situation I was thinking of so thanks for pointing it out.

In any event, I still think it's lame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.