4 SWU for use by 2/28 !

Old Feb 17, 11, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA exp 3MM
4 SWU for use by 2/28 !

I have 4 unused SWU which expire at the end of this month.

Here is the deal. They will go (one by one) to the members who make the largest charity donation to a verifiable (using IRS rules) charity. Any offer over $500 instantly gets the upgrade (kinda like 'but it now' on eBay). I don't want the tax deduction, or anything else. I just want some lucky charities to benefit and some lucky members to 'get outta coach'.

As proof, I'll need to see a pdf file of the receipt (with the charities EIN on it). You ought to make sure the upgrades can clear before applying. Offer begins now and ends 24 hours from now. So the charity receipt has to be marked within that period.

On your mark, get set...
Old Feb 17, 11, 9:52 am

I like it!!

I was thinking I really like your idea, then I looked up and saw you were from Austin and it all made sense.
Old Feb 17, 11, 10:02 am

Programs: WN A-list and CP, AA Gold, Kimpton IC (RIP) Hertz PC
What about charitable donations of time? My wife spends numerous hours of her time at Gilda's Club of North Texas. I only ask because I'm taking the wife on a quick trip to SFO this weekend.
Old Feb 17, 11, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Just wanted to say this is the best way of giving out SWU that I have ever seen on here. Good on you, may many more land in your lap
Old Feb 17, 11, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by wacamo View Post
I have 4 unused SWU which expire at the end of this month.

Here is the deal. They will go (one by one) to the members who make the largest charity donation to a verifiable (using IRS rules) charity. Any offer over $500 instantly gets the upgrade (kinda like 'but it now' on eBay). I don't want the tax deduction, or anything else. I just want some lucky charities to benefit and some lucky members to 'get outta coach'.

As proof, I'll need to see a pdf file of the receipt (with the charities EIN on it). You ought to make sure the upgrades can clear before applying. Offer begins now and ends 24 hours from now. So the charity receipt has to be marked within that period.

On your mark, get set...
Totally Awesome !!!!
This is the best idea I have seen on FT as for SWU giveaways.
Everyone who wants to donate their SWUs from now until 28th Feb should use your idea rather than giving it for free to the 1st person who PMs them. Last year on CC, I saw some people basically wanting a SWU for almost free saying that it would anyway expire. I ended giving it up to a helpful colleague and her family.

Kudos to you !!!!
Old Feb 17, 11, 10:43 am

Donate them to the make a wish foundation.
I saw a post on that somewhere here on FT.
They really can use them.
Old Feb 17, 11, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA exp 3MM
Make-a-Wish would be good, but I think their timeframe is more like 30 days.

Come-on folks!! You KNOW you want 'em, you know you neeeed 'em.

All for a good cause.... let's get the bidding higher!!!
Old Feb 17, 11, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Nice way to use expiring eVIPs. Even as someone wary of those from Austin, good call here
Old Feb 18, 11, 12:49 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
I ended up giving my last two EVIPs to a couple going to Haiti for volunteer work. I just went to the airport hoping to give them away when i asked the agent if there was anyone going international. Lo and behold the couple checking in were going to Haiti and the rest is history. Call it coincedence or fate, but I am glad I did give them the EVIPs.
Old Feb 18, 11, 12:55 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Last year I tried calling Fisher House about their using my expiring eVIPs, but they said they could not. They only take miles donations and those are turned into award tickets (which are not eligible for upgrading).

Any family members that buy their tickets, they do not have information about, and even if they did could not give that info out due to privacy policy.

I then tried an indirect route, and offered to those who donated miles to Fisher House. I even let them be miles in any FF program (as Fisher House collects them from many FF programs).

This year I have a ridiculous 11 eVIPs to "dispose" of. I tried offering 4 to my cousin and his new wife as a wedding present, and then the same to two other extended family couples I'm close with. No takers after 1.5 years. So they are coming to the end of their life.

Would be nice if I could eke out another year for the newlyweds, though I don't know if they will have any better chance of doing a trip this year. They had a baby 9 months after the wedding.

Steve32

Search this Thread
Search Engine: