eVIP and BA

 
Old Feb 13, 11, 4:43 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,420
eVIP and BA

I'm not a AA frequent flyer so kind of new to this. I tried to do my research on flyertalk but there seems to be some conflict informations. I'm assuming there were some recent changes in the last few years and I couldn't what I read is current or not.

I read that in order to use eVIP on BA, you need to purchase a full fare. But is it possible to upgrade just the AA portion of a ORD<--(AA)-->LHR<--(BA)-->AMS itinerary on O fare?

What about same itinerary but bought through BA (so the AA operated leg is BA coded)?
hw711 is offline  
Old Feb 13, 11, 4:59 pm
  #2  
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Posts: 57,301
Originally Posted by hw711 View Post
I'm not a AA frequent flyer so kind of new to this. I tried to do my research on flyertalk but there seems to be some conflict informations. I'm assuming there were some recent changes in the last few years and I couldn't what I read is current or not.

I read that in order to use eVIP on BA, you need to purchase a full fare. But is it possible to upgrade just the AA portion of a ORD<--(AA)-->LHR<--(BA)-->AMS itinerary on O fare?
Yes, no problem if ORD-LHR is AA marketed (coded) and operated.

Originally Posted by hw711 View Post
What about same itinerary but bought through BA (so the AA operated leg is BA coded)?
No longer possible due to the BA codeshare.

Choose wisely.
Spiff is offline  
Old Feb 13, 11, 5:09 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,420
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Yes, no problem if ORD-LHR is AA marketed (coded) and operated.



No longer possible due to the BA codeshare.

Choose wisely.
Unfortunately it's too late, the tickets are bought. I got in on the $400ish translantic AA deal back in November. Recently decided to take lady friend with me as her valintines day present. But the same flights as me on AA was almost $1000 so I bought her the same flights on through for $300 cheaper.

What if I call and get the AA confirmation number for her BA ticket? AA confirmation number will pull up her itinerary on AA with AA flight number, right? Would that make a difference?
hw711 is offline  
Old Feb 13, 11, 5:42 pm
  #4  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,503
Originally Posted by hw711 View Post

What if I call and get the AA confirmation number for her BA ticket? AA confirmation number will pull up her itinerary on AA with AA flight number, right? Would that make a difference?
Nope. As already answered, if it was purchased as the BA codeshare number,game over.

Also, can you point to where you read about using eVIPs (now called SWUs) on BA full-fare flights as that is not correct and should be fixed?

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Feb 13, 11, 6:02 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ORD
Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
Posts: 953
Originally Posted by hw711 View Post
I'm not a AA frequent flyer so kind of new to this. I tried to do my research on flyertalk but there seems to be some conflict informations. I'm assuming there were some recent changes in the last few years and I couldn't what I read is current or not.

I read that in order to use eVIP on BA, you need to purchase a full fare. t?
What you are thinking of is BA gives you the "privilege" of using miles+copay to upgrade into Economy plus when on full fare Y. IMHO the miles and copay are not worth going into Y+, and full fare Y you can buy Y+ and sometimes J for a similar price
millsdale is offline  
Old Feb 13, 11, 6:12 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,420
Originally Posted by millsdale View Post
What you are thinking of is BA gives you the "privilege" of using miles+copay to upgrade into Economy plus when on full fare Y. IMHO the miles and copay are not worth going into Y+, and full fare Y you can buy Y+ and sometimes J for a similar price
Gotcha. I must have been reading about a eVIP on BA flight thread through a search and the thread got off topic to mile upgrade and I got confused.
hw711 is offline  
Old Feb 13, 11, 10:51 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Posts: 6,985
aren't Q, I and O fares also non-upgradeable with a SWU ? or did I dream that ?
cynicAAl is offline  
Old Feb 13, 11, 11:39 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: LAX + JFK
Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold
Posts: 110
Originally Posted by cynicAAl View Post
aren't Q, I and O fares also non-upgradeable with a SWU ? or did I dream that ?
Only if you've been in a coma for the past two years.

AA made those fares EVIP/MFU upgradeable at some point in 2009.
PABitz is offline  
Old Feb 14, 11, 12:37 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Posts: 6,985
Originally Posted by PABitz View Post
Only if you've been in a coma for the past two years.

AA made those fares EVIP/MFU upgradeable at some point in 2009.
that's when I dropped from EXP, so yes, I've been in a coma since then. thanks for the info.
cynicAAl is offline  
Old Feb 14, 11, 2:27 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BLR
Programs: AA - EXP/2MM, 9W-Plt, Marriott Gold
Posts: 685
rumour speak but two months ago, i was doing ORD-MAD on IB.. asked the ORD FL agent if I could use SWU on IB, and he said not yet - but it is in the works... so hope for the best!
galaticos is offline  
Old Feb 14, 11, 2:58 pm
  #11  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: EXT, LHR & ORD
Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,548
Originally Posted by galaticos View Post
rumour speak but two months ago, i was doing ORD-MAD on IB.. asked the ORD FL agent if I could use SWU on IB, and he said not yet - but it is in the works... so hope for the best!
now that WOULD be good news ... and BA as well hopefully
holmedown is offline  
Old Feb 14, 11, 3:58 pm
  #12  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,503
Originally Posted by holmedown View Post
now that WOULD be good news ... and BA as well hopefully
The rumor (and this has been discussed elsewhere) is that BA would be from Econ to Econ+ with SWU. Not a good rumor at all.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Dec 21, 12, 4:59 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Programs: AA Exec Plat, CO OnePass, UA
Posts: 280
Originally Posted by brp View Post
The rumor (and this has been discussed elsewhere) is that BA would be from Econ to Econ+ with SWU. Not a good rumor at all.

Cheers.
Almost Two years later, What's the latest on these "Rumours"?
ThunderStorm00 is offline  
Old Dec 21, 12, 5:53 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 3,049
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm00 View Post
Almost Two years later, What's the latest on these "Rumours"?
coming soon, please check back in late 2014 ...
Mark_T is offline  
Old Dec 26, 12, 3:29 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BLR
Programs: AA - EXP/2MM, 9W-Plt, Marriott Gold
Posts: 685
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
coming soon, please check back in late 2014 ...
if the merger goes through - check back in 2020
galaticos is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: