Wiki Posts
Search

"R" Inventory on TATL Int'l Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
"R" Inventory on TATL Int'l Flights?

Having used EF for awhile now, it seems that there is a sudden and somewhat weird increase of AA "R" inventory showing up on my scheduled 3 class TATL flights compared to prior times. In this case both my outbound and return flights each show R7, along with J7 & F7. It's a little bit if a mystery since the definition I was able to look up for "R" was the following, and doesn't seem to fit the bill:

"Upgrade from coach using e-upgrades. EXP, 500-mile, and some Passenger Sales ('kiosk') Upgrades from Economy to Business on 3-class transcons and 2-class short-haul international flights (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America). Operational Upgrades. Also used on certain promotional upgrades by travel & corporate agents, and paid business class inventory on international flights."

Have others observed this and does anyone have a simple explanation for under what circumstances this "R" inventory is applied?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Having used EF for awhile now, it seems that there is a sudden and somewhat weird increase of AA "R" inventory showing up on my scheduled 3 class TATL flights compared to prior times. In this case both my outbound and return flights each show R7, along with J7 & F7. It's a little bit if a mystery since the definition I was able to look up for "R" was the following, and doesn't seem to fit the bill:
I believe 'R' is a discount Business Class bucket for many OneWorld was moving carriers. It's generally more expensive than I, less flexible than D or J.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by bernardd
I believe 'R' is a discount Business Class bucket for many OneWorld was moving carriers. It's generally more expensive than I, less flexible than D or J.
I believe R appears about 18hrs prior to departure and its a way inventory control lets AA gate agents know of "op-ups" for TATL flgihts... Also I believe R is upgrade for corporate desks who store those BusinessExtrA and Airpass customers... that's just my observation.. all my op-ups from LHR-ORD recently from Y-J have been marked as "R"..
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
As noted, on international flights where stickers are not valid, X and R inventory can be used for various purposes, including op-ups, discount paid fares when issued by partner airlines, and some special corporate/BusinessExtrAA/etc. upgrades and awards. Oftentimes, X inventory is available far in advance on flights like NRT in order to accommodate business clients wishing to use BusinessExtrAA coupons to upgrade.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
I'll throw my two cents in. I bought a counter-upgrade Y to J at FRA for FRA-DFW and BP showed R class inventory used.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Yea, pretty sure R is for non-mileage / SWU upgrades. Things like corporate certificates, Business Extraa, etc. X (for first) is like that and I think this is the same.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by galaticos
I believe R appears about 18hrs prior to departure and its a way inventory control lets AA gate agents know of "op-ups" for TATL flgihts... Also I believe R is upgrade for corporate desks who store those BusinessExtrA and Airpass customers... that's just my observation.. all my op-ups from LHR-ORD recently from Y-J have been marked as "R"..
Just to add some additional background, these flights are 2 weeks and 4 weeks out respectively, so this is way outside of the 18hr window , and I'm on the SWU upgrade wait list.

Last edited by teemuflyer; Feb 13, 2011 at 8:48 am Reason: added to comment
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by troyb
Yea, pretty sure R is for non-mileage / SWU upgrades. Things like corporate certificates, Business Extraa, etc. X (for first) is like that and I think this is the same.
SWU is classed as "C" in biz and "A" in First..
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver

"Upgrade from coach using e-upgrades. EXP, 500-mile, and some Passenger Sales ('kiosk') Upgrades from Economy to Business on 3-class transcons and 2-class short-haul international flights (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America). Operational Upgrades. Also used on certain promotional upgrades by travel & corporate agents, and paid business class inventory on international flights."

Have others observed this and does anyone have a simple explanation for under what circumstances this "R" inventory is applied?
(Emphasis added.) It seems to me like the bolded part fits the bill pretty clearly.

For example, searching AA.com for AUS-LHR on Feb 27, I see a non-refundable R fare under "Business Special" on AA 50 DFW-LHR.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Used to be the Concorde.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Used to be the Concorde.
I'm nigh on certain that AA never codeshared on Concorde flights. With few exceptions (full fares and the like), each airline is free to use the codes as it sees fit, and I don't believe AA has ever had need to use R for Concorde flights.

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 13, 2011 at 9:32 am
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
(Emphasis added.) It seems to me like the bolded part fits the bill pretty clearly.

For example, searching AA.com for AUS-LHR on Feb 27, I see a non-refundable R fare under "Business Special" on AA 50 DFW-LHR.
I noticed that as well, but didn't want to jump to any conclusions. But it does seem that they have expanded the number of seats allocated to this fare class quite a bit. Just as a side note, I do find it somewhat interesting the "Instant Upgrade" option is more than $1600 more expensive than the "Business Special" fare (AA 50 on Feb 26th) although according to the chart provided on AA.com, they are almost identical in features and flexibility. The chart also says that for both of those ticket types being Refundable "Varies".
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Microwave
I nigh on certain that AA never codeshared on Concorde flights. With few exceptions (full fares at the like), each airline is free to use the codes as it sees fit, and I don't believe AA has ever had need to use R for Concorde flights.
But I can hope, can't I? I'm thinking that it might be perfect for SJU-SXM....
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Just as a side note, I do find it somewhat interesting the "Instant Upgrade" option is more than $1600 more expensive than the "Business Special" fare (AA 50 on Feb 26th) although according to the chart provided on AA.com, they are almost identical in features and flexibility. The chart also says that for both of those ticket types being Refundable "Varies".
The general chart says "varies", but the "flight details" for that specific flight says instant upgrade is refundable first class (A, not business on the international segment), while business special (R) is not (and business, obviously). That explains a $1000 fare difference.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
The general chart says "varies", but the "flight details" for that specific flight says instant upgrade is refundable first class (A, not business on the international segment), while business special (R) is not (and business, obviously). That explains a $1000 fare difference.
And who said that this was complicated??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.