Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Killing time in AA terminal at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Killing time in AA terminal at LAX

Will be there from 1:30pm to 4:30pm on Saturday Feb 19. Flying ORD-LAX-LIH.

Are there any decent restaurants within security. I was planning on going to have lunch at encounter as that seems to be the most interesting thing at LAX but if I could avoid leaving the secured area that would be a plus.

It crossed my mind to pay for the admirals club. But $100 for 2 people seems high. Only domestic lounge I have been too was red carpet club at ORD and that was not worth nearly that much to me. I feel like I can do much better for my dollar at a restaurant.

Any other ideas?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Unfortunately, T4's restaurant selection is abysmal: two Starbucks, Brioche Doree, Burger King, and Chili's Too. Whenever possible I try to eat before heading to the airport just to avoid the inevitable intestinal distress brought on by these places.

If you're elite on AA, leaving the secured area shouldn't be too big a deal since you can get back in via the Priority AAccess line. In that case there's definitely enough time in your layover to check out Encounter or In'n'Out. If you're not elite I wouldn't risk it - I've seen the regular security line stretching all the way around the terminal and out the door!

The LAX Admirals Club is sometimes a good place to celebrity-spot, but I wouldn't pay $100 for it.

edit: just realized that, given your handle, In'n'Out Burger might not be your cup of tea
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Take one of the off-site car rental shuttles...or just walk north from the terminals (past the Raddison). It takes about 10-15 minutes to get to the shopping centers with restaurants, shops, etc.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Plat, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by rjw242
Unfortunately, T4's restaurant selection is abysmal: two Starbucks, Brioche Doree, Burger King, and Chili's Too. Whenever possible I try to eat before heading to the airport just to avoid the inevitable intestinal distress brought on by these places.

If you're elite on AA, leaving the secured area shouldn't be too big a deal since you can get back in via the Priority AAccess line. In that case there's definitely enough time in your layover to check out Encounter or In'n'Out.
So you prefer intestinal distress from In'n'Out?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by bobtray
So you prefer intestinal distress from In'n'Out?
Of course. Much rather get it from In'n'Out than Burger King.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.4 MM)
There is also an On The Border Mexican restaurant in T4 at LAX.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by hindukid
I am surprised that you think time will be tight. I am not elite but I figured no big deal since I will be checked in already. I would have thought getting back to terminal at 3:30 for 4:35 pm flight would be no issue. Is that too tight?
Yeah, that's most likely fine; the longest I've waited in the non-elite security line is 30-40 minutes so in all likelihood your wait will be shorter. If you leave the airport you'll also have to factor in how much time it takes to catch and ride shuttles, etc., but a short excursion should be possible. Maybe there are nice restaurants in the airport hotels?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

How long is the walk to Encounter from the curb? I assume under ten minutes. Its in the theme building.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat
Encounter

Encounter Restaurant is great fun, and definitely a no-stress way to spend the afternoon at LAX. Totally better than spending $ inside the terminal...

http://www.encounterlax.com/encounter_dining.html#lunch
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
The AA terminal at LAX is not that great; however, as someone already said, it is a good place for celebrity spotting--was right behind Paula Abdul the last time I went through security there.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by hindukid
How long is the walk to Encounter from the curb? I assume under ten minutes. Its in the theme building.
Very close, probably more like 5 minutes.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by JohnDHackensacker3d
Encounter Restaurant is great fun, and definitely a no-stress way to spend the afternoon at LAX. Totally better than spending $ inside the terminal...

http://www.encounterlax.com/encounter_dining.html#lunch
+1. It's a cool thing to do, and I sometimes take out of town guests there when they're arriving at LAX...
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I'd do Encounter. It's an interesting experience, and far, far better than the terminal (LAX, and specifically T4, are some of the worst choices anywhere).

Allow 10 minutes to walk and take the elevator up.

I've not done security at T4 on weekends, but I have done morning and midafternoon through the Priority Aaccess line. The longest I've ever had to wait in the PA line was 15-20 minutes w/the line stretching halfway to TBIT. The regular lines can take longer, but you should be able to clear within 30 miinutes. The restaurant is about a 10 minute walk.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Hit the In'Out or the Chilli's then get back to the AC and spend $20 on the Vibrating chair, and if you have time get in shower first..... The chair is mandatory for those longer trips....

That is how I made it through MCI-dfw-lax-bos-sju-bos-lax-ord-mci with only long stops in LAX each direction.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:55 pm

There are no decent restaurants in LAX and certainly none worth going out of your way for. IMHO.

Instead, you might consider heading over to the TBIT arrival area, grab a cup of coffee/latte/capuccino (they have some sort of coffee or coffee-like cafe there) and do some serious girl watching. All the international arrivals that funnel through TBIT come out in the same area and there are always a lot of very pretty women either deplaning or waiting for someone. Especially the Asian FAs. For them what ain't into women, the guys I've seen there are generally unimpressive, but maybe that's just me.

Or, you could go to TBIT departures and follow around the people hawking their usually questionable charities. It's a lot of fun to interpose yourself into their solicitations (typically of foreign travellers) and warn the travellers that the "charities" often just benefit the person collecting the money. Once while waiting for a flight, some solicitor made the mistake of trying to coerce (and I do mean "coerce") my wife into making a "contribution." I got a floor show with my coffee and he was lucky to get away with his nads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.