Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does same flight number mean same physical aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD
Does same flight number mean same physical aircraft?

Hi all,

I have an upcoming trip POS-MIA-MCO in early March and on the return leg, the flights from MCO-MIA and MIA-POS have the same flight number (1819). 1819 arrives into MIA at at 6.35pm and departs at 7.50pm for POS.

How do I determine if this is the same aircraft being used for both segments? Is there someway on aa.com where I can find this information before hand?They are both 757's as far as AA shows and I also have the same seat numbers for both segments. (4E)

The reason I am asking, is that if indeed it is the same aircraft, will I be allowed to stay on board while parked at the gate awaiting connecting passengers or do I need to de-plane and wait at the gate to board again?

Thanks for your help!

Anthony.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Triniflyguy
Hi all,

I have an upcoming trip POS-MIA-MCO in early March and on the return leg, the flights from MCO-MIA and MIA-POS have the same flight number (1819). 1819 arrives into MIA at at 6.35pm and departs at 7.50pm for POS.

How do I determine if this is the same aircraft being used for both segments? Is there someway on aa.com where I can find this information before hand?They are both 757's as far as AA shows and I also have the same seat numbers for both segments. (4E)

The reason I am asking, is that if indeed it is the same aircraft, will I be allowed to stay on board while parked at the gate awaiting connecting passengers or do I need to de-plane and wait at the gate to board again?

Thanks for your help!

Anthony.

Just because two flights have the same flight number doesn't necessarily mean that you'll have the same aircraft. The way to find out is by going on AA.com and then entering the flight number (1819). Take a look at what gate MCO-MIA is supposed to arrive, and compare it to what gate the MIA-POS is expected to leave out of.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:29 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
if its the same plane, you should be able to stay on board....they would have checked any docs at mco....however, you only get ff mi for the mco-pos distance.....good luck...
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Since the flight is continuing to an international destination you will be required to disembark even if it is the same plane.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Hi all,

Thanks for your help!

Anthony.
MIA seems to have a lot of aircraft adjustments and gate changes lately. For example, I flew MCO-MIA-STL several years ago (same flight #) both 757s. Even though we arrived in MIA high-E gates on time, AA moved the gate for the onward STL flight to D.

The FAs will make certain to drill this one in, but in the event that you deplane during the layover, take ALL your belongings. Things happen and AA could suddenly change your gate and not leave you time to recollect your belongings and proceed to new gate and aircraft.

Safe travels.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
From my experience, direct flights seem to be more of a marketing ploy. In the past, it at least guaranteed you that you would not miss your connection. You save on some taxes, but it allows the airline to put extra destinations at the place the airline is departing from.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I believe airlines pay less to list two segments in the GDS as a single flight number than they would to list them as two separate flights.

There is no advantage to taking one of these flights, as the crew and aircraft may be different for each segment. One example: AA 1247 (AUS-DFW-ONT) today. AUS-DFW arrives at D18, DFW-ONT scheduled to depart from A15 (and ended up cancelled). And you always end up with fewer FF miles.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:52 pm

I hate direct flights. From my experience, if your plane is delayed, you still miss your connection because they send another one off with that flight number.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
OP is flying POS-MIA, not the other way around. You will be required to disembark and clear cutoms and immigration in MIA.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Hi all,

Thanks for your help!

Anthony.
What makes you think that there is any chance that this is the same aircraft? Do not try to put logic into this... There is only some greater chance that any other aircraft being the same. They will tell you when you land what to do with your connecting flight, either stay or go... But for planning just assume you are connecting. This is Marketting 101 for those that don't know the difference between direct and non-stop.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Xero
From my experience, direct flights seem to be more of a marketing ploy... [I]t allows the airline to put extra destinations at the place the airline is departing from.
Hah! Ain't that the truth. Ever tried to book UA's "direct" flight from LHR to HNL? What's worse is that some third party sites (i.e. Opodo) display it as a nonstop. I feel bad for unsuspecting kettles who make that mistake!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
MIA seems to have a lot of aircraft adjustments and gate changes lately. For example, I flew MCO-MIA-STL several years ago (same flight #) both 757s. Even though we arrived in MIA high-E gates on time, AA moved the gate for the onward STL flight to D.

The FAs will make certain to drill this one in, but in the event that you deplane during the layover, take ALL your belongings. Things happen and AA could suddenly change your gate and not leave you time to recollect your belongings and proceed to new gate and aircraft.

Safe travels.
I would agree that MIA seems to have more a/c change than other hubs. Quite often I hear FAs telling continuing paxs there will be a gate and a/c change.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Your flight will actually be AA1818. The outgoing flight is 1819. AA shows it to be a 757 with the same configuration for both legs so you'll most likely have the same airplane. FlightStats shows a 97% ontime record for the POS-MIA flight. You will deplane and claim your luggage pass through immigration and customs and recheck your bags. Even if you miss the flight don't worry because AA has constant flights to MCO and will simply put you on the next one.

This is an easy flight. Don't Worry, Be Happy. That's why you go there anyway, isn't it?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all your repies! I will look up to see the arriving and departing gates of both flights but I believe it will be best to ask the FA or GA on the MCO-MIA flight about it or listen out for an announcement on that flight regarding same.

What I was trying to determine though, is if I should take an earlier flight to MIA in the event I am delayed. I don't want to miss the MIA-POS flight since it's the only one out that evening. I figured if I book the same flight number (hopefully the same aircraft), in the event the first segment is delayed, I can't possibly miss the second flight since I'm already sitting in the intended aircraft to be flown to POS.

But, as FlyMeToTheLooneyBin said earlier,
I hate direct flights. From my experience, if your plane is delayed, you still miss your connection because they send another one off with that flight number.
they might use another aircraft and just use the same flight number to ensure the second segment flies on time. If this is correct, then it may be safer to take an earlier flight out of MCO.

Is this the safer way to go?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Your flight will actually be AA1818. The outgoing flight is 1819. AA shows it to be a 757 with the same configuration for both legs so you'll most likely have the same airplane. FlightStats shows a 97% ontime record for the POS-MIA flight. You will deplane and claim your luggage pass through immigration and customs and recheck your bags. Even if you miss the flight don't worry because AA has constant flights to MCO and will simply put you on the next one.

This is an easy flight. Don't Worry, Be Happy. That's why you go there anyway, isn't it?
Thanks! I'm just concerned about the return segments MCO-MIA-POS. Don't want to miss my flight back home becausethe first one gets delayed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.