Lounge recommendation for EXP in Shanghai?

Old Feb 2, 11, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Delta Plat
Lounge recommendation for EXP in Shanghai?

Hi, AA EXP here. I'm visiting Shanghai, and flying in and out via AA (from/to ORD). On the Shanghai side of things, which lounge(s) do you recommend?

If anybody has can't-miss things I should do and see in China during February, those ideas would be most welcome, especially if they are off the usual beaten tourist track. I have a lot of time, and my schedule is wide wide open.

Thank you!
Old Feb 2, 11, 5:31 pm

Programs: JL/JGC Diamond (OWE), AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, A3 *G, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Originally Posted by kennethfine View Post
Hi, AA EXP here. I'm visiting Shanghai, and flying in and out via AA (from/to ORD). On the Shanghai side of things, which lounge(s) do you recommend?

If anybody has can't-miss things I should do and see in China during February, those ideas would be most welcome, especially if they are off the usual beaten tourist track. I have a lot of time, and my schedule is wide wide open.

Thank you!
Lounges, there is only 1 i believe, a combined CX/KA Business Class Lounge in PVG T2
Old Feb 2, 11, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Is it any good in your (or others') experience?
Old Feb 2, 11, 5:46 pm

The lounge is not that great. There are no showers. It is on the second floor and is not enclosed, so you can see the main terminal below and hear the noise. You share the same very high roof as the main terminal area.

The carpet looked dingy when I was there earlier last year. The food is not bad.

My biggest complaint has not to do with the lounge, but with the AA counter. I had a connection and from Air China (purchased ticket on Expedia) that put me in PVG 6 hours before the AA flight. They don't have a manned counter until 3 hours before departure, so I had to wait in the ticketing area for 3 hours. It was really boring. Unlike in US airports, where they have lots of other AA flights, there was no way for me to get a boarding pass to get pass security.
Old Feb 2, 11, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
You only have 1 option. Its ok. They serve some snacks and sandwiches that are edible and you get free internet.
Old Feb 2, 11, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Middling. Noodle bar. Soup. Average selection of booze. Better than the Sakura Lounge in T-1, not as good as BA F at LHR or CX at HKG.
Old Feb 2, 11, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again. One last question (well, three last questions) if you please. Does AA run a Shanghai--> Hong Kong or a Shanghai --> Beijing service that you know of? Would it generate EQMs? As an EXP would I have access to any of the lounges at the other end?

Thanks asia flyers.
Old Feb 2, 11, 6:06 pm

Programs: JL/JGC Diamond (OWE), AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, A3 *G, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Thanks again. One last question (well, three last questions) if you please. Does AA run a Shanghai--> Hong Kong or a Shanghai --> Beijing service that you know of? Would it generate EQMs? As an EXP would I have access to any of the lounges at the other end?

Thanks asia flyers.
That would be cabotage for PVG-PEK.
To earn EQMs, fly CX/KA PVG-HKG, beware that only Y, B, H fares earn miles for Economy travel.
Old Feb 2, 11, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond

Thanks asia flyers.
If you fly Dragon Air you will get access to the lounges.
Old Feb 2, 11, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all, for the lounge advice, as well as the vocabulary lesson:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabotage
Old Feb 2, 11, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP: Don't waste your time lounging in SH; that lounge isn't very nice AND check-in is efficient so you can show up 75 mins before your flight and still make it comfortably.
Old Feb 3, 11, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Lounge Snobs

Compared to what AA used to offer before they changed terminals the CX Lounge is a BIG upgrade. have a couple of drinks and relax.
Old Feb 3, 11, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ORDflyer View Post
Compared to what AA used to offer before they changed terminals the CX Lounge is a BIG upgrade. have a couple of drinks and relax.
This is very true.
Old Feb 3, 11, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA

Thank you!

Since i work at the airport, that is last place i want to be at.
Really cant advise you on airport lounges. But you inquired on
where to go while in Shanghai? After sightseeing all day & tired of being
lost in translation? My cohorts working for AA at Pudong (PVG)
advised me to visit Oscars Pub in the LUWAN DISTRICT. Its located
on Fuxing Rd just east of Baoqing Rd. Its a British pub though more
visited by American Expats that live in Shanghai. Great place and food
and they have live bands on different evenings. Its a great place
to wind down and relax. Of the 6 days/nites i was in Shanghai. I
visited that place 3 times and the local expats can and will steer you
the right way while enjoying your vacation in Shanghai/China!

Enjoy and Ganbei!
Old Feb 3, 11, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin View Post
My biggest complaint has not to do with the lounge, but with the AA counter. I had a connection and from Air China (purchased ticket on Expedia) that put me in PVG 6 hours before the AA flight. They don't have a manned counter until 3 hours before departure, so I had to wait in the ticketing area for 3 hours. It was really boring. Unlike in US airports, where they have lots of other AA flights, there was no way for me to get a boarding pass to get pass security.
You should have stuck your bags in the left luggage place, which is dirt cheap, and gone for a ride on the maglev.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: