Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

In coach, HNL-ORD-DEL is 45000 Miles but HNL-DFW-DEL is 62500 miles. why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold

I am trying to book a ticket from HNL - DFW (Stopover for 1 month) - DEL
But, AA.COM is asking for 17500 Miles + 45000 Miles for the above.
If I book the exact same dates as HNL - ORD - DFW, then it asks me only for 45000 miles.
I was under the impression that I can have a stopover at the first point of entry and which is what I am doing, but apparently the system is not allowing me to use less miles.

Can I do this as HNL - DFW - LHR - DEL? Will that work for 45000 miles? I will have to call the Exp Plat Desk, but thought I will ask the Experts first.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spsawant
I am trying to book a ticket from HNL - DFW (Stopover for 1 month) - DEL
But, AA.COM is asking for 17500 Miles + 45000 Miles for the above.
If I book the exact same dates as HNL - ORD - DFW, then it asks me only for 45000 miles.
I was under the impression that I can have a stopover at the first point of entry and which is what I am doing, but apparently the system is not allowing me to use less miles.

Can I do this as HNL - DFW - LHR - DEL? Will that work for 45000 miles? I will have to call the Exp Plat Desk, but thought I will ask the Experts first.
Your international gateway is the last airport before leaving the country, or the first airport when you return to the country. HNL is in the U.S. Your understanding of the rule is correct, your understanding of geography is not.

ORD is your international gateway both ways.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not even sure I understand OP's routing or question.

In any case, the North America Gateway stopover on an international itinerary is the LAST place to leave North America, and the FIRST place to enter North America - it is North America in geographic sense, so Canada, Mexico and even Caribbeans are included. Though I have yet to read a post about making a stopover at Mexico or Caribbeans. Canada certain has been done by many such at YVR and YYZ.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:53 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
In coach, HNL-ORD/DFW-DEL would seem like about a million miles.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
In coach, HNL-ORD/DFW-DEL would seem like about a million miles.
On a rev fare those are hard earned BIS miles. If booking award, I'd pony up some more miles for biz+.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
I am not even sure I understand OP's routing or question.

In any case, the North America Gateway stopover on an international itinerary is the LAST place to leave North America, and the FIRST place to enter North America - it is North America in geographic sense, so Canada, Mexico and even Caribbeans are included. Though I have yet to read a post about making a stopover at Mexico or Caribbeans. Canada certain has been done by many such at YVR and YYZ.
Basically, I am trying to do a HNL - DFW and then DFW - DEL trip. I live in Dallas. Thus I will have a stopover of about 1 month in between the above 2 trips. For this the aa.com system is asking me 17500 (HNL-DFW) and 45000 (DFW-DEL).

Now, if I check HNL - ORD and then 1 month stop and then ORD - DEL, then I can get this ticket for a total of 45000 miles in Coach One Way. The HNL-ORD section does not need any miles and I believe that the first american gateway thing is working out here, but not for the DFW routing.

Thus, I wanted to understand, how much miles will it take, if I do HNL-DFW-LHR-DEL or BOM? Will it be 45000 or 62500?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshekg
On a rev fare those are hard earned BIS miles. If booking award, I'd pony up some more miles for biz+.
I plan to get Biz tickets. But, the same logic applies to Coach and Biz and hence wanted to throw out some exact numbers.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gemac
Your international gateway is the last airport before leaving the country, or the first airport when you return to the country. HNL is in the U.S. Your understanding of the rule is correct, your understanding of geography is not.

ORD is your international gateway both ways.
Thanks Gemac ...
Thus applying your logic, will the HNL - DFW - LHR - DEL/BOM routing work?
LHR - DEL/BOM will have to be on British Airways. In this itiernary, DFW becomes the International Gateway in both directions. Should I be able to get this routing for 45000 miles?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks Gemac ...
LHR - DEL/BOM will have to be on British Airways. In this itiernary, DFW becomes the International Gateway in both directions. Should I be able to get this routing for 45000 miles?
Yes, DFW is the international gateway on this itinerary, you should be able to stopover in DFW and still get it as one award rather than two awards. You will also have to pay substantial cash due to YQ and LHR taxes, but that may be worth it to you.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:13 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Gemac ...
Yes - but you will now be subject to the BA fuel surcharges - which can be $$$$$$$$.

HNL-DFW-MAD-HEL-DEL would add an extra stop but save you the extra BA fees.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNL
Yes - but you will now be subject to the BA fuel surcharges - which can be $$$$$$$$.

HNL: I like your idea. Is there any other routing I can take to go to Bombay? Is there any other Oneworld Carrier (apart from BA) that can take me to Bombay as that would be my preferred destination. I checked the Finnair website and the only available destination seems DEL.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Basically, I am trying to do a HNL - DFW and then DFW - DEL trip. I live in Dallas. Thus I will have a stopover of about 1 month in between the above 2 trips. For this the aa.com system is asking me 17500 (HNL-DFW) and 45000 (DFW-DEL).

Now, if I check HNL - ORD and then 1 month stop and then ORD - DEL, then I can get this ticket for a total of 45000 miles in Coach One Way. The HNL-ORD section does not need any miles and I believe that the first american gateway thing is working out here, but not for the DFW routing.

Thus, I wanted to understand, how much miles will it take, if I do HNL-DFW-LHR-DEL or BOM? Will it be 45000 or 62500?
Because on your outbound DFW is NOT your LAST place to leave North America - therefore the award becomes 2 parts - Wholly within North America + North America to India.

It has to be the LAST place you leave NA on the Outbound and the FIRST place you enter NA on the Inbound.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HNL: I like your idea. Is there any other routing I can take to go to Bombay? Is there any other Oneworld Carrier (apart from BA) that can take me to Bombay as that would be my preferred destination. I checked the Finnair website and the only available destination seems DEL.
It looks like you either have to pay BA YQ or to pay between DEL and Bombay - you decide which one is cheaper.

My hunch says the latter is much cheaper as BA YQ LHR to India could be in the range of $1000 in case you have not had any idea.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by HNL

You have to limit yourself to AAdvantage partners, not to oneworld carriers. Fly AA HNL-DFW-LHR, and 9W LHR-DEL, and you'll avoid the BA fuel surcharges.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:31 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You have to limit yourself to AAdvantage partners, not to oneworld carriers. Fly AA HNL-DFW-LHR, and 9W LHR-DEL, and you'll avoid the BA fuel surcharges.
Good point. And one I should have remembered as I have taken the 9W service from LHR-BOM many times in First

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.