Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA rate desk insists on charging award tix wrong (BA YQ surcharge leads to US taxes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA rate desk insists on charging award tix wrong (BA YQ surcharge leads to US taxes)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

So I want to book an award ticket BRU-LHR-ORD-SEA-LIH It had to be sent to the rate desk because of the British airways flight from BRU.

They hit me with a $35.60 fuel surcharge. Not happy about the amount for a 218 mile flight but I expected it.

Now the rate desk is adding in 16.30 US International arrival tax. Also 4.50 ORD PFC, 4.50 SEA PFC and $7.40 in segment taxes and 8.20 Hawaii arrival fee. None of these are charged when booking at aa.com.

Any advice. i can suck it up but for 2 pax its about $81.80. I would think that the rate desk should know that these taxes are not charged on an award ticket but I really don't know how to convey this message.

Last edited by hindukid; Jan 28, 2011 at 1:16 pm
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE: After some prodding I was able to speak directly with the AA rate desk. Turns out they had it right.

What they told me was that because I had a British Air segment from BRU-LHR they hit me with 35.50 fuel surcharge. But because of that the US gov't no longer considers this a free ticket. Therefore the gov't now insists that AA pay PFC, segment fees, hawaii tax and international arrival tax. So because the ticket is no longer free in the eyes of the US gov't, they are wanting an additional $40.90 from me.

Although I have noticed that BA website is still not charging any of these US taxes.

Last edited by hindukid; Jan 28, 2011 at 2:13 pm
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How much would just a separate ticket on a flight ( or train if planning to stay in London ) be? might it be cheaper than the additional taxes?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
How much would just a separate ticket on a flight ( or train if planning to stay in London ) be? might it be cheaper than the additional taxes?
Problem is that then the UK will hit you with $195 tax since you are now beginning journey in the UK.

Actually I am going to be in London. I was thinking that since the UK gov't was robbing me it was worth it to have a fun day riding the train to Brussels and exploring that city a little.

But now that I am getting robbed by BA instead, the cost savings is not that much.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by hindukid
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Problem is that then the UK will hit you with $195 tax since you are now beginning journey in the UK.

Actually I am going to be in London. I was thinking that since the UK gov't was robbing me it was worth it to have a fun day riding the train to Brussels and exploring that city a little.

But now that I am getting robbed by BA instead, the cost savings is not that much.
I presume that you tried -- and failed -- to get award seats on AA metal from BRU or CDG back to the U.S., right?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I presume that you tried -- and failed -- to get award seats on AA metal from BRU or CDG back to the U.S., right?
Correct. I can actually get seats from DUB the following day (july 7). But going to BRU meant taking the train which seemed fun DUB means flying which seems boring. Plus it will cost me $200 for 2 plane tix and 100 for DUB airport hotel so cost savings is mostly gone.

Also I like the evening flight from LHR because it allowed for some fun before flying home. 10am flights mean no sightseeing in Europe and you still get home to late to do any work anyways. Not really sure why AA likes to schedule everything at 10 or 11am. Just means a waste of a day on both continents IMO.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Yeah to hell with AA maximizing aircraft usage and crew times when we all know all tourists love to have full days for sightseeing and the like on two continents even
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Why not take a train to Paris and start your award travel from CDG? AA flies ORD, DFW, JFK and MIA out of there and it's only about 3 hrs on Thalys from Brussels and Paris

How about routing BRU-MAD-US or BRU-HEL-US?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Why not take a train to Paris and start your award travel from CDG? AA flies ORD, DFW, JFK and MIA out of there and it's only about 3 hrs on Thalys from Brussels and Paris

How about routing BRU-MAD-US or BRU-HEL-US?
July 6 or July 7. The only AA transatlantic flights I can find with availability to ORD in Y or C is from LHR, MAN or DUB. BA website shows no availability for MAD-ORD so I assume that is not an option. I need a stopover in ORD so it needs to be nonstop from Europe.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Correct. I can actually get seats from DUB the following day (july 7). But going to BRU meant taking the train which seemed fun DUB means flying which seems boring. Plus it will cost me $200 for 2 plane tix and 100 for DUB airport hotel so cost savings is mostly gone.

Also I like the evening flight from LHR because it allowed for some fun before flying home. 10am flights mean no sightseeing in Europe and you still get home to late to do any work anyways. Not really sure why AA likes to schedule everything at 10 or 11am. Just means a waste of a day on both continents IMO.
You do realise that you don't have to fly to Dublin, don't you? You can also indulge your preference for a train to Dublin, with an inclusive cruise - standard one way train/ferry tickets (walk-up fares, not advance purchase) rom London to Dublin are a very, very reasonable 33 quid, each (with no extra taxes, YQ, etc. etc.). Take the night ferry and you can also solve the hotel issue.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Last year wasn't AA flying LHR-BRU with a 777 or some such?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Wexflyer
You can also indulge your preference for a train to Dublin, with an inclusive cruise - standard one way train/ferry tickets (walk-up fares, not advance purchase) rom London to Dublin are a very, very reasonable 33 quid, each (with no extra taxes, YQ, etc. etc.).
I have one of those booked next month. For those not familiar with the service, a good place to read up on it is seat61.com
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Will look into the ferry to dublin. At this point I am more leaning to just paying the $195 British tax but we'll see.

Probably of more concern to this board is the implication this has on any award connecting at LHR.

Now essentially for a connection within Europe you are looking at an additional:

35.50 YQ charge
36.80 UK Airport fee
20.00 Phone fee
16.30 US Arrival tax

4.50 PFC per connection
3.70 segment tax per connection

So that's $108.60 plus $8.20 per connection within the US. That is a lot of money to be adding to an award ticket. If I were on a direct BRU-ORD flight my taxes would be $57. But flying via LHR brings them to $170.90. I would say that AA is at a huge disadvantage compared to competitors. You can't even just buy your own ticket to the gateway because that gateway is likely LHR and then the UK will hit you up for $200.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
You can't even just buy your own ticket to the gateway because that gateway is likely LHR and then the UK will hit you up for $200.
You do realise that it costs real money to keep HM is the style to which she is accustomed and entitled, don't you?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying back from CDG is not much cheaper.

I just ticketed CDG-MIA-LAX-LIH for 2 persons. It was at $168xx at reservation, but went up to $178xx at ticketing 5 days later. I did not bother to call to find out why the taxes added an additional $10 in 5 days, let alone the make-up of the taxes. I know CDG has a much higher departure tax than MAD as the same itinerary if flying back from MAD would cost only $80xx for 2 persons. But I need to fly back from Paris, so I accept the doubling of taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.