Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with "extra" SWU / Systemwide Upgrades / VIP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:08 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by JJOTraveler
So this thread has been a fun way to kill a few hours here in ORD AA club. I got to page 11 before I thought to myself - what do other EXP's do when Feb comes around and they have extra eVIP's just sitting there? Do you reach out to "Facebook" friends and give them away, use them domestically just to use them or worse, just let them go?

(I have 5 needing to be used by Feb. I guess the 777 on DFW-ORD is calling them since I don't fly internationally any more.)
That ability to read till page 11 is what makes you great. Admirable restraint with 37 posts in 7 years. I managed that for a while, but had to butt in and give my mostly useless advice. Me, I just look at the title, go to the last page and then work back like a puzzle from the interesting posts.
Give / gift them away if you can. I give away these things to people who can not afford it and really bargain with those of my friends who can.
As an EXP though, you should be pretty much auto upgraded on DFW-ORD with free stickers? I guess not from the above. My DL upgrades have been shockingly good so far in comparison, while I am just trying to earn my (for now free comp) CO Plat this year with real BIS travel on *A. As a lowly AA Plat, it is just good for free bags and better bonus miles.

Last edited by ffI; Jan 14, 2011 at 5:14 pm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
Apparently even a SWU doesn't assure F on DFW-ORD.

A few months back I was using an SWU on a flight DFW-ORD-BRU and I was not upgraded on the 777 flight to ORD.

I was shocked as:

1) I had booked 7 months before and applied for an F upgrade at that time

2) I applied the SWU 5 months ahead

3)the checkin desk said there was one empty seat in F and that I was number one on the list but that I should go to the gate and talk to the gate agent

4) The gate agent told me that she was sure I would get a seat in F and to standby and wait untill F started to board. Then a few minutes later she called someone to the front and handed them an F ticket. I asked her what had happened and she said the computer had moved someone ahead of me. I asked if they were using an SWU or had they booked earlier than me... to both questions she rolled her eyes and said it was very odd... that I should complain to Customer Service.

So lesson learned SWUs are not all powerful on the 777 flight DFW-ORD
My understanding was that someone willing to dish out the miles would jump ahead of you. I sometimes use a similar trick to circumvent the UG list on AA18 on busy Sunday nights from SFO back to NYC. If I get to the airport and see the list look mad, then I'll watch inventory via EF very closely, and will re-ticket using a miles UG when it becomes available. It has only worked twice, and I felt bad jumping the queue both times, but I'm providing many miles for something that anyone can do (even a non-elite), and may have otherwise received for free.

I was told at the FRA A/C once that it works the same way with SWU. I'm sure someone will confirm this or stuff me back in my place if it is not the case with SWU.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
In years when I have been EXP, I give them away to friends or family members or even strangers. I would never use an eVIP domestically - I'll chance the sticker upgrade; I much rather see them used by somebody else who doesn't get to fly First Class often, if ever. I've used eVIPs to upgrade friends on 3 hour domestic flights even. To some, its a once in a lifetime experience. I can handle the exit row seat on a trans-con in exchange for that.
^ ^ ^

This is exactly what I do. The single time I ever used a VIP domestically was on a J to F transcon upgrade. In general, I'd rather be in the back than waste a VIP. When I know I'm going to have a surplus I give them away.

I find it hilarious that on the DL board people brag about being able to use their SWUs on ATL-DFW.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by ihdihd
My understanding was that someone willing to dish out the miles would jump ahead of you.
There's a great deal of ambiguity and speculation surrounding this, but the FlyerGuide Wiki page on the PALL List implies that sticker and miles+copay upgrades are treated the same as they are given the same code. It also lists eVIPs as having a different code, so there seems some reason to think eVIPs may be treated differently. Of course they come out of different inventory buckets (stickers come out of X or R, while miles+copy and eVIPs come out of C or A), so it's possible while waitlisted for a sticker upgrade you could trump the list with either miles+copay or eVIP if A opens up on a 2-class domestic flight (which is probably the most likely scenario on sticker-eligible flights, as A is also an inventory bucket, unlike X, R or C) and you call/go to a GA and ask to use that instrument: if the inventory is there and you're willing to pay with miles or SWUs, you should be able to take it.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by rjw242
On that flight only the F cabin is sold as F, and J/Y are both sold as Y, correct? In that case it has the worst F:Y ratio in AA's whole fleet (certain regional jets notwithstanding). On the plus side, it's fairly easy to snag a "free" J seat if you're elite, no?
Yes the F cabin is sold as F, the J cabin I am told is where they put EXP (who failed to get upgraded), PLTs and GLDs.

Strangely enough I (as a EXP booking 7 months out travelling on an SWU) ended up in the back of the aircraft.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 3:28 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by zski1
As an aside, to the OP,

I haven't figured out how to crack this nut, but family members of personnel who have been very severely injured in Afghanistan or Iraq are flown from the US to Germany to stay with their loved ones until they can be medevac'ed back to the US*. Usually the DOD buys these tickets at the very last minute for the family members; they are almost certainly economy class tickets. I don't know how you could figure out how to gift your SWUs to people in this situation but if anyone else on the board knows, I'm sure that would be a most appreciated gift.

*usually the family is able to fly on the AF aircraft with their loved ones but sometimes they have to fly commercial home. To gift an eVIP to those family members returning to the US via commercial air, maybe a call to Fisher House foundation would be appropriate, and more specifically, the Fisher House at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center. I am not sure if that would work but it may be worth a try. The Fisher house is where family members stay while their relative is in a military hospital.

http://www.armyfisherhouses.org/army...stuhl-germany/
I tried to do this last year but could not. The tickets given to family members are from donated miles and so are not eligible for upgrading. Any family members flying on paid tickets have the tickets themselves, and so you would need to get in contact with them directly in order to try to apply the upgrade, and the Fisher Houses do not have that info to give you.

I gave my eVIPs to a guy last year who promised to donate some miles to Fisher House. Does not have to be the same airline--Fisher House consolidates miles from all the airlines.

Just a suggestion.

Steve32
Old Jan 15, 2011, 3:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by brp
Of all the suggestions in this thread, this seems the most deserving of the bunch. These folks are providing an actual, tangible service that represents hard work.

While I have no belief in god (or churches) myself, I have a good friend who participates in just such activities with his church. The good that they do goes beyond religious belief and rewarding these people, who are actually accomplishing something, seems a very worthwhile idea.

Thanks for the suggestion and for your work!

Cheers.
Actually, and maybe if our AA FT rep is listening in, would it not be an idea for AA to allow EXPs to donate unused/unneeded SWUs for people traveling to help in times of crisis (assuming availability of course and that the traveler has some kind of verification).
Old Jan 15, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by brp
Of all the suggestions in this thread, this seems the most deserving of the bunch. These folks are providing an actual, tangible service that represents hard work.

While I have no belief in god (or churches) myself, I have a good friend who participates in just such activities with his church. The good that they do goes beyond religious belief and rewarding these people, who are actually accomplishing something, seems a very worthwhile idea.

Thanks for the suggestion and for your work!

Cheers.
Thanks for the comments. Should anyone get interested in this, they'll be flying back on 5 March (Sat). PM me if interested.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by clacko
i havent had any for a while, but i uged a friend w/1 a few years ago....the procedure was i call and apply the swu to his record....no problem...the swu owner must call, the donee can't do it....its just like buying or getting an award ticket for someone else....good luck...
Not to nitpick but FYI - it is possible to email instructions to AA customer service and allow the receiver to call and upgrade their pnr. I was in a situation where no phone access was available and internet was so I used this route. I did give the person my relevant AA information and instructions (EXP line with my AA#).
Old Jan 16, 2011, 4:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by steve32
I tried to do this last year but could not. The tickets given to family members are from donated miles and so are not eligible for upgrading. Any family members flying on paid tickets have the tickets themselves, and so you would need to get in contact with them directly in order to try to apply the upgrade, and the Fisher Houses do not have that info to give you.

I gave my eVIPs to a guy last year who promised to donate some miles to Fisher House. Does not have to be the same airline--Fisher House consolidates miles from all the airlines.

Just a suggestion.

Steve32
Not exactly the case. The type of ticket people get to fly to Germany depends on 1) who they are in relation to the person that is injured and 2) how significantly injured the person is. To put it bluntly, if there is a possibility that the service member will die, the DOD buys the ticket for an unspecified number of immediate family members at what I presume is the government rate.

Family members flying on government tickets would be difficult to upgrade using an eVIP on the outbound trip, however, as their tickets are purchased with VERY short notice, and the Fisher House probably doesn't know about them with enough advance notice to actually give them the eVIP. But when the family is returning to the states, they might be able to use an eVIP if they are unable to get on the USAF plane that is taking their loved one back to a CONUS hospital - especially if it's to San Antonio -- as I don't think AA has any contract routes from Germany to DC, but they do have FRA-SAT.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MM
Also likely to have a few spare eVIPs expiring end-feb please feel free to PM me if you have a worthy cause.

Have tried to offload them on friends and family in the past but without luck as unless they have status the chances of upgrades clearing thse days is getting slimmer and slimmer.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CO PLT, UA Exec Prem, Marriott Silver, SPG PLT, HHonors Diamond, AmEx PLT, Avis First
Have 6 SWU upgrades that will expire

what should/can I do with them? (no, I will not GIVE them to you).

Options I have been told are:
-Use them domestically
-Donate to Military personnel
-Barter with FT users

Any other ideas?

Last edited by dannyrube; Jan 24, 2011 at 2:52 pm
Old Jan 24, 2011, 2:44 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dannyrube
Any other ideas?
Search?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rades-vip.html

(I looked for "SWU" but another of the other terms in the title would work. I have no idea what a "OWS" is, though).

Cheers.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, A3 Silver, TK Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Executive, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, M Plat
do you still have any available

I have a specific flight I am taking and my cousin would love to upgrade him for the transatlantic trip, do you still have any to give away?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by dannyrube
what should/can I do with them? (no, I will not GIVE them to you).
Options I have been told are:
-Use them domestically
-Donate to Military personnel
-Barter with FT users

Any other ideas?
Originally Posted by kstewart10
I have a specific flight I am taking and my cousin would love to upgrade him for the transatlantic trip, do you still have any to give away?
You might want to take a different approach...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.