Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE -.Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by ScottishBloke
I'm a fairly recent lurker, currently about to lose my Platinum status... I have imminent trips to the UK, Scotland (EDI or GLA) for family matters.

Since I'll lose my status in February, is my best bet to sign up for a platinum challenge in March, and look for a 1.0 ratio flight from LAX in late March / Early April? The outbound and return (even if LAX to LHR) should get me the required 10,000 EQM, right?

Any suggestions on what routing and fare classes would be most efficient if I will have two / perhaps three trips to the UK this year? (Spacing likely to be March/April, July, December)

Thank you for the wealth of information here... I only wish I'd found this at this time last year - I might have been able to keep my Platinum status!

ScottishBloke
A couple of observations:

The bad news:

The Challenges are based on the accumulation of points, not miles, so to successfully complete a PLT challenge would require 10,000EQP (or 20K miles). [You mention 1.0 fares but then later mention miles, just want to be sure ]

Also, you wouldn't be eligible to do a challenge to maintain status, you have to wait

The good news:

AA has a "soft landing" policy for elites, so you won't actually lose status on AA, you'll drop down to GLD

You should also be eligible for a status "buy back" It is pricey- but you may find that it is worth it.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by bdemaria
A couple of observations:

The bad news:

The Challenges are based on the accumulation of points, not miles, so to successfully complete a PLT challenge would require 10,000EQP (or 20K miles). [You mention 1.0 fares but then later mention miles, just want to be sure ]
Um, 1.0 fares yield the same points and miles, so 10K miles should be fine.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by EBCDIC
Thank you for the replies. I usually fly round trip from AUS to LAX and back to AUS.
In my experience this is a really tough route to get upgraded on. Even with my EXP status and booking many months ahead of time this is hard.

Last year I had booked 5 months ahead... at the gate in LA an hour from departure the gate agent told me F was full with paid F ticket holders, that I was first on the upgrade list and that I would get a seat only if someone didn't checkin.

I flew in coach.

This was my only upgrade failure last year on a flight that was not booked last minute.

So if AUS LAX is your only route I would not expect to many upgrades as a Gold elite. Even when F is not sold this is an EXP and PLT rich route.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:42 pm

So as a Gold, I would be able to upgrade on any fare with these 500 mile upgrades?

Also is it true, that non-elite members may use these to upgrade, but only on B or Y fares?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by JDiver
Anyway, as you mention the aircraft are flying with available seats up front, as Gold you'd earn four 500 mile "upgrades" per 10,000 miles flown, and you can purchase others online for $30 each (more if it requires person-to-person interface). More here.

Even as Gold, with the conditions you state, it seems you'd have a reasonable chance at upgrading, and in fact would have 24 hours advance benefit over those showing up at the airport, and the "price" of three 500 mile upgrades for your 1,241 mile flight (essentially, $90 for a greater value).
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Any published fares, yes, in line after Executive Platinum and Platinum members. And non-elites may upgrade only B and Y fares. Upgrades (for pay) may also be offered at the kiosk when one checks in, as well (but for money).

So as a Gold, I would be able to upgrade on any fare with these 500 mile upgrades?

Also is it true, that non-elite members may use these to upgrade, but only on B or Y fares?

Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
So if AUS LAX is your only route I would not expect to many upgrades as a Gold elite. Even when F is not sold this is an EXP and PLT rich route.
Ironically, I got an Op-up as a Gold on AUS-LAX the last time I flew it. AUS-LAX can be filled with lots of AA EXP as well as Qantas premium passengers. Other tough routes are DFW-LAX/LGA/SFO/ORD as well as transcons. The Hawaii Long Hauls out of DFW/ORD can also be tough since many upgrade with miles...

As a fellow Gold, appreciate your Priority AAccess privileges, apply for upgrades just for the heck of it, if you get an upgrade, enjoy it, but don't be disappointed that you don't get one. I actually would've been upgraded on my last flight if I had waited around but I was tired and just wanted to board early and sit down as I had a bulkhead seat already so the upgrade to First wasn't that significant to me...
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by bniu
Ironically, I got an Op-up as a Gold on AUS-LAX the last time I flew it. .
I dont think ironic is the right term.... more like a miracle....

Congratulations on your good fortune.... I have never had an OP-UP.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
I was considering doing the gold challenge to get the elite gold status, but my main reason for wanting to do it is for potential upgrades. I saw on the website that complimentary upgrades are only on full-fare tickets which are way too expensive for me. I usually purchase the economy super saver (N) or economy saver (L) tickets.

I only fly about once a month, and maybe twice a month two times per year. The flights I take often times have empty seats in first class, and they're always calling people to the counter and upgrading them.

What do you guys think? Thanks for your knowledge. ^
Random thoughts follow :-)

If the plane goes out with empty F seats presumably you could have upgraded.

Check out AUS-LAX on AA (or ITA) and look at your routing options. I tried some random dates and there are non-stop, one stop and two stop options, all for about the same price. If you are flexible and amenable to the extra hops you will gain in segments and miles by not taking the non-stop and possibly have better luck on upgrades.

12-14 non-stops AUS-LAX is GLD flying. Doing this trip 14 times a year with just one connection will get you to PLT. Do some 2 hops for cushion/fun and you've space for NS when you need it.

Sign up for LASF2 and go AUS-DFW-LAX-DFW-AUS for an extra 2470 miles through Feb 2011.

If you pay for a challenge do the math 1st and make sure you have a plan to make it!
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: Aadvantage, spg
Need general advice on setting up JFK-AKL

Hi-
I've been saving up miles for something like the last 10 years and finally have around 375,000 so that I can *theoretically* take my wife and 6-year-old to New Zealand, going JFK-AKL. Realizing that a 6-year-old will likely go bananas from 22 hours of flying, our daydream has been to go business class so that she'd have a bit more room and a skybed--hence the need for 375,000 miles.

Talking to AA today, they essentially shut that down immediately, saying in so many words that there aren't 3 business class seats available from now until pretty much forever (We're talking even 11 months from now in November, there's nothing). We were hoping for some time in April, but apparently that was foolish to hope for. I looked around FT at the various threads that mention New Zealand hoping to find some advice on alternate ways to set it up and I only got more confused (in part due to jargon), because while I've been saving up miles forever, I haven't used 'em so I'm still basically a newbie at all this.

So-
-Any advice on how to find alternate intineraries to AKL?
-Has anyone flown it in either Business or Economy? If so, what was it like?
-Could a 6-year-old (or an adult for that matter) handle that long a trip in Economy?

Any insights would really be appreciated, because if I don't come up with something, we'll likely blow these hard-earned miles on domestic flights, which seems like a waste after all these years of saving them up. Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by dolt
So-
-Could a 6-year-old (or an adult for that matter) handle that long a trip in Economy?
Hi,

I've flown with little ones many, many times. The key for a trip like this is to fly overnight. Then, your six year old will sleep like a baby...whether you are in economy or business class. I think most of the flights to New Zealand are night time flights anyway...which definitely works to your advantage.

Not sure about alternative itineraries. American flies to Tokyo...which gets you closer. But, you'd still have a very long flight to New Zealand even from there.

Good luck. We explored flying to Australia or New Zealand two years ago using miles. And, we had no luck whatsoever.

David

Last edited by dstan; Jan 9, 2011 at 12:27 pm Reason: repaired broken quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dolt
Hi-
I've been saving up miles for something like the last 10 years and finally have around 375,000 so that I can *theoretically* take my wife and 6-year-old to New Zealand, going JFK-AKL. Realizing that a 6-year-old will likely go bananas from 22 hours of flying, our daydream has been to go business class so that she'd have a bit more room and a skybed--hence the need for 375,000 miles.

Talking to AA today, they essentially shut that down immediately, saying in so many words that there aren't 3 business class seats available from now until pretty much forever (We're talking even 11 months from now in November, there's nothing). We were hoping for some time in April, but apparently that was foolish to hope for. I looked around FT at the various threads that mention New Zealand hoping to find some advice on alternate ways to set it up and I only got more confused (in part due to jargon), because while I've been saving up miles forever, I haven't used 'em so I'm still basically a newbie at all this.

So-

Any insights would really be appreciated, because if I don't come up with something, we'll likely blow these hard-earned miles on domestic flights, which seems like a waste after all these years of saving them up. Thanks!
Hi, dolt. Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Business class / First Class awards to Australia/New Zealand are notoriously hard to get. The flights are so long that everybody wants them. Qantas is the only Oneworld carrier you can get them on. Qantas gives their own frequent flyers a 30-day head start on those booking with other miles, and their own people have a tendency to snap up the premium seats before we get a crack at them.

It is possible to route through Asia, but will cost extra miles and lengthen the trip by quite a bit, so I don't think that is a good option for you.

I have two suggestions. One is to keep looking yourself for award flights on dates that work for you. You can't see them on AA's site, but many other Oneworld airlines will show them on their sites.

The other option is to break the journey in the middle, time permitting. Fly NYC-HNL, stopover for a day, NYC-SYD-AUK. Since HNL becomes the North American gateway in this itinerary, a stopover is permitted. You can do the same on the return. If you have to go in coach, this is a lot easier way to do it, and gives you a chance to see a bit of Hawaii, go to the beach, whatever you like.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
In the SE Travel Policy AA says that "original inventory" is required. For purposes of this policy what is "original inventory"?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by pssteve
In the SE Travel Policy AA says that "original inventory" is required. For purposes of this policy what is "original inventory"?
The fare class that you were originally booked in. Although IME this is not enforced.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you get an agent who really sticks by this, you may want to experience "technical difficulties beyond your control" and find yourself forced to terminate the call and call again. Normally, with these kinds of disruptions, they will be more flexible (but not in every case, so they leave themselves some "wiggle room").

Originally Posted by pssteve
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:11 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by btwayland
i flew through orlando a few times in 2010, and seem to remember in the AA terminal that the security line on the far far left was for elites, crew, staff, etc.

i may be confusing it with one of the TSA "expert traveler" lanes instead, but i always used it because it was normally the shortest, and full of business types and no baby carriages.

it's possible that the lane no longer exists, and it's also possible that it was for platinum or exec. platinum and not gold members (chuckle), but could be worth a shot.
We were just through MCO today and there does not appear to be any AA elite line. We came in from the right, so it's possible that it was there and we missed it, but I saw no signage.

Even with what looked like a zoo, we made it from the ID-check-TSA-person onto the little train to gates 1-29 in about 15 minutes. There was a non-TSA guy taking folks with kids out of the two main lines and into a shorter central scanner line.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.