Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Overweight Passenger ("POS") Policy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by andyr
OK, but I wonder how AA reconciles charging someone a premium with the statement that no seat assignment is guaranteed.

<snip>
Easy, if you're charged for the express seat and aren't accommodated they refund the seat charge.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by pdog02
Easy, if you're charged for the express seat and aren't accommodated they refund the seat charge.
If an FA/GA forces someone to move because of a POS, they should expect more.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by mvoight
If an FA/GA forces someone to move because of a POS, they should expect more.
agreed. I would also assume that status plays some (unpublished) role as well. If the POS is an EXP and the non-POS has no status, I'm guessing the FA/GA would try really hard to move the non-POS, contrary to the official policy.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Customers Requiring Two Seats

From FAs manual, Customer Policies, Boarding - 3.5

Special assistance may be required when a customer cannot fit within the confines of one seat with armrest lowered in the ticketed cabin, i.e.:
NOTE: When a customer is seated next to a customer who appears to require two seats, do not assume they are dissatisfied with their seat assignment. Reseating accommodations should never be solicited.
  • Unable to fit into a single set in their ticketed cabin and/or
  • Unable to properly buckle their seatbelt using a single seatbelt extension (available upon request from a FA) and/or
  • Unable to lower both armrests without encroaching upon the adjacent seating space or another customer.

Customers are encouraged to address their seating needs when booking their original reservation. However, issues may not arise until they are at the airport or in the cabin. For the comfort and safety of all customers:

When a customer complains about adjacent customer who requires two seats...
  • If at gate and there are no empty seats, contact agent or Customer Resolutions Officer (CRO) for assistance.
    Customers who are unable to reach their seat in the main cabin by means of their own mobility or the use of an aisle chair may be accomodated in first or business class if a seat is available and upon payment of the additional fare. Please advise the agent for assitance
  • If there are empty seats, contact agent, the customer may be moved either to an available seat in same class of service.
    The agent will ensure the additional seating is available without downgrading or unseating another customer
    Moving the customer to a seat in a higher class of service, must be handled by the agent to collect the fare difference. (do not establish future expectations by upgrading customer who request two seats, continue to advise the agent for assistance.
  • If in flight and there are no empty seats, advise agent of the situation at destination, as needed;
    Customer requiring two seats may be connecting and will need to purchase an additional seat. (advise customer to see agent regarding connecting flight
    Customer affected may request any service recovery means based on the situation. (please refer to agent or Customer Relations by completing form)
Please remember that during boarding, FAs do not have the ability to look at a seatmap to know where an open seat may be available. The only time we know is when the door is closed and boarding has completely stopped. Only the agents have the ability to reseat a customer as they can look at the computer to move a person.

When on smaller planes, often times there is only minimum crew on board. FAs cannot get off the plane to rectify any situations like this, this is why we will often require the pax to go back out to the agent to be reseated...as they can look where there are empty seats (if there are)

Regarding Exit Seats

Per FAR121.585, all persons in an exit seat must be able to operate the emergency exit and take the additional actions needed to ensure safe use of the exit in an emergency situation.

FAA Regulated Exit Seat Selection Criteria
Age (as long as the person is at least 15 years old) and/or size alone will NOT disqualify a customer from sitting in an exit seat providing they meet all of the selection criteria. Customers who require a seatbelt extension are not restricted from exit seats.

Hope this helps a little to give you a little inside of what the FAs responsibilities are regarding those who may be a POS. It's a difficult situation on all fronts, sorry the OP had a rough trip!

Last edited by sluggoaafa; Jan 8, 2011 at 3:43 pm Reason: forgot a code
Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thank you for sharing that, sluggoaafa!

Looks like part of what they are saying is "try to leave bad enough alone"...

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 8, 2011 at 5:00 pm
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Can someone clarify what the last 2 lines of the policy mean?

"Customer affected may request any service recovery means based on the situation. (please refer to agent or Customer Relations by completing form)"

Does this mean that the guy who meekly puts up with a POS encroaching into their seat for 4 hours can seek "service recovery" whatever that is.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by JDiver
Looks like part of what they are saying is "try to leave bad enough alone"...
in defense of the FA policy:

NOTE: When a customer is seated next to a customer who appears to require two seats, do not assume they are dissatisfied with their seat assignment. Reseating accommodations should never be solicited.
the non-POS may be a friend/spouse of the POS, and may be willing to share their space. Proactively asking the non-POS if they are uncomfortable would only disrupt this situation.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
the non-POS may be a friend/spouse of the POS, and may be willing to share their space. Proactively asking the non-POS if they are uncomfortable would only disrupt this situation.
That is a very interesting point.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:21 pm

Agreed; good point.

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
in defense of the FA policy: the non-POS may be a friend/spouse of the POS, and may be willing to share their space. Proactively asking the non-POS if they are uncomfortable would only disrupt this situation.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:23 pm

Interesting conversation and a couple of thoughts:

My DH is a big, tall guy and when we travel we make sure to be seated next to one another so he can comfortably share some of my seat and I always sit in the middle.

My BIL is morbidly obese and requires 2 seats which he knows and pays for in advance (or flies in F/J).

I was on a flight this week from MIA->LGA and the woman in the window seat was very large. She couldn't even get her stuff under the seat because her legs were too big. Needless to say, the armrest couldn't go all the way down and I was VERY uncomfortable. I kept scooching (for lack of a better word) towards the aisle seat and was sort of sitting a little sideways.

I didn't say anything because the flight was sold out and I really didn't want to cause a scene. I know I'll never see the person again, but still. I am just so non-confrontational.

Curious to hear what the OP's response from AA is.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Marriot Plt, Avis 1st
There is also an FAA rule about blocking egress for other passengers. For example, an infant car seat can not be in an aisle or center seat if it blocks the inner passengers from exiting.

If the POS is in a aisle or center seat and can't easily move from their seat and you can not get past them to exit in an emergency, then that is a safety violation of the above rule. In this case the POS should be moved to the window seat
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:07 pm

Yes, I have no doubt - and if I felt I were going to be blocked by a POS in middle or aisle seat in the (albeit very small) case of an emergency, I would be assertive in the reseating. (Unfortunately, I can not post the reg because rgl.faa.gov is down!)

)
Originally Posted by radioinstl
There is also an FAA rule about blocking egress for other passengers. For example, an infant car seat can not be in an aisle or center seat if it blocks the inner passengers from exiting.

If the POS is in a aisle or center seat and can't easily move from their seat and you can not get past them to exit in an emergency, then that is a safety violation of the above rule. In this case the POS should be moved to the window seat
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
I think AA should post non-binding "suggested guidelines" of at what measurements pax might be "safer and more comfortable" purchasing two seats. They can post all dimensions of one coach seat, as well as how much added room one will get in all areas if purchasing two seats. In fact, I'd be all for them rewarding proactive POS by offering a discount on the second (non-refundable if in discount bucket) seat (after all, they're only consuming one of everything else).

IMO, part of the problem isn't POS being in denial of their size, it's POS who haven't flown in maybe 5 years and 100lbs who just don't know what to expect. Doing this would also mean that all the info is available, and nobody can use the "well I didn't know how little room there would be" on the day of travel, since all the information is there. They'd also be assured of having two seats reserved together, with a movable armrest between.

Would there be legal implications of doing this?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by JumboD
I think AA should post non-binding "suggested guidelines" of at what measurements pax might be "safer and more comfortable" purchasing two seats. They can post all dimensions of one coach seat, as well as how much added room one will get in all areas if purchasing two seats. In fact, I'd be all for them rewarding proactive POS by offering a discount on the second (non-refundable if in discount bucket) seat (after all, they're only consuming one of everything else).?
Southwest does offer the ability for a POS to purchase two seats, and will refund the cost of that 2nd seat as long as the flight is not oversold. I think this is a fair way of running the show.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
Southwest does offer the ability for a POS to purchase two seats, and will refund the cost of that 2nd seat as long as the flight is not oversold. I think this is a fair way of running the show.
Which seems to be a much better policy than presuming the person being squashed by a person in denial about their size does not mind it. If I were a GA or FA I'd take the path of least resistance too, which is why policy has to be to confront the obvious issue at the door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.