Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Overweight Passenger ("POS") Policy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Originally Posted by vasantn
About time for another POS thread ...

In before the lock!
So you don't think it's a legitimate complaint if someone is occupying part of your seat?
While it is a legitimate complaint, and as such probably also a legitimate topic for FT discussion, the historical fact is that threads on this topic tend to degenerate into personal comments with no constructive content. As a result, they tend to get locked. Perhaps this one will escape that fate, at least it's avoided lock-inducing posts this far, but the odds are against it.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by marcdd2
Also, on the way back I was seated next to a large man 350-400lbs. I was in the aisle he was in the middle. He was unable to put either arm rest down and literally had to lift his leg fat so that I could squeeze into my seat and then he let it go covering my left leg. I expected the flight attendant to ask him to switch with his young son who had plenty of space in the window seat, but they didn’t come up to me. Does anyone know what AA’s policy on overweight passengers?
If he really couldn't put either arm rest down, it seems like the obvious answer would be to ask him to scoot over towards his young son (who had plenty of space in the window seat) so you could put your arm rest down. What did he say when you asked him to do this?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
What did he say when you asked him to do this?
OP didn't ask.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
OP didn't ask.
I think that was the point. OP didn't ask the guy to move over, and was "waiting" for the flight attendants to change things on their own initiative rather than bringing the matter to their attention. If you're determined to suffer in silence, don't be surprised if no one comes to your aid.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Isn't this something to be handled by the GA? Along with oversize carry-ons.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
So you don't think it's a legitimate complaint if someone is occupying part of your seat?
Pretty sure in this case POS meant Passenger of Size.

I.e. "Time for another Passenger of Size Thread" and not "Time for another piece of... threat."
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1 Million Miles, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Platinum, AA Citi Exec, Hilton Aspire, Bilt
Although I am sure all US based airlines have some defined policy on this, good luck getting them to actively enforce it as it is a sensitive issue in the US because there are simply millions of obese people and many of them fly on airplanes. Airlines do not view it is a solid customer service practice to single out obese people upon entering the plane and make a scene about how they cannot fit into their seat, will disturb other customers, etc. My guess is that any obese passenger who was called out in that fashion would certainly not give business to the airline in the future.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA GLD
Thanks Triniflyguy. Thats what I was looking for.
Your welcome ^
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Not to drag this out, but I'm usually not the type to sit in silence. My fear was the AA after realizing the man was too big would consider it a safety hazard. I have no idea what the law says about “discriminating” against morbidly obese people, but I didn’t want to provoke the FA to start kicking people off a full plane. I had already been stuck in BOS for 3 days and didn’t want the FA’s fear of legal retaliation strand me for even longer. My hunch at the time which turned out to be correct is that he should have been required to purchase two seats and the GA and FA dropped the ball and did not follow protocol. Instead they left it up to me to be either very uncomfortable or to complain and get this family removed from the aircraft in front of everyone. The FA’s were also telling us we had 5 min to pull back or we were going to miss our runway slot and have to wait an hour. We ended up waiting the hour, but if I had complained the entire aircraft would have blamed me for the hour delay. I was stuck between a drink cart and a fat place.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I have no idea what the law says about “discriminating” against morbidly obese people, but I didn’t want to provoke the FA to start kicking people off a full plane.
"obesity" is not a protected class; illegal discrimination is not a factor here.

My hunch at the time which turned out to be correct is that he should have been required to purchase two seats and the GA and FA dropped the ball and did not follow protocol. Instead they left it up to me to be either very uncomfortable or to complain and get this family removed from the aircraft in front of everyone. The FA’s were also telling us we had 5 min to pull back or we were going to miss our runway slot and have to wait an hour. We ended up waiting the hour, but if I had complained the entire aircraft would have blamed me for the hour delay.
Few people in the service industry go out of their way to make more work for themselves. If the situation was uncomfortable to you, you should have said something rather than waiting for the GA or FA to do something. From their perspective, if no seatmates are complaining, there must be no problem, right ? Why delay the flight when there is no problem...
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well said!

Some posts have been deleted for dilatory content of being off topic (experiences on other airlines, experiences with loud people, derogatory or dismissive comments or words using to describe others, and all qualify for deletion as well as for TOS violation issues.

We understand this can be a problem and it is useful to discuss what has happened, the airline's responsibility, etc. but if this thread is to remain open, it should remain on topic, remain helpful and respectful of others, and take a higher road than previous threads that have required closure.

Thanks for your contributions and cooperation. If anyone has any doubts what the TOS that they agreed to adhere to when they were granted the privilege of posting on FlyerTalk, they can read the TOS / Rules here.

In other words, due to the challenges presented by previous threads on this topic, this thread will be strictly moderated.

JDiver, Moderator

Originally Posted by Efrem
While it is a legitimate complaint, and as such probably also a legitimate topic for FT discussion, the historical fact is that threads on this topic tend to degenerate into personal comments with no constructive content. As a result, they tend to get locked. Perhaps this one will escape that fate, at least it's avoided lock-inducing posts this far, but the odds are against it.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 4, 2011 at 9:45 am Reason: edit
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
If the situation was uncomfortable to you, you should have said something rather than waiting for the GA or FA to do something. From their perspective, if no seatmates are complaining, there must be no problem, right ? Why delay the flight when there is no problem...
After seeing the OP's other post about his miserable standby experience, I can understand why he didn't say anything. I seem to remember a case in an earlier POS thread where a passenger complained that he couldn't put his armrest down due to a very large seatmate, and the FA's response was along the lines of "either you take your seat or leave the plane." If it's a choice between flying uncomfortably or potentially being stuck in BOS for a 4th night, I'd probably choose to keep quiet as well.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
The last time I flew Delta I returned from PFN in the front of a regional airplane (that boarded from the rear) therefore in the last boarding group since I had 0 status with them. The guy in the aisle seat next to me took up half of my seat (my guess is he was in excess of 400lbs). All the seat were occupied. My choices were complain and catch the next flight out over 2 hours later or just squeeze in. I chose the later, but have not flown Delta since and will not ever again.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by rjw242
After seeing the OP's other post about his miserable standby experience, I can understand why he didn't say anything. I seem to remember a case in an earlier POS thread where a passenger complained that he couldn't put his armrest down due to a very large seatmate, and the FA's response was along the lines of "either you take your seat or leave the plane." If it's a choice between flying uncomfortably or potentially being stuck in BOS for a 4th night, I'd probably choose to keep quiet as well.
At the time of the flight, the OP didn't know AA's policy regarding POS procedures. AA's POS policy seems pretty clear; if the armrests can't be lowered, the POS will be reseated, or placed on a later flight where they can purchase 2 seats. The pax next to the POS should not be the one inconvenienced.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I had a similar situation one time on a CRJ out of HOU. The guy needed a seatbelt extension and there was NO WAY the armrest was going down. The seatbelt extension didn't even fit and he asked for a second.

Thankfully, there was a seat open and the FA proactively moved me. I thought she was the nicest person...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.