Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Speculation: What offers, promos will be offered for 2011? When? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL, QF, CO, Married (does that count as a program?)

Anyone care to speculate what kind of comparable promos we may see from AA in the bottom half of the year?

Happy new year! Your post and subsequent response within the STL/RDU/BNA/PIT DBEQM thread has been pulled out and added to this new thread. /JY1024, Moderator

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 3, 2011 at 1:44 pm Reason: Added mod note
Old Jan 1, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by JAAbercrombie
Anyone care to speculate what kind of comparable promos we may see from AA in the bottom half of the year?
Whatever the competition does. AA only did defensive promos this year, and I don't see a whole world of ambition out of DFW right now
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: AA LT Gold SPG Gold ($30K AMEX)

Original thread title: When does AA usually announce double/triple mile promotions for the new year?

I will be going to India and would love to book my flight to optimize on miles, but I do not know yet which cities and routes will yield what bonuses? Is there a date or range in which AA usually announces upcoming promotions for the year.

Thanks.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 3, 2011 at 11:02 am Reason: edit in original post title prior to repurposing thread
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerMC
I will be going to India and would love to book my flight to optimize on miles, but I do not know yet which cities and routes will yield what bonuses? Is there a date or range in which AA usually announces upcoming promotions for the year.

Thanks.
No, there isn't any set pattern.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
I think this general question has already been dealt with on another thread...
I do not think that you should have an expectation that AA will have any broad DBL type promotions in 2011 except in response to any from other airlines. 2010 experience reflects this.

I think I read that an Indian airline (Kingfisher?) is becoming One World Partner in 2011. There may be a DBL promotion associated with this event (see for example the current promotion for the Russian airline S7) so that is something to check into.

In 2011 we may expect short term promotions on some of the new international routes like the promotions last year for the ORD-PEK route. You might consider some out-of-the-box thinking to take advantage of future specific bonuses on new routes. For example a new AA route to HEL is starting in Q2 I think. Look at One World connections from HEL to DEL to take advantage of a promotion for the HEL route... A wacky idea for sure but I think these kind of approaches may be needed to get promotional miles in 2011.

Good luck
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
In 2011 we may expect short term promotions on some of the new international routes like the promotions last year for the ORD-PEK route. You might consider some out-of-the-box thinking to take advantage of future specific bonuses on new routes. For example a new AA route to HEL is starting in Q2 I think.
So what has been the pattern (if any) of when such new-route bonuses have been announced in the past?

In my case, I actually am considering flying to (not just through) BUD after the new AA JFK-BUD route starts, so don't need to think up any "strange" routing at all, just wondering about timing (both of purchase and of actual flight)?

Also, what is the history of booking class restrictions on new route promos?
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vasantn
No, there isn't any set pattern.
This last year, it was two days after I had booked a bunch of very expensive flights. If that's the case in 2011, it won't be for awhile, because I've already bought mine for the first quarter.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2MM +, CO, US, UA,SPG, Hertz Presidents Club
only when they have to
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Which could be in 2011 with labor contracts on the table still. If any of the unions strike and ground the fleet, AA will have to woo passengers back. These contracts seem to be dragging on and on and on.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by sdsearch
So what has been the pattern (if any) of when such new-route bonuses have been announced in the past?

In my case, I actually am considering flying to (not just through) BUD after the new AA JFK-BUD route starts, so don't need to think up any "strange" routing at all, just wondering about timing (both of purchase and of actual flight)?

Also, what is the history of booking class restrictions on new route promos?
I believe that these are typically announced before the new route starts. Typically bonus miles are scaled to class of service, like 5K for economy, 10K for business and 15K for First.... so typically not as many miles as a DBL bonus on long haul trip.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold SPG Gold ($30K AMEX)
Everybody, thank you very much for your help. I will look if JFK-BUD helps (I doubt it). Without any bonus miles I think I will fly MIA-ORD-DEL-HYD.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 6:37 pm

Thanks.
When their bookings and loads need a stimulus or they are starting a new route or have competitive pressure on a route.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
So Few AAdvantage Airline Offers (Jan 3 2011)

Seems that there is a real drought of AA airline bonus offers currently. One of them is a counter to Virgin America's new routes to LAX and SFO from DFW and 2 of them are Partner offers. Even the Haneda one is questionable with the push back on the launch date.

AAdvantage Airline Offers

Airline Offers
Reactivate Expired AAdvantage Miles
Chicago To Manhattan, KS - Earn Double Miles
Qantas 90th Anniversary Double Miles Offer
DFW To Los Angeles Or San Francisco - Double Elite Qualifying Miles
New York To Tokyo Haneda - Up To 15,000 Bonus Miles
Double AAdvantage(R) Miles for travel on S7 Airlines
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Doesn't that seem consistent for the new year? They want people to fly normally early on and then slowly ramp up promotions as the year goes on to help people retain status that otherwise wouldn't.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Look for possible deals down the road depending on what happens with upcoming labor negotiations that resume tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.