Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refurbished MD80?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors
Originally Posted by nologic
I think the new F seats are slightly better in that the bottom slides forward as the back slides backwards. There's also an drink holder/small table. Otherwise not much difference, IMO.
I like the new seats. Wish they had more padding on the seat, but otherwise an improvement. IMO. I have seen lots of folks in F complaining about them though.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Why do they just not get rid of them and get some fuel efficient aircraft?
Aren't they doing exactly that already? You'll note in this post they've taken delivery of 68 737-800s and retired 39 MD80s since March, 2009. Maybe not as quickly as we'd all like to see, but the process is underway and new aircraft are being delivered monthly.

A newer December post
reports 76 737-800s now delivered since March, 2009.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by tom911
Maybe not as quickly as we'd all like to see, but the process is underway and new aircraft are being delivered monthly.
Well, maybe not as quickly as some would like to see, but I'd be more than happy to see all MD-80s flying the mid-con routes I fly
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
They are, dearest PUCCI. They are buying Boeing 737-823s as quickly as Boeing can produce them and their purse can pay for them (obviously, two different things...). In the meantime, we are stuck with a number of MD80s, much as SPANTAX pax were stuck with Convair 990s. They both seat 2 x 3 across, iirc.

BTW, if you are ever visiting the island of Hawai'i's west coast, they do not call them donkeys - they call them "Kona nightingales" - much more civilized, don't you think?

But they are donkeys years old and are very old-Tech,

Tell me a low cost carrier in the western world which uses them. Spanair? Is that low cost?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GLD
But they are donkeys years old and are very old-Tech,

Tell me a low cost carrier in the western world which uses them. Spanair? Is that low cost?
Well some of us enjoy the flying in the mad dog. When flying Y, I like the 18" seat width, not having to worry about a middle seat on the port side, and power a large part of the Y cabin. Who cares about no IFE, just plug in my Ipad and watch whatever I want.

Plus the front of the cabin is nice and quiet. It’s a testament to the engineers at the old Douglass aircraft that the airframe on that plane is still going strong after all these years.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Slight Off Topic Question

Just curious, but I've recently noticed that the most quiet seats on the MD80 seem to be around row 15. I found it even quieter than F. I've done just a few segments on the mad dog recently so I haven't had much chance to experience this phenomenon. Has anyone with more experience on this plane noticed this?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold
Allegiant Air uses quite a few MD-80s. They have found the higher operating cost are outweighed by the cost of a new aircraft over time.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I'm not a huge fan of the MD-80's but recently talked to a pilot while on a MR layover in DFW about this very subject. We seem to have nothing but the no seat padding/no IFE/loud engine planes flying in and out of ORD these days. He said they can strip/refurb a plane down to the ribs for about $3 million as opposed to paying $70 mil for a new 737. Even with the bad gas efficiency, it's still worth it to redo the planes. Seems I'm stuck with the Edsels for many more years. <sigh>
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, PC Platinum, SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Well, maybe not as quickly as some would like to see, but I'd be more than happy to see all MD-80s flying the mid-con routes I fly
You and me both! I rarely sit in Y these days, but when I did it was a very comfortable ride in 20B or 21B. IFE who cares I have a laptop. Love the reliable DC power where I can plug in my laptop without a bulky power brick. Super quiet ride in F.

As for those saying just go out and buy a 737, I suppose you went out and spent $30k on a hybrid car to save 10mpg?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:01 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by JDiver
They are, dearest PUCCI. They are buying Boeing 737-823s as quickly as Boeing can produce them and their purse can pay for them (obviously, two different things...). In the meantime, we are stuck with a number of MD80s, much as SPANTAX pax were stuck with Convair 990s. They both seat 2 x 3 across, iirc.

BTW, if you are ever visiting the island of Hawai'i's west coast, they do not call them donkeys - they call them "Kona nightingales" - much more civilized, don't you think?
Darling Diva (and others) I am too European. We are used to flying aircraft that are not so old that they have to have their whiskers removed every so often!!

Frankly I loved the MD80 back in the 80s when I could fly DFW-SBA via Bakersfield!! But the poor old thing is years old now (now tha Convair 990s that Swissair had (alone in Europe) were 6 abreast as I recall.

To the sweet young man who said about how he did not care if there was IFE - I dare say he is right. If the drivel that they tried to show down from DFW was anything to go by - did not matter - nothing worked (757). Can I ask for compensation do you suppose??!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.