Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather: Northeast travel delays / waivers (Dec 26 - 30, 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2010, 7:48 pm

many LAX-JFK flights cancelled includin 118, 34 40, 4, 32 22 and 180!!
Old Dec 25, 2010, 8:35 pm

Flying out of BDL Monday 12/27 AM.

Flight canceled. Email saying unable to rebook. Called, very nice service, but no other flights day early on 12/26 or later 12/27, 12/28.

Going to try to jump on a Virgin America flight for 12/26.

Canceled flight is difference between status for the next year. I assume no mileage on canceled flight. I was looking forward to status...

Still might not get out so I'm focused on that, which I'd come on here over x-mass, could have rebooked earlier!

- August
Old Dec 25, 2010, 8:52 pm

So, since I changed my flight a bit earlier I went online to checkin only to find that I had no seat (which I thought I had). I called web services only to be informed that the 12:50pm to ORD had been cancelled, no notifications to me about it.... They offered (now) to put me on the 10am AE flight or the 8:25am out of LGA. At this point I figured it would be best to get out of town while I can. Should be interesting...
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by RTW4
many LAX-JFK flights cancelled includin 118, 34 40, 4, 32 22 and 180!!
All 5 afternoon JFK-LAX (117, 133, 181, 21 and 185) were canceled. "Severe Weather" is 3-9, but I guess they didn't want to take a chance and canceled #117 @ 1:45p as well.

Wait time to speak with agent was grossly underestimated. They said 30 minutes but it took three times as long.

Agent said Sunday is all booked or canceled, with next coach available is Monday #21 @ 7:10p and next first or business is Wednesday... not sure what time because I took the Monday.

Last edited by himarty; Dec 25, 2010 at 11:03 pm
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Beware flights from LHR too- 107 already cancelled for 12/26.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 3:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.975 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

My BCN-JFK was cancelled, rerouted BCN-LHR-JFK. Not too optimistic about LHR-JFK
Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:42 am

Are there more cancellations than before?

During past years snow days, I don't recall there being so many "proactive" cancellations to/from JFK by AA.

I wonder how many cancellations are actually due to dire weather forecasts, as opposed to the airlines now being extra cautious due to new DOT flight delay rules (that give an incentive to proactively cancel flights).

In other words, absent new DOT rules, would AA still cancel as many to/from JFK flights as they have?

While JFK is not as good as SYR (which has had an amazing amount of snow this year (even for SYR)) at handling snow--they do a reasonable job compared to LHR (which just seems incompetent) in processing the white stuff.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Boston too...

Just about anything due to land at BOS after 6 pm tonight has been canceled, but not the departing flights ... at least not yet.

So much for my 12/27 ex BOS MR
Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Looks like what is happening is that AA is trying to get planes OUT of the Northeast and then not send them back during the storm to get trapped. Hence why the JFK-LAX flights are running today, but no LAX-JFK, etc. Makes sense to me.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
I was suppose to route via Mia from las, in the plane now, however Ef showed all lga flights cancelled as well. Doomed! Exp wait time 32 mins..... I think I will be in the air when they start pick up phones......
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
Exp wait time 32 mins..... I think I will be in the air when they start pick up phones......
Lines are backed up - I just got disconnected three times... And then a 23 minute wait (quoted wait of 18 minutes)... It's gonna be a long day!
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:54 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
I just had an excellent EXP desk experience (TUS)... first call was disconnected (quoted time was 8 min, disconnected after 4) but second went through in 4 minutes (quoted 9). Agent moved a DCA-DFW to be RIC-DFW instead, and converted Z to F to give me the flights I wanted. No fee, no increase in miles. She was terrific.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The original premise that JFK rarely closes is quite off the mark. Flights are always cancelled in a blizzard, and these days, with the issue of big fines for sitting on the runways, cancelling is even more likely than before.

If a blizzard is likely, try being one of the first to be rerouted. If you are leaving JFK to start a trip, start earlier or book something 36 hours after the storm is scheduled to end. Enjoy being snowbound by having no-place to go.

If you are in Manhattan on vacation or business, be sure your return is 36 hours after the blizzard, Stay in midtown and have a ball - walk down the middle of 5th ave without traffic, get into the toughest theatre show or restuarant in town. Streets empty, bars packed.

The longer you wait, the unhappier you will be. If you go to the airport, you will be miserable. The observation that flights in get cancelled earlier than flights out is an excellent one.

This applies to blizzards, not snow flurries.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globehopper
In other words, absent new DOT rules, would AA still cancel as many to/from JFK flights as they have?
Probably not, just like absent FAA maintenance rules they would not cancel as many flights due to mechanical.

Both are VERY good things in my book!

However, in this case it appears that AA is mostly cancelling flights into the affected areas, not as many out of the area, so the "the sky has fallen because the DOT no longer allows me to imprison passengers" whine doesn't apply here.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: AAEXP, and every other one on the planet
Proactive cancelled yesterday

Originally Posted by Globehopper
During past years snow days, I don't recall there being so many "proactive" cancellations to/from JFK by AA.

I wonder how many cancellations are actually due to dire weather forecasts, as opposed to the airlines now being extra cautious due to new DOT flight delay rules (that give an incentive to proactively cancel flights).

While JFK is not as good as SYR (which has had an amazing amount of snow this year (even for SYR)) at handling snow--they do a reasonable job compared to LHR (which just seems incompetent) in processing the white stuff.
They kind of ticked me off... was scheduled on the 12:20 departure today (12/26) when I finally got someone on the phone, (EXP line was rerouted to the standard reservation desk) I was told that all flights were cancelled for 12/26 and the earliest they could reshedule me for was Monday @4:20PM, after I got home, online found that morning flights were leaving and there was a 757 still scheduled, and is landing right about now for a scheduled 12:35PM departure to DFW!!! Of course there were no seats, but what ticks me off is the information provided by the agent, must have been grumpy to be stuck working on Christmas day... I don't have a good feeling about getting out on Monday, really wanted to get out BEFORE the blizzard hit...

dittymau

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.