Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
Glad someone else sees that WN doesn't use 3rd party sites to sell their tickets, look how great they're doing!!!
I've long held that WN doesn't allow their fares on comparison sites because it would bring reality to the masses: WN often isn't cheaper, and is sometimes (gasp) more expensive, even when you add those "evil" bag fees (which are priced into WN's fares) that other airlines charge.

But people BELIEVE WN is always cheaper and, thus, are willing to go to southwest.com, sometimes as their only stop. WN has masterfully branded themselves as cheap, and bolstered this by amazing fare sales (particularly when entering a new market).

AA does not have the price clout to cause people to come to AA.com. I'm sure AA management will be very careful about how far this goes.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
My problem with all this is AA.com is not as useful for booking tickets outside the US. Try CMB, for instance. AA files fares for CMB but you cannot book them via AA.com.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
With online alternatives that simply compare ticket costs without being travel agents/middlemen, the point of companies such as Expedia is diminished.
1. Go on ITA to find a cheap mixed-carrier itin (AA/SQ for example)
2. Go to AA.com and try to book said itin

3. ...Enough said

AA's website is just not powerful enough to replace Expedia, Orbitz, et al. If Expedia were smart, it would focus on educating customers on the protections (IROP) a single ticket provides on a multi-carrier itin. In addition, you also have the LHR tax-rape scheme when you buy separate tickets for a connecting journey through LHR.

Now, a customer could call and book a multi-carrier ticket through AA reservations, but of course we know that costs a fee. Lots of pro-consumer benefits would go away if AA gets it's way...
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
My problem with all this is AA.com is not as useful for booking tickets outside the US. Try CMB, for instance. AA files fares for CMB but you cannot book them via AA.com.

CMB is a special exception. Other sites like Orbitz don't allow ex-CMB tickets either. In general, you can use aa.com to book tickets that originate in non-AA cities outside of the US as long as you choose "All Carriers."

With that said, aa.com is very limited in booking mixed airline itineraries. I'm not happy about all these changes.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Official Reaction from AA via Facebook (no press release yet):

We are disappointed that Expedia.com made American Airlines flights and fares more difficult to find. This discriminatory action is unwarranted. You can visit AA.com, KAYAK and Priceline for low AA fares.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by demkr
Official Reaction from AA via Facebook (no press release yet):

We are disappointed that Expedia.com made American Airlines flights and fares more difficult to find. This discriminatory action is unwarranted. You can visit AA.com, KAYAK and Priceline for low AA fares.
Almost makes you wonder if there will soon be a 500-mile bonus for booking online at AA.com
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
sounds like there is a war brewing.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by justforfun
sounds like there is a war brewing.
In my estimation, that AA did not fully foresee when making the Orbitz decision.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
Why do you keep making moral judgments about something that is just business?
Isn't business made up of people? Or is it something where no humans are involved? WE (as a society) are pretty much ALL business.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platnum, Marriott Lifetime Platnum
Don't Forget that AA and Marriott terminated their relationship this year also. AA seems to be taking a stand on cost etc. Time will tell if these moves were correct or started a customer exodus.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Almost makes you wonder if there will soon be a 500-mile bonus for booking online at AA.com
I certainly do prefer an AA carrot rather than an AA stick.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1P
Funny that Expedia is siding with a stiff competitor on this issue... although I guess it's just amassing ammo for their upcoming negotiations with AA.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:23 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Blumie
Why do you keep making moral judgments about something that is just business?
Isn't business made up of people? Or is it something where no humans are involved? WE (as a society) are pretty much ALL business.
I'm still trying to find the so called moral misconduct in AA's decision to reduce costs and bring more value to the shareholders. How am I, as a consumer, morally offended because I have to buy my AA tickets on any other number of available channels? They still have to compete with numerous other competitors, so it's not like they can price gouge me.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by denCSA
1. Go on ITA to find a cheap mixed-carrier itin (AA/SQ for example)
2. Go to AA.com and try to book said itin

3. ...Enough said
That argument would be pursuasive if a large fraction of AA's Expedia-sourced booking were such multi-carrier (and non oneworld, non-partner) bookings. AA has the data.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
As a frequent user of both Orbitz and expedia, I'm disappointed to see this happen. The biggest hit to me personally is going to be the inability to book flight/hotel packages at significantly reduced prices (esp after a coupon is applied) and use AA as the carrier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.