Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

Old Dec 28, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Tango
All of the airlines are guilty of the nickel and dime business model. Look at what they charge for seat reservations, luggage and other things that used to be free.
This is true, but the other carriers played "Follow the leader" With AA on the baggage charges.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
I'm curious how much money Expedia makes by selling vacation packages that include AA travel (such as Caribbean vacations, ex-MIA cruises, South America packages). If it's significant, seems like AA's next move might be to cut off their ability to do that, but perhaps that would be too much to AA's detriment as well.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Tango
All of the airlines are guilty of the nickel and dime business model. Look at what they charge for seat reservations, luggage and other things that used to be free.
None of that was free. It was simply included in their pricing model. The "race to the bottom" for prices necessitated taking out those things from the ticket price and including them instead as fees. Tickets are cheaper, flights may or may not be once you get "all in."

Baggage, as an example, is a service that costs airlines money to operate, and now that cost is exposed and paid for by those that use it. If you don't check bags, there's no additional cost. If you do (and you're not elite/otherwise exempt), you pay for what you use. It's a la carte pricing for air travel.

It was interesting hearing from US Air at SMDII that if it weren't for baggage, they wouldn't have to invest so significantly in counter service - they could dramatically downsize that expense and move most of what needed to be done to kiosks to print passes to get through security and handle everything else at the gate. Baggage, in and of itself, is a huge operation: counters, attendants, conveyors, handlers, transport equipment, tracking systems, etc. All of that has to be paid for, and now it's being paid for by those that use it rather than everyone subsidizing the cost.

Strangely, it's also what's caused the fight for the overheads... people packing more into carryons, carrying on more bags, etc. It's why I predict we'll likely see someone move to "pay for overhead" fees soon - if it won't fit under your seat, you pay to put it overhead. I'd guess $10 per "slot", with a slot being able to hold a properly sized roll-aboard. Just my guess.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by demkr
This is true, but the other carriers played "Follow the leader" With AA on the baggage charges.
Some other carriers: the biggest, most profitable, differentiated and with a high customer satisfaction (WN) didn't, as well as another differentiated carrier with high customer satisfaction (B6). The undifferentiated middling carriers (+ VX to be fair) are the only ones who followed AA, an undifferentiated middling carriers itself.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by demkr
just like they do on pricing

follow the leader
Old Dec 28, 2010, 3:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by mreed911
I predict we'll likely see someone move to "pay for overhead" fees soon - if it won't fit under your seat, you pay to put it overhead. I'd guess $10 per "slot", with a slot being able to hold a properly sized roll-aboard. Just my guess.
You mean something like Spirit Airlines to start charging for any CARRY-ONS in overhead bin? I admit that Spirit isn't the most customer-friendly airline, but the precedent has been started and it's possible others will follow...
Old Dec 28, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Originally Posted by al613
Do you remember how AA flights diappeared from Kayak?
Didn't know that--couldn't have been long ago that I saw that great AA fare SAN-OGG on Kayak. I was looking tonite and AA has disappeared (and so has the fare).

This actually sounds quite serious for AA. Think a blizzard of emails to AA could get them to rethink all this?
Old Dec 28, 2010, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
AA is still on Kayak.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
aa is still on kayak.
strange-it didn't appear earlier this evening for numerous dates. Now it's back
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by hillrider
Some other carriers: the biggest, most profitable, differentiated and with a high customer satisfaction (WN) didn't, as well as another differentiated carrier with high customer satisfaction (B6). The undifferentiated middling carriers (+ VX to be fair) are the only ones who followed AA, an undifferentiated middling carriers itself.
B6 charges for the second bag. They've been doing this since June 2008, so it's not like they didn't follow other carriers in some aspect of bag fees.

Last edited by mvoight; Dec 28, 2010 at 6:39 pm
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
just like they do on pricing

follow the leader
Like airlines are alone on this??? How many retailers say they will meet (or beat) a competitor's price? or will accept competitors' ads.. Have you never seen gas stations across the street from each other compete on price? So, in theory, WN could lower your fare by charging for baggage, since after all, it's not really "free".
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by mvoight
So, in theory, WN could lower your fare by charging for baggage, since after all, it's not really "free".
FWIW, I heard that WN actually looked at charging for bags, but they decided it would impact their quick-turnaround times and cost more in the long run.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by mvoight
Like airlines are alone on this??? How many retailers say they will meet (or beat) a competitor's price? or will accept competitors' ads.. Have you never seen gas stations across the street from each other compete on price? So, in theory, WN could lower your fare by charging for baggage, since after all, it's not really "free".
I honestly don't think my fares have come down one red penny

while none of us have the data on this.. I don't think one bit of the cost savings by charging a la carte has saved me a penny.. imho, its all gone to the bottom line
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911
None of that was free. It was simply included in their pricing model. The "race to the bottom" for prices necessitated taking out those things from the ticket price and including them instead as fees. Tickets are cheaper, flights may or may not be once you get "all in."

Baggage, as an example, is a service that costs airlines money to operate, and now that cost is exposed and paid for by those that use it. If you don't check bags, there's no additional cost. If you do (and you're not elite/otherwise exempt), you pay for what you use. It's a la carte pricing for air travel.

It was interesting hearing from US Air at SMDII that if it weren't for baggage, they wouldn't have to invest so significantly in counter service - they could dramatically downsize that expense and move most of what needed to be done to kiosks to print passes to get through security and handle everything else at the gate. Baggage, in and of itself, is a huge operation: counters, attendants, conveyors, handlers, transport equipment, tracking systems, etc. All of that has to be paid for, and now it's being paid for by those that use it rather than everyone subsidizing the cost.

Strangely, it's also what's caused the fight for the overheads... people packing more into carryons, carrying on more bags, etc. It's why I predict we'll likely see someone move to "pay for overhead" fees soon - if it won't fit under your seat, you pay to put it overhead. I'd guess $10 per "slot", with a slot being able to hold a properly sized roll-aboard. Just my guess.
With all due respect, I have to disagree. If airlines really went to a model of charging you for the services you receive, then they would charge for all carry on, have pay toilets and seat reservation fee's. Airlines started baggage fees because enough of them fell into line behind American. The bottom line is they have been able to shift a large chunk of ticket revenue into a fee revenue stream and escape the federal excise tax--and that is not chump change.

If airlines really wanted to shake things up and base things on cost, tickets would be charged on a cost per mile formula. Rather than be logical about this, they will most likely start charging a fuel surcharge for domestic flights sometime next year. That is another fee and has nothing to do paying for the cost of a service.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AA's spin on this

Interview here with the guy at AA that's behind this distribution spat.

The interviewer catches on quickly on how AA is BSing about how this is all pro-consumer and giving consumer choice when he finds out that none of the consumer "benefits" that they claim are behind their push have been implemented in AA.com, which is 100% controlled by AA.

I have nothing against AA lowering GDS costs, but please, don't lie to customers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.