FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA policy or FAA policy that no electronics can be plugged in during take off? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1161286-aa-policy-faa-policy-no-electronics-can-plugged-during-take-off.html)

jordyn Dec 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 15475153)
Let's be clear that this is not true. The power required to maintain the static image is likely very low, but power is expended. Definitely not enough to affect anything on the aircraft, to be sure, but it is non-zero :.

This isn't correct. Power is only used to refresh the screen. No power is drawn to maintain the e-ink in place.

From E Ink themselves:

Electronic ink is ideally suited for EPDs as it is a reflective technology which requires no front or backlight, is viewable under a wide range of lighting conditions, including direct sunlight, and requires no power to maintain an image.
(emphasis added)

skylady Dec 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 15471806)
I often here the FA tell people, "If it has an on/off switch, it must be turned off". So, on a future trip, I plan to take a Roku... and I will invite the FA to find the on/off switch

That's really not necessary.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Dec 18, 2010 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by sica4 (Post 15475099)
It is against policy to turn on a wireless device in flight if the wireless function cannot be turned off, unless of course, they are selling wifi :rolleyes: in which case by all means power that thing up. I don't know how much of it is FAA vs. AA but passengers see how much of a farce it is and its just frustrating.

sounds like TSA. Air travel is just sprinkled with farces and frustrating hoops that have to be jumped through.

Originally Posted by jordyn (Post 15476545)
This isn't correct. Power is only used to refresh the screen. No power is drawn to maintain the e-ink in place.

From E Ink themselves:

(emphasis added)

Electronic paper on Wikipedia
Per the description of electrophoretic displays, you need a constant electric field to maintain the TiO2 particles in the proper position. There are going to be losses and some power must be dissipated to keep the field constant. I assume this is going to be very low, but still non-zero. Could this be what brp is referring to?

The e-ink page probably rounds down the power to zero.

This is all academic because our nervous systems probably gives off more radiation than a static e-ink display, and we can't power that one off.

mvoight Dec 18, 2010 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by skylady (Post 15477996)
That's really not necessary.

Yes, I am aware some people don't understand my sense of humor.
I am not really going to bring a Roku on the plane. After all you use them instead of using a PC to get to the internet. With a laptop with me, I have no need for Roku on a plane. What I can't figure out is why a lot of FA"s don't seem to notice bright PC lights flashing on some PCs while taxiing, when the plane is rather dark.. Uh... if the light is flashing, something is on...

skylady Dec 18, 2010 7:14 pm

I agree that it can be difficult to notice a flashing light in the OH bin, or under the seat in front of the customer;)

JDiver Dec 18, 2010 7:55 pm

Maybe these electronic impulses are disruptive to the aircraft's ampullae of Lorenzini? Or is it only the 787 that wil have these? ;)

justforfun Dec 18, 2010 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 15478467)
Maybe these electronic impulses are disruptive to the aircraft's ampullae of Lorenzini? Or is it only the 787 that wil have these? ;)

I thought it was to their flux capacitor.

deac83 Dec 18, 2010 9:44 pm

Since all the pre-flight checks were posted.

On my AE flight last week, the FA actually told us that we could not have water bottles or newpapers in the seat back pockets. Not only did she say it, she went down the row and checked everyone and made them take out water bottles and newspapers.

I love the random rules that FA's come up with.

WillTravel4Food Dec 18, 2010 10:26 pm

I'm still trying to find where the FARs state pax must comply with FA instruction to shut off all electronic devices. Many sections, including those pertaining to smoking and seat belts, have a specific clause stating a requirement to comply with crewmember instruction. But those clauses apply to only the requirements of that specific section. I have yet to find a general clause to comply with crewmembers and there is not a section in 121.306 that requires compliance with crewmebers when instructed to comply with 121.306. So this makes me wonder if the FARs provide crewmembers with the "teeth" to enforce this section. So this could put the compliance burden on the airline and not the offending pax. So the best the pilot could do would be to refuse to perform the flight or remove the pax. (See Josh Duhamel)

Anyone out there with more FAR experience who could provide more insight?

brp Dec 19, 2010 8:51 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin (Post 15478077)

This is all academic because our nervous systems probably gives off more radiation than a static e-ink display, and we can't power that one off.

Yet I've seen many that do just this on a regular basis. I've even been known to do it from time to time.

And, yes, that minuscule power dissipation was what I was referring to. Academic, to be sure.

Cheers.

FXEpilot77 Dec 19, 2010 9:25 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food (Post 15479081)
I'm still trying to find where the FARs state pax must comply with FA instruction to shut off all electronic devices. Many sections, including those pertaining to smoking and seat belts, have a specific clause stating a requirement to comply with crewmember instruction. But those clauses apply to only the requirements of that specific section. I have yet to find a general clause to comply with crewmembers and there is not a section in 121.306 that requires compliance with crewmebers when instructed to comply with 121.306. So this makes me wonder if the FARs provide crewmembers with the "teeth" to enforce this section.

You make an interesting point that I never bothered to research until now. Note the italicized and bold section of the safety briefing (emphasis mine):

§ 121.571 Briefing passengers before takeoff.

(i) Smoking. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions smoking is prohibited including, but not limited to, any applicable requirements of part 252 of this title). This briefing shall include a statement that the Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with the lighted passenger information signs, posted placards, areas designated for safety purposes as no smoking areas, and crewmember instructions with regard to these items. The briefing shall also include a statement that Federal law prohibits tampering with, disabling, or destroying any smoke detector in an airplane lavatory; smoking in lavatories; and, when applicable, smoking in passenger compartments.
Every airline more or less reads the italicized portion verbatim, minus the smoking areas since it no longer applies, but they always leave off the part in bold. I'm sure that's intentional.

In any case, the FAA doesn't have the ability to hold someone criminally responsible for a violation of the FARs in the first place. Violations of the FARs go before an administrative law judge, which is not the same as a real trial.

I suspect they can try to throw this at you, which would be criminal, but I think it would a stretch for an electronic device:

Interference With Flight Crew Members or Flight Attendants—49 U.S.C. 46504

One who assaults, threatens, or intimidates a flight crew member or attendant while aboard an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States, and thereby interferes with the performance of that crew member's duties or lessens the ability of that crew member to perform his/her duties is punishable under this subsection. See United States v. Meeker, 527 F.2d 12 (9th Cir. 1975). A violation of 49 U.S.C. § 46504 is a general intent crime; it does not require any specific intent to intimidate or to interfere with the flight crew member or attendant. See United States v. Grossman, 131 F.3d 1449, 1451-52 (11th Cir. 1997); United States v. Compton, 5 F.3d 358, 360 (9th Cir. 1993); United States v. Hicks, 980 F.2d 963 (5th Cir. 1992), cert. denied, 507 U.S. 941, 507 U.S. 998 (1993); United States v. Meeker, supra, 527 F.2d at 14. While attempted aircraft piracy and interference with flight crew can both be charged in the same indictment, if convicted on both charges, the defendant should be sentenced only under the attempted aircraft piracy conviction because, absent highly unusual circumstances, the interference with flight crew charge is the lesser included offense. See United States v. Compton, supra, 5 F.3d at 360; see also United States v. Calloway, 116 F.3d 1129 (6th Cir.), cert. denied, 118 S.Ct. 324 (1997); United States v. Figueroa, 666 F.2d 1375, 1380 (11th Cir. 1982).

LarryJ Dec 19, 2010 3:25 pm

The regulations require that all passenger carry-on items be stowed for taxi, takeoff, and landing. If you have a charger out then it, and probably the item that is being charged, is not stowed.

Originally Posted by deac83 (Post 15478915)
On my AE flight last week, the FA actually told us that we could not have water bottles or newpapers in the seat back pockets.

That is true. Some months ago the FAA issued guidance clarifying the carry-on rules which emphasized that passenger carry-on items are not considered stowed when placed in the seat-back pocket.

jordyn Dec 19, 2010 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin (Post 15478077)
Electronic paper on Wikipedia
Per the description of electrophoretic displays, you need a constant electric field to maintain the TiO2 particles in the proper position. There are going to be losses and some power must be dissipated to keep the field constant. I assume this is going to be very low, but still non-zero. Could this be what brp is referring to?

From the Wikipedia article you cite (in the first paragraph):

It is capable of holding text and images indefinitely without drawing electricity, while allowing the image to be changed later.
I don't read anything in that article that indicates that a charge is necessary to hold the TiO2 in place; simply that it moves when electricity is applied. It's possible that the image would eventually degrade without power, but everything I've seen is that electricity is only actually used to modify the page.

Platinum4life Dec 19, 2010 7:49 pm

I've always wondered: Can I have my FAA approved portable transceiver (being a pilot) on during taxi, takeoff, and landing? What about an FAA approved GPS?

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Dec 19, 2010 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn (Post 15484051)
I don't read anything in that article that indicates that a charge is necessary to hold the TiO2 in place; simply that it moves when electricity is applied. It's possible that the image would eventually degrade without power, but everything I've seen is that electricity is only actually used to modify the page.

link

Here's a more technical paper on electrophoretic displays. The micro-capsules will have leakage (check out section 3.1.2) that although small, will consume power. It's four orders of magnitude smaller than switching pixel states, but it is something engineers consider when designing. It's still tiny, but leakage is an issue in many memory systems, such as DRAM and SRAM. It wastes power; in the worst case, you lose data.

Now you did say you buy that the image may degrade. Well, in that case, yeah, I suppose you could have no power consumption if you just said to heck with everything and let the image do what it wants. I was supposing that if the image was held static like in a device's screensaver mode.

But I'm no EPD expert, so don't take my word for any of this. I just read it 5 minutes ago. :)