Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2 MM Plt, *wood Plt
$200 AA gift card for $100: Overwhelming Offer 12-16-10

Overwhelming Offers has some $200 AA Gift cards for only $100 on 12-16-10

http://www.overwhelmingoffers.com/

A few catches:
1. You have to "check in" to see the daily offers, including the AA GCs. If you don't have an account yet, you have to register first.
2. The offer doesn't get activated until 170,000 accounts have 'checked in".
3. After 170,000 accounts have checked-in, the offer will go live after five minutes
4. You have to be fast enough to be one of the first to click on "Reserve" once when the offer goes live. Then, you have to type in a 6 character code that is supposed to thwart the automated systems that try to grab the good deals.
5. Until the offer goes live, we don't know how many gift cards are available. You may have spent all day watching the check-in count, only to find that there are only 25 GCs available.
6. If there are fewer than 170,000 check-ins by 11:59 PM Easter time on 12-16-10, the offer will not go live.

Happy clicking!

Last edited by WestLA-FF; Dec 16, 2010 at 2:00 am
Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:51 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
It's a great offer but definitely too many "ifs."
Old Dec 16, 2010, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Has anyone ever used this site? What's your experience?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 7:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond
says site is down.... let me know if anyone gets in and is able to register
Old Dec 16, 2010, 7:13 am

I signed up for the service, but then realized it for what it is: An ingenious way for them to get traffic to their site and make people buy stuff.

- Generally there are 1000 or less of the offered item (or much less...often only 100)
- There are ~100,000 people competing to get it
- If you buy other stuff from their site, you get up to a five second advantage when you attempt an overwhelming offer. You can get a one second advantage buy buying anything, but they don't tell you how much you need to buy to get up to a 5 second advantage.

So...the way I see it, all things being equal I have about a 1% chance of getting something on this site. Probably .1% for something like the AA card. But all things are not equal, so my chance is more like 0%, unless I decide to be a sucker and buy other stuff here. Scam I think. Any other experiences?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by traveller1983
says site is down.... let me know if anyone gets in and is able to register

I was able to register. Got the site down notice after registering but hit the back bautton and I was in.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Not worth the effort.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: AA GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by igopogo
I signed up for the service, but then realized it for what it is: An ingenious way for them to get traffic to their site and make people buy stuff.

- Generally there are 1000 or less of the offered item (or much less...often only 100)
- There are ~100,000 people competing to get it
- If you buy other stuff from their site, you get up to a five second advantage when you attempt an overwhelming offer. You can get a one second advantage buy buying anything, but they don't tell you how much you need to buy to get up to a 5 second advantage.

So...the way I see it, all things being equal I have about a 1% chance of getting something on this site. Probably .1% for something like the AA card. But all things are not equal, so my chance is more like 0%, unless I decide to be a sucker and buy other stuff here. Scam I think. Any other experiences?
I also get the impression that it isn't really $100 "off". I could be wrong, but when I first looked at the site I thought you had to spend the $200 and then they would credit your OO account for the equivalent of $100 in points. You can redeem them to buy more stuff or depending on your "status" you can also get the money refunded through PayPal, less their service fees.

Way too much trouble for $100, let alone a small chance at $100-PayPal fees if you are lucky.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
This overwhelming offer is underwhelming.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:28 am

There is also a Best Buy gift card. If you spend $100 you get $50 worth of points or something. Maybe buying this gets you the advantage for buying AA.

The BB certificate will be available in like 2 mins. You could unload it on ebay for ~$90 Net.

I'm trying it.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ooodaveb
Maybe buying this gets you the advantage for buying AA.
What does this mean?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by Blumie
What does this mean?

You get points for previous purchases that will give you a time advantage on the unwashed masses who have never purchased. Not sure what the cut point is.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Waste of time.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:00 am

Programs: AA GLD, SPG GLD
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LGAoverJFK
I also get the impression that it isn't really $100 "off". I could be wrong, but when I first looked at the site I thought you had to spend the $200 and then they would credit your OO account for the equivalent of $100 in points. You can redeem them to buy more stuff or depending on your "status" you can also get the money refunded through PayPal, less their service fees.

Way too much trouble for $100, let alone a small chance at $100-PayPal fees if you are lucky.
Oh, and the kicker is that it takes 10-90 days or something ridiculous like that for the $100 worth of points to be credited to your account.

This site is a huge waste of time.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Waste of time.
I agree. I tried it today and when I registered the BB gift card deal was about to go live so decided to do that.

And right when it goes live, the website goes 404. These guys probably had all 140k users trying to access it. It's like a DDOS by the users.

Complete waste of time. No chance AA deal will work if 140k users failed 170k will kill the server.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.