FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA ORD cancellations 4 Dec 2010 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1156030-aa-ord-cancellations-4-dec-2010-a.html)

dkc192 Dec 4, 2010 1:03 am

AA ORD cancellations 4 Dec 2010

3-5" snow expected for the Chicagoland area. Seems like a lot of Eagle and even some mainline flights (EWR #1462, LGA #382, SFO #451, LAX #1063) have been canceled already. No travel waiver issued yet (ironically UA/CO has when it hasn't canceled a single flight yet). Should be a fun time tomorrow...

Garp Dec 4, 2010 1:14 am

Heading out now, LGA-ORD-LHR. Should be another fun day.

drozek Dec 4, 2010 2:21 am

Today I have STR-LHR-ORD FML!

tom911 Dec 4, 2010 4:26 am

AA cancels 50+ ORD departures, UA all on-time

It's odd walking past the UA monitors here at ORD and seeing every single flight on time. I walked over to the AC in the G terminal and AA has cancelled at least 50 flights. Good luck for anyone trying to get out of here today. I have some airport photos HERE if you want to see the snow on the ground.

DCBob Dec 4, 2010 4:34 am

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 15379083)
It's odd walking past the UA monitors here at ORD and seeing every single flight on time. I walked over to the AC in the G terminal and AA has cancelled at least 50 flights. Good luck for anyone trying to get out of here today. I have some airport photos HERE if you want to see the snow on the ground.

You're obviously not from the Midwest. That amount of snow (2 to 4 inches expected today) is nothing and Chicago is used to much heavier snowfalls. I would expect some delays but not cancellations due to the weather in Chicago. Of course, weather in OTHER cities can affect flights to and from ORD.

chicaloca453 Dec 4, 2010 4:42 am

United may have helped itself by issuing a travel waiver this weekend for ORD. It's being discussed in the UA forum. I am sure a lot of the delay issues comes from RJ flights. Weights and balances and such cause delays for them. So UA was pro-active and gave passengers the chance top reticket in light of today's weather.

I've flown both airlines and there are pros and cons to each. For example, I flind the FA's and call center staff nicer with AA but the gate people nicer with UA. I also find the award inventory to be better with UA but AA has better rules for changes (on AA it need not be the same routing to avoid a $150 change fee).

My point is the grass is not always greener. Really they are pretty much the same shades of green. The good on one is the bad on the other so it all balances out.

Not trying to stir up a fight. Just hoping that your frustration or perplexed state is helped a little here. Have a safe day of travel. :)

tom911 Dec 4, 2010 4:57 am

Originally Posted by DCBob (Post 15379100)
You're obviously not from the Midwest. That amount of snow (2 to 4 inches expected today) is nothing and Chicago is used to much heavier snowfalls.

I'm originally from New York, and fondly recall snow days closing schools there. Now, when I want snow, I go to Lake Tahoe or Switzerland.

Dallas49er Dec 4, 2010 5:31 am

Certainly Screwed up my MR today

My #1 client and I are doing a MR today to get him to gold (Lord knows I don't need either segments or EQMs), originally going DFW-ORD-SFO-LAX-DFW, all upgraded.

The ORD-SFO today, cxl'd last night at 7:05, so we are going DFW-SFO-DFW on the DEQM promo to SFO, in c...c...c...c..., unupgraded. If we don't clear, these will be my only 2 segments, out of 156 this year that don't.

Oh well! Have a great day in Chicago, y'all.

demkr Dec 4, 2010 5:50 am

AA has been very stingy (compared to UA) when issuing travel waivers in general. I do notice that UA tends to issue them a few days in advance of bad weather and more liberally. I believe their customers got a waiver for recent weather in the Northeast too.

Whenever there's a situation like this, rest assured, AA will be the last to issue the waivers of all major airlines-if they even choose to do so.

chanp Dec 4, 2010 6:32 am

Good luck to you all flying thru there today.

buckeyefanflyer Dec 4, 2010 6:53 am

Continental has issued the travel waiver for Chicago. They ask or expect everyone to disrupt their travel plans for a few inches of snow. What in the world happened at Newark on Wednesday, 4 and 5 hour delays for some rain.
All the more reason to keep CLE as a secondary hub to be able to handle some of this passenger traffic in situations like this. AA never should have closed the STL hub either.

beerup Dec 4, 2010 7:01 am

Originally Posted by DCBob (Post 15379100)
I would expect some delays but not cancellations due to the weather in Chicago.

Then your expectations are wrong [see title of thread].

zman Dec 4, 2010 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Garp (Post 15378648)
Heading out now, LGA-ORD-LHR. Should be another fun day.

U should try and get a re-route to JFK or BOS or RDU or MIA for LHR

demkr Dec 4, 2010 7:35 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Thanks again for your stingyness AA-really appreciate the cancellations and no ability to change plans.

Garp Dec 4, 2010 7:47 am

Originally Posted by zman (Post 15379575)
U should try and get a re-route to JFK or BOS or RDU or MIA for LHR

Too late for that I'm afraid. Made into ORD without any real issue, but the equipment for LHR is in the hanger getting the windshield replaced. Hopefully they get that done fairly soon and we don't miss the LHR curfew.