Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA ORD cancellations 4 Dec 2010

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Yikes, I hope this won't impact my mr today. Currently in rdu waiting to start rdu-jfk-sfo-ord (red eye sfo-ord)-rdu. Back here in rdu tomorrow am with an hr layover then back to ny. Not much room for delay. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, HILT DIAMOND, PC PLAT
I am also MR'ing Today

MKE-ORD-STL-ORD-SEA--with same return tomorrow. MKE flight delayed, but rest showing ontime and upgraded all the way, except of course MKE-ORD.

If anyone is currently here in ORD, I am in the AC for another hour if yu need to be guested in.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:45 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by tom911
It's odd walking past the UA monitors here at ORD and seeing every single flight on time. I walked over to the AC in the G terminal and AA has cancelled at least 50 flights. Good luck for anyone trying to get out of here today. I have some airport photos HERE if you want to see the snow on the ground.
Fun, AA called me Friday evening to give me the news that my ORD-BNA morning flight was cancelled, they put me on the early afternoon ORD-BNA but he wanted me to take the redeye SFO-DFW instead of my UPG'd SFO-ORD. I should have listened, but being the optimist, I keep the SFO-ORD. When I landed at 5:25am I very quickly realized that I needed to get out of ORD ASAP. One call and I got rerouted ORD-DFW-BNA, (stand by on an earlier ORD-DFW just in case,) plus my next BNA ticket was changed to BNA-DFW-SFO. UPG'd on the DFW-BNA-DFW segments, waitlisted on DFW-SFO. All's well in DFW and there appears to be just a bit of rain in BNA. The plows were just getting started at ORD when my ORD-DFW was deiced and heading out. AA doesn't seem to do as well at ORD in this weather compared to UA. The rule for ORD in the winter is get out while you can.

Last edited by rbAA; Dec 4, 2010 at 9:51 am
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Made it out on a 7:40 to PIT then to JFK and on to SFO. Glad I got out when I did.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:42 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by rbAA
All's well in DFW and there appears to be just a bit of rain in BNA.
I was just at BNA two hours ago and no rain and arrival temp of 50F. I'm on a UA routing today. When I went to my gate at ORD at 0630 the departure monitors were changed to show 1 UA cancellation (Traverse City) and 6 "flight delays". My plane took a 30 min delay for deicing but we did get out. I counted exactly 50 AA cancellations when I left the AC on the G side at ORD.

Tom in the AC at IAD now
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold (Life), Marriot Titanium Elite (Life)
BNA is perfect now , sun is peaking out.

I was on the 10 AM ORD-BNA that got cancelled, but got a seat on the 9 AM instead. Crossing my fingers the 3:30 BNA-ORD doesn't have any issues and I can sneak out to SFO at 6:45!

What a day for MR-ing BNA AC is nearly empty!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA 2MM, AAdmirals Club, SPG Platinum
ORD Ugly

Was in BNA AC at ~2pm; booked on 4215 to ORD. Checked in with the AAngel who said, "What? They didn't re-book you?!?!" She rebooked us through DFW to SFO. Sounds like ORD is, well, its typical self, with weather delays!! Almost as bad as DFW when the ice descends, or there is lightning within 50 miles of the airport!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT
@ RDU right now and have been for the last 3 hours. Sat 2hrs in Eagle to LGA - waited 1.5hrs to get deiced and then they realized they have a leak in the electrical panel...was happy to walk off that plane. Now delayed into JFK. Fingers crossed as the first snow hit the ground 2 hours ago.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
My #1 client and I are doing a MR today to get him to gold (Lord knows I don't need either segments or EQMs), originally going DFW-ORD-SFO-LAX-DFW, all upgraded.

The ORD-SFO today, cxl'd last night at 7:05, so we are going DFW-SFO-DFW on the DEQM promo to SFO, in c...c...c...c..., unupgraded. If we don't clear, these will be my only 2 segments, out of 156 this year that don't.

Oh well! Have a great day in Chicago, y'all.
Hah I too happened to pick 12/4 for my mileage run. I'm out of Chicago and cleared all upgrades at 100hours . Then due to a 'downgrade' (767 changed to 777) I lost my upgrades since the number of first class seats dropped. Can't really complain since EXP desk went ahead and ensured I was at least in the NGBC coach seats, then they called me to let me know what was going on. Only loss was the meal, but when beverage cart stopped FA informed me (by name) all passengers downgraded were entitled to free drinks and a BOB item ^. Have to say it was the first time I had a Boston Market sandwich and it was just as good as the snack upfront and came with chips as well!

I plan on writing a compliment to AA for being proactive and helping me out as much as they could (don't expect them to fly a 767 to they can keep my upgrades intact.

Last edited by sica4; Dec 4, 2010 at 6:56 pm
Old Dec 4, 2010, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Thanks again for your stingyness AA-really appreciate the cancellations and no ability to change plans.
Umm, if AA pre-cancelled flights with no ability to change plans, then it means that they have alternatives already preplanned (i.e. routing people through DFW, changing to a slightly different flight time, etc.). If your flights are cancelled with no reasonable backup, then AA has to let you change plans. They probably had lighter loads during this very off-peak period and decided that pre-cancelling flights was the best strategy.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Can someone explain to me (who has more knowledge than me), why UA has 0 cancellations to AA's many at ORD as of 6 pm PDT? What is it that American is incapable of doing to get their flights going on time like their competitors vs just cancelling them altogether without even allowing pax to change plans without a penalty??
United also has more frequencies-and a higher on time rate today at ORD than AA has of its flights that it did not cancel.

AA's total on time departure rate as of now at ORD for 12/3/10: 2%
United: 65%.

Source: flightstats.com

Last edited by demkr; Dec 4, 2010 at 7:47 pm Reason: updated with more mediocre statistics
Old Dec 4, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I'm on AA87 LHR-ORD-AUS and I just called to re route thru DFW to avoid possibly getting stuck at ORD. US reservations won't re route me saying flight shows on time "but to check at airport". Traveling with Junior KBins and really not happy if they strand us at ORD when it could be avoided. I don't want to call back since I'm paying to call US number (local office closed now)

How's anyone's guess for departures from ORD mid day Sun? I would have to leave hotel an hour earlier (5am) to have a shot at DFW morning flight.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by kbins
I'm on AA87 LHR-ORD-AUS and I just called to re route thru DFW to avoid possibly getting stuck at ORD. US reservations won't re route me saying flight shows on time "but to check at airport". Traveling with Junior KBins and really not happy if they strand us at ORD when it could be avoided. I don't want to call back since I'm paying to call US number (local office closed now)

How's anyone's guess for departures from ORD mid day Sun? I would have to leave hotel an hour earlier (5am) to have a shot at DFW morning flight.
Are u saying UA canceled NO flights from ORD on 12/3 or 12/4?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airlin...2-04&x=30&y=14 UA cancellations at ORD - 0. UA cancellations (total) - 1. Also showing the 65% on-time departure rate for UA at ORD.

AA cancellations at ORD info here - http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airlin...12-04&x=16&y=3 with departure on-time rate of 3%.

This is as UA issues a travel waiver and AA doesn't-and UA has more frequencies at ORD. I'm stumped.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by zman
Are u saying UA canceled NO flights from ORD on 12/3 or 12/4?
On 12/4...yes. On 12/3 it looks like 1 departure from ORD was cancelled and 5 arrivals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.