Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any chance of Upgrade from coach using miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM EXP 2015, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Diamond Marriott Silver Alamo Budget Hertz
Any chance of Upgrade from coach using miles

I have an upcoming trip to Germany and was wondering what if any upgrade options exist that are not to expensive. I realize there might be a co-pay with miles, but some times they are just plain outrages.

I have AA-GOLD status about 16k shy of PLAT.

DFW-FRA flight 70 Thru Dec 2 Booked 'O' fare class and have roughtly 200k miles to use.

Basically what if any upgrade options exist.
Thanks in advance
Angust.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Angust
DFW-FRA flight 70 Thru Dec 2 Booked 'O' fare class and have roughtly 200k miles to use.

This is a very basic question that's answered in the Flyertalk FAQ (at the top of the page where it says, "Please check here firts!") and on the AA website.

How can I upgrade on AA?

AA upgrade awards chart

I don't know what you would consider outrageous, but there is a copay involved. You've got plenty of miles.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have an upcoming trip to Germany and was wondering what if any upgrade options exist that are not to expensive. I realize there might be a co-pay with miles, but some times they are just plain outrages.

Thanks in advance
Angust.
Here are your options that I know of:
1. Miles + copay. 25,000 miles + $350 each way.
2. Trade for eVIPs in Coupon Connection. Some risk in that this is a violation of AA terms & conditions. Probable cost: 25,000 - 35,000 miles.
3. Cancel coach ticket and book business class award. You would be able to apply the value of the coach ticket (less a cancellation fee, probably $250) to a future trip on AA.
4. Hope for opportunity to purchase upgrade on departure day. Typically $500+ ONE-WAY, rarely available.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1.4M, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist

Thanks in advance
Angust.
As mentioned above, you can get this answer from AA.com or call AA Advantage. This is just another form of 'award travel' - miles + co-pay. I think it is worth it and do it often for flights >1,000 miles. But they don't always have inventory, you might have to be 'wait-listed.' Best to call AA CS ASAP to inquire aboout availability. Good Luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.