Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Modification to the Upgrade Priority procedure?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat/1 MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Modification to the Upgrade Priority procedure?

Recently I have been very low on the Upgrade standby list even though I try and check-in 24 hours prior. When asking about this I was told that the 100 hour upgrade was still the same as it was based on the Flyer status and the time and date of the original upgrade request. However the GA said that the Upgrade standby list for the last 24 hours was no longer based on time of check-in.

Instead he said that it was based on either Miles for the year or Lifetime miles(he was not sure). He said that checking in early no longer matters as I could check in 24 hours prior of 3 hours prior and would still end up in the same spot on the list.

Can anyone confirm or deny this information?

It appears to me that if you do not have many many miles and are on a heavilly travelled route for FF, the best way to ensure an upgrade is to book far in advance and request upgrades then.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:33 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Partly correct. The airport upgrade list no longer uses check-in time as a sorting factor.

The airport list sorting is based upon status and original request time within status.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jackyl9000
the best way to ensure an upgrade is to book far in advance and request upgrades then.
This is the way the upgrades are handed out. See this post.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
It appears to me that if you do not have many many miles and are on a heavilly travelled route for FF, the best way to ensure an upgrade is to book far in advance and request upgrades then.
Although this is the way it is done at the moment (ordered by request date), I would love to see it modified to factor in ticket cost too. I typically book domestic travel no more than ten days out and therefore, although I (OK - my employer) pay much more than many other EXPs on the flight, I often lose out on upgrades. The really bad flights are the Monday morning commutes. I was on DFW->PHL a couple of months ago along with over 50 other EXPs. I never even made it to the first screen of the upgrade list.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
As the upgrade list for domestic vs. international flights are different, does it make sense and are you even allowed to check-in at the airport close to 24 hours in advance prior to an international flight or can you only check in at the airport the same day as your international flight?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM+, Lifetime PLT, Admirals Club
Recently I have been very low on the Upgrade standby list even though I try and check-in 24 hours prior. When asking about this I was told that the 100 hour upgrade was still the same as it was based on the Flyer status and the time and date of the original upgrade request. However the GA said that the Upgrade standby list for the last 24 hours was no longer based on time of check-in.

Instead he said that it was based on either Miles for the year or Lifetime miles(he was not sure). He said that checking in early no longer matters as I could check in 24 hours prior of 3 hours prior and would still end up in the same spot on the list.

Your profile doesn't say much about you, so no one on FT knows your status. If you're EXP, yes, your upgrade can process 100 hours in advance. If it doesn't don't just wait for the computer to try to upgrade you, call the EXP desk, as a majority of times they can push an upgrade through manually. If you're PLT or GOLD, your chances are reduced very much for an upgrade if there are a lot of EXPs on the flight.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Not based on "miles for the year or lifetime miles"

Upgrade priority is not based on "miles for the year or lifetime miles." Within each elite level, priority is based on date and time of original request.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
only as a tie breaker .... as for me I love AA's methods .... clear/transparent easy to understand .... unlike CO's byzantine methods ....

Though life isn't as bad for me since I am always traveling through a hub so my priority gets bumped

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
Although this is the way it is done at the moment (ordered by request date), I would love to see it modified to factor in ticket cost too. I typically book domestic travel no more than ten days out and therefore, although I (OK - my employer) pay much more than many other EXPs on the flight, I often lose out on upgrades. The really bad flights are the Monday morning commutes. I was on DFW->PHL a couple of months ago along with over 50 other EXPs. I never even made it to the first screen of the upgrade list.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
It's worth reminding that through/connection passengers take priority over non-connecting customers. So the full upgrade priority is:

-Status
-Within status levels, connecting customers are processed first, followed by non-connecting customers
-And within status level and either the pool of connecting or non-connecting customers, date/time of original request.

Thus being a connecting passenger ALWAYS trumps date/time of original request.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Ok well I suppose then the GA was incorrect. I agree that going off the Time of booking only is not right as I normally book 1-2 weeks in advance only and giving all the upgrades to those who book on the deep discount fares.

Well I suppose I will have to wait until all the EXPs that qualified via the double promotions expire next March...
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MGW2000

Thus being a connecting passenger ALWAYS trumps date/time of original request.
How does this work? I fly from PIT -> DFW -> AUS and there are plenty of people sitting up front that end in Dallas while i'm in the back. If i'm connecting where is the priority come in?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
How does this work? I fly from PIT -> DFW -> AUS and there are plenty of people sitting up front that end in Dallas while i'm in the back. If i'm connecting where is the priority come in?
You would be a "through" passenger with priority on the DFW-AUS leg, not on the PIT-DFW leg.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miamigrad
You would be a "through" passenger with priority on the DFW-AUS leg, not on the PIT-DFW leg.
Well on that flight I was 10th on the list of 25 waiting for upgrades... didn't feel much priority there either.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by wildaboutmovies
If you're PLT or GOLD, your chances are reduced very much for an upgrade if there are a lot of EXPs on the flight.
True.
Flew DFW-EWR last Monday. I made reservations back in September. There were only six seats showing available on the seat map 24 hours out and I still had not cleared. (I know, I know, but I didn't check on EF)

I cleared with one daughter about 2 hours out. My wife and other daughter, both PLTs, never cleared. All 4 of us cleared on the EWR-DFW seg on the previous Friday. Ya just never know.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think everything is very well spelled out here: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...rade_Waitlists

If not, then please edit that article! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.