AA.com re-design: Monday 11/15/2010

Old Nov 14, 10, 2:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Reminds me of DL's website makeover. Also purely comestic - the only changes were the front page. The content stayed unchanged.

They did revise their seatmaps, though.
Old Nov 14, 10, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by derikolsson View Post
I
Now, if they can pay attention to us Safari/Chrome users (possibly all Webkit browsers?) and fix those CSS bugs?
#1 - My Account - Elite Status
#2 - Find Reservation
Much ado about very little IMHO. +1 for Safari/Chrome although I am a deeply addicted Chrome user myself. There are many sites that play poorly with Chrome including some of my important ones. I've survived with aa.com but seat maps always look odd or do not work.
Old Nov 14, 10, 2:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jbcarioca View Post
Much ado about very little IMHO. +1 for Safari/Chrome although I am a deeply addicted Chrome user myself. There are many sites that play poorly with Chrome including some of my important ones. I've survived with aa.com but seat maps always look odd or do not work.
Had the issue been in the old design I wouldn't have bothered commenting on it - but to go from proper rendering to improper rendering with a design update is pretty weak, IMO. Especially considering we account for 23.1% of web users (Chrome here, but keep all for testing purposes).

Usability impaired? No.
AA's image tarnished by a careless mistake? Yes.
Old Nov 14, 10, 2:48 am

The RSS feeds for weekend getaway fares and offers was a nice add: https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/rss.jsp?from=Nav

Other than that, I completely agree with Andy's post:
Originally Posted by Andy1369 View Post
Reminds me of DL's website makeover. Also purely comestic - the only changes were the front page. The content stayed unchanged.

Old Nov 14, 10, 5:40 am
uxb

Programs: AS (MVPG), BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,7MM), WN
I've just played around with the new site now. Very underwhelmed. Thought they would do something to enhance booking.
Old Nov 14, 10, 6:07 am

Auto-add of Business Extraa numbers is also now broken.
Old Nov 14, 10, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I like the easier access to "My Reservations", no flyout menu required. Sad that it came at the expense of the extra click to get to Flight Status.

One change no one has commented on yet: on the My Reservations list, there's no longer a cancel link. Not everyone will, but I actually applaud this removal of functionality; it was too easy to click that (or click the wrong one) accidentally. And since the Cancel Reservation confirmation page doesn't show what flights you are cancelling (how could they not fix that??), at least now you're forced to an intermediate reservation display page does show it.

Edit to add:

One quirk on the new one-click home page access to My Reservations.

From the home page, click the My Reservations tab, then choose a reservation. The res info page displays. Now click the browser back button. It takes to back to the Home page Book Travel tab, instead of the My Reservations tab that you came from.

If you go to My Reservations from the home page dropdown menus (Reservations => My Reservations), that menu navigation takes you to the old My Reservations page, with the dangerous cancel links. But at least the back button from there works correctly after selecting a flight.

Last edited by swag; Nov 14, 10 at 8:43 am
Old Nov 14, 10, 8:43 am

Starting to play with the new AA site - not too impressed - may be I had my hopes too high...will send in my tweets on this as I go through it.
Old Nov 14, 10, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
More good and bad, when searching for flights.

On the price+schedule results page, the breadcrumb indicators (start over; flights; passengers...) are misaligned and overlay the top of the the dates. This using Firefox 3.6.12.

^ The results page now has a Search Alternate Dates link at the top right; when clicked it invokes a calendar selector that lets you choose any new date and re-search without going back to the main search page.
Old Nov 14, 10, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4MM, Lifetime Platinum
AA needs to put more "lipstick on this pig."

I'm still searching for that "major redesign" promised.
Old Nov 14, 10, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Exp HHonors
Appears to be a downgrade

Disappointed in the NEW aa.com. It's harder on my eyes and doesn't enhance usability very much. Altogether I would say it is not as good as the previous version.
Old Nov 14, 10, 9:20 am

What is really new about the AA website. Here is a list to start with - lets add to this.

1. New Landing Page / AA.com page
2. Reservation screen seems to be laid out a little better (no significant changes)
3. The top navigation bar is the same across all pages (this is a helpful feature which is fairly common across all well designed websites)
Old Nov 14, 10, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
It is pretty much an aesthetic re-design and move the menu to the top. I guess it is a major improvement.
Old Nov 14, 10, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Anyway, I'll be happy if the new site...
1. Doesn't make you check "Remember my AAdvantage Number" every time.
2. Has a "My Reservations" link that's easy to see and click no matter where you are.
3. Doesn't have a mixed up order of flights every time you do a search.
4. Lets you more easily see the F seat map if you're doing a search.
5. Doesn't time out so quickly.
6. Doesn't run more slowly than the current site.
7. Doesn't have a bunch of Flash or fancy graphics that take longer to load and don't render consistently in different browsers.

Long shots, but would be wonderful if it...
1. Showed upgrade standby lists (or at least your position) online.
2. Let you confirm or standby to alternate flights during OLCI.
3. Brought back flexible searches by date.
4. Let EXPs see expanded award availability online.
Looks like they failed on all points. The only exception may be #7. It works just fine for me in Chrome but others seems to have problems.

Originally Posted by Andy1369 View Post

Exactly right. In the subsequent weeks DL did roll out other changes to the site: list of itineraries, reservation display, seat maps, and account activity display. They made some welcome substantive changes to the account activity display but otherwise it's all been completely cosmetic. Huge weaknesses on navigation and the booking engine remain.

Hopefully AA is planning a lot more than just this superficial makeover.
Old Nov 14, 10, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, HGP ♦; former elite in Hilton, Marriott & DL (just under MM thanks to Leo)
Originally Posted by swag View Post
On the price+schedule results page, the breadcrumb indicators (start over; flights; passengers...) are misaligned and overlay the top of the the dates. This using Firefox 3.6.12.
See this too, via firefox. The Start Over breadcrumb is obscured once you select a leg and move to subsequent pages.

Also seems much slower to load (via 3G aircard)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: