AA.com re-design: Monday 11/15/2010

Old Nov 13, 10, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
OTOH, my Firefox brower on my office desktop computer requires me to retype my AAdvantage # in full every time. Then when I tab over to the password field it fills that in.
Have you tried Firefox Synch? It has the ability to store account numbers and passwords across multiple computers. I just type in the first letter of my AA account and it brings up the account number and password. My main use in using that is to have the same toolbar and bookmarks across multiple computers.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/sync/
Old Nov 13, 10, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO PP, AA EXP, UA 1K, DL DIA
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
My email came in at 4:26 central.

Anyway, I'll be happy if the new site...
1. Doesn't make you check "Remember my AAdvantage Number" every time.
2. Has a "My Reservations" link that's easy to see and click no matter where you are.
3. Doesn't have a mixed up order of flights every time you do a search.
4. Lets you more easily see the F seat map if you're doing a search.
5. Doesn't time out so quickly.
6. Doesn't run more slowly than the current site.
7. Doesn't have a bunch of Flash or fancy graphics that take longer to load and don't render consistently in different browsers.

Long shots, but would be wonderful if it...
1. Showed upgrade standby lists (or at least your position) online.
2. Let you confirm or standby to alternate flights during OLCI.
3. Brought back flexible searches by date.
4. Let EXPs see expanded award availability online.
+ 1

Also, when Im traveling with my wife and kids its difficult to change or rearrange seating online when your not sitting in the same row.
Old Nov 13, 10, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Have you tried Firefox Synch? It has the ability to store account numbers and passwords across multiple computers. I just type in the first letter of my AA account and it brings up the account number and password. My main use in using that is to have the same toolbar and bookmarks across multiple computers.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/sync/
Thanks, but that's not the issue. On my laptop, typing in the first letter of my AA account bring up the account number. On my work computer, it brings up nothing (I have to keep typing the rest of the account number).

And, at any rate, I don't want the same stuff on my office computer as my personal laptop (certainly not same tabs or even same history, and not necesarily even the same list of passwords, though of course if I save a password on both I want that password to be the same on both). (For one thing, some of the sites I use a lot on my personal laptop, outside of my company network, are blocked by my computer network and are thus unusable on my office computer, so tyring to have the same tabs would really backfire!)

I just want the same behavior, and I was commenting that one of the two computers works like yours and the other of my two computers works like the person who I originally replied to, and I don't know why they work differently.

(It's the behavior you have -- auto-completing a saved user ID -- that works for aa.com on my laptop but not on my office computer. But many other sites work the same on both my computers! So there's something about specifically aa.com that interacts with some setting or something...)

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 13, 10 at 10:55 pm
Old Nov 13, 10, 11:57 pm

Lot of good discussions - let us see what AA really ends up doing (or should I say - releasing it to us)

I would love to see the Standby and Upgrade list in advance to know where I stand - Not sure how much effort is required to publish this info as they do it in the airport
Old Nov 14, 10, 12:00 am

Programs: DL/UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by lifescool View Post
Lot of good discussions - let us see what AA really ends up doing (or should I say - releasing it to us)

I would love to see the Standby and Upgrade list in advance to know where I stand - Not sure how much effort is required to publish this info as they do it in the airport
As far as I know, their new iPhone app has these capabilities. If the iPhone app has them, surely the website should!
Old Nov 14, 10, 12:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by dugknight View Post
My Firefox browser won't even remember my credentials on AA.com like it does with most other sites. Not sure why that's never worked with AA. Auto-login or at least the Aadvantage number would be great. We are making up quite a wish-list here!
IIRC, this is actually a setting on the AA website, and not a Firefox issue per se. It's been discussed, along with a workaround, in the Website Glitches thread here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post10606231

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
For some reason:

My Firefox browser on my personal laptop remembers my AA sign-on to the point that if I click in the AAdvatnage # field, it puts up a dropdown that has my AAdvantage number listed (and no others), and if click my AAdvantage number from that dropdown it fills it and my password in.

OTOH, my Firefox brower on my office desktop computer requires me to retype my AAdvantage # in full every time. Then when I tab over to the password field it fills that in.

I cannot figure out why it works differently on these two computers. It's not as simple as Firefox versions, because both computers have had Firefox updated many many times, and so while they may not both be at the same version all of the time, both have "crossed" the same version at different times at the very least.
I experienced this as well and attributed it to the fact that the account numbers/passwords already being saved in Firefox prior to AA changing their coding to prevent password remembering. Old combinations continued to work fine, but passwords could not be changed and new account numbers could not be saved.
Old Nov 14, 10, 1:07 am

FYI - new AA website is live

Looks like the AAdvantage pages are still the same. Just a new skin around the outside.
Old Nov 14, 10, 1:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Yes, a new home page, and the side menu has moved to the top. The menu options are the same, but the physically larger menus make it much easier to navigate.

The only difference that I can find so far is that the previous top menu for "Worldwide sites" has become a drop down for "Select Country, Select Language, and Remember this selection?" I think that "Remember this selection?" may be new (and certainly useful).

Last edited by nbevan; Nov 14, 10 at 1:29 am Reason: More detail
Old Nov 14, 10, 1:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
What a letdown - purely cosmetic. In fact, most of the old pages just show up unchanged in a 'box' within the new skin.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/new.jsp

With the refreshed and redesigned AA.com, it's easy to book, explore and plan all your travel needs in one place. Because we've organized things better. Made it more intuitive. Smarter. Simpler. Cleaner. All to help bring your next trip closer to reality.

Here are just some of the changes we've made:

Moved navigation menu to the top for ease of use
Added icons to help you find what you want
Placed booking tool prominently in top left
Reduced clutter and simplified the page
Improved readability with larger font
Old Nov 14, 10, 1:35 am

Programs: Former SPG Plat and AA EXP; Current SPG LT Gold and AA LT GLD

No meaningful improvements whatsoever. Once you get passed the homepage, it's completely unchanged. Couldn't even can the auto-remember-me right.

There's a tab on the front page for upcoming reservations, which is a good idea, but you still need to go through the ridiculous sign-in process, which renders it worthless. In fact, now you have to go to the log-in tab to log in, which adds another step to the process.

Maybe they're going to roll out another phase by Monday .

I'm going to bed.
Old Nov 14, 10, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Were there this many ads before? I feel like air travel is secondary to buying one of the other products on the front page.
Old Nov 14, 10, 1:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Reduced clutter and simplified the page
Which means that it is now another click to get to Gates and times, and Login to my account. And an additional menu navigation to get to View/Change Reservation, Flight Check-in, Schedules, Flight Status Notification, Buy Upgrade and Email Subscription.

But the way of reaching these is now the same across the site, so it appears more consistent.
Old Nov 14, 10, 1:46 am

Programs: Former SPG Plat and AA EXP; Current SPG LT Gold and AA LT GLD
This is the first step of more exciting changes we have planned for AA.com.
Hopefully the next changes are more exciting... and imminent.

Slightly amusing: If you watch their demo video closely (which I don't recommend if you value your time), you'll see that Mr. EXP John Smith had a banner month in racking up miles.
Old Nov 14, 10, 1:48 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yawn. Themes and Skins updates. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old Nov 14, 10, 1:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Instant switch + little (no?) downtime = no under-the-hood changes. Damn.

I do like the login tab on the homepage, and the quick(er) access to reservations is nice. The destination ideas is a good move - but limited in scope (and not consistently aligned).

All in all, this just seems like a much overdue redesign that is geared to push the higher-ticket items (hotels & vacation packages) - hopefully that'll bring in a little bit of profit to help our beloved airline.

Now, if they can pay attention to us Safari/Chrome users (possibly all Webkit browsers?) and fix these CSS bugs they introduced w/ the new version?
#1 - My Account - Elite Status
#2 - Find Reservation

Last edited by derikolsson; Nov 14, 10 at 4:22 am Reason: clarification on CSS bugs being new, not pre-existing

Search this Thread
Search Engine: