AA Codeshare to SYD - priority seats for AA PLT??

Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-GLD; DL-Silver
AA Codeshare to SYD - priority seats for AA PLT??

Bought a discounted economy R/T from JFK - SYD codeshare on AA flight numbers for travel in November.

However, I called AA to lock in some good seats (exit, or bulkhead) and they said that these seats are blocked. I also tried QF directly and they stated they cannot do anything on seating for me at all, and quoted "ask at the airport check in".

What is the policy of Qantas re: advance seat selection (the good ones) for Oneworld Sapphire members? Not the same as when flying on AA metal it seems.

Also, will I be able to use the lounge upon arrival in SYD? It seems access may be limited to departing flights only.

Thx to anyone with prior experience,

Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's often much easier to get seating when the flight is not a codeshare, a distinct problem with some airlines and the diminished miles afforded on discounted fares. I hope someone who has done this will show up with the answers (but remember, FT is a lot slower on weekends).

You will have to process formalities on arrival, no lounge.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:12 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by nyflyerboy
However, I called AA to lock in some good seats (exit, or bulkhead) and they said that these seats are blocked.
Qantas sells the exit row seats. I'm not sure if being on the AA-codeshare is an issue in buying an exit row (if available) - maybe call QF and ask or check your reservation on the QF website - AA should be able to give you the QF PNR to enable you to pull it up on the QF website.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
I traveled to Australia last year on QF and am an AA PLT as well. I called Qantas and while they couldn't give me an exit row or bulkhead seat, they did book me and my partner into 70AB on the 744. It is towards the back, but was one of the 2x4x2 rows rather than 3x4x3. There was actually a bit of space between the seat and the window to store stuff during flight (not takeoff or landing). I do remember than when I called the agent said that they couldn't guarantee the seat, that something may come up, but she could put in a request. That request held through and the flight was just fine. A lot of people don't like them because it's towards the back of the plane, but for a 14.5 hour flight, comfort trumps location in my mind.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tt7
Qantas sells the exit row seats. I'm not sure if being on the AA-codeshare is an issue in buying an exit row (if available) - maybe call QF and ask or check your reservation on the QF website - AA should be able to give you the QF PNR to enable you to pull it up on the QF website.
Thanks so much for this info, I had no idea they sold those exit seats...got an aisle seat booked, which is fine by me and probably the best I will do for seating. Not interested in paying additional for the exit row seat.

Will take advantage of the pre-flight lounge access and then try to get some sleep on the long haul over
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I travelled on a AA codeshare on a LAX-SYD before as a PLT. AA has no control over bulkhead or exit row seats. They were able to assign me an aisle seat.

I called Qantas asking about the exit row seats. They sell exit row seats in advance for $175 on flights ticketed on Qantas but not on AA codeshares. I was lucky enough to get an exit row on the LAX-SYD segment when I checked in at the terminal as a OW Sapphire. One the return SYD-LAX I had no luck as all the exit rows were taken by the time I checked in.

So if you really want an exit row and don't mind paying extra for the extra leg room, I would recommend booking your flight with Qantas rather than as an AA codeshare. I found the Qantas lounges to nicer than the Admirals Club Lounges.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
As an AA PLT on an AA codeshare LAX-SYD-LAX (booked through a travel agent), I was able to get my QF record locator by calling QF. Once I had that, I could change seats through the QF web site (scored 80A on the A380, which is an exit row-like seat but isn't charged for like an exit row). I also had the option to buy exit row seats through the web site.

I think that non-elites can't reserve any seats more than a week in advance on QF (at least in Y), so AA PLT seems to get the same recognition as a QF oneworld Sapphire.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
IME, in the last year or so, the QF website is your friend (at least for OWE.) I fly this route several time a year (on AA codeshares) and for the past year or so I simply get the QF PNR from AA (some agents, even EXP, have a heck of a time finding it, but they can - or call QF - they can at least give you that!) Then as long as you status was sent to QF, their "new" website allows selection of many elite-only seats, as well as the option to buy an exit - even on an AA codeshare. Further, you can also reserve DOMESTIC connection seats - something they never used to do!
Old Oct 31, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ashill
As an AA PLT on an AA codeshare LAX-SYD-LAX (booked through a travel agent), I was able to get my QF record locator by calling QF. Once I had that, I could change seats through the QF web site (scored 80A on the A380, which is an exit row-like seat but isn't charged for like an exit row). I also had the option to buy exit row seats through the web site.

I think that non-elites can't reserve any seats more than a week in advance on QF (at least in Y), so AA PLT seems to get the same recognition as a QF oneworld Sapphire.
I did the same thing when I flew to Sydney in March. I was in 80K on the A380 which was a great seat and had the row to myself as well. Return on the 744 wasn't as nice but was tolerable in the back in the window on one of the 2x4x2 rows.

As others have said, call AA and they should be able to give you your Qantas PNR.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
IME, in the last year or so, the QF website is your friend (at least for OWE.) I fly this route several time a year (on AA codeshares) and for the past year or so I simply get the QF PNR from AA (some agents, even EXP, have a heck of a time finding it, but they can - or call QF - they can at least give you that!) Then as long as you status was sent to QF, their "new" website allows selection of many elite-only seats, as well as the option to buy an exit - even on an AA codeshare. Further, you can also reserve DOMESTIC connection seats - something they never used to do!
You guys are great. Called AA Plt line, they insisted there was no way to get the QF PNR - after polite nudging, he put me on hold to get the help desk involved. Came back with the code in 3 minutes! Logged into QF, selected my seats and yes the option for the exit row purchase is surely there! (but I am too stingy to pay $160 AUD for that ). May take the back 2x3x2 window seat! At least it's an option and available to select on the QF site. ^
Old Oct 31, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by nyflyerboy
You guys are great. Called AA Plt line, they insisted there was no way to get the QF PNR - after polite nudging, he put me on hold to get the help desk involved. Came back with the code in 3 minutes! Logged into QF, selected my seats and yes the option for the exit row purchase is surely there! (but I am too stingy to pay $160 AUD for that ). May take the back 2x3x2 window seat! At least it's an option and available to select on the QF site. ^
Just a note: If you have (onward) AA flights in the PNR, QF's website will require you to select seats for those flights as well before you can get to the final screen where the changes are actually made. (If you don't go though that last screen, your changes are not made.) Also, you will *not* have access to elite seats on the AA flights, but the QF request is either never sent for the AA flights, or AA ignores it. Of course, check with AA.COM a few minutes after the QF request - generally you will see your new QF seats right away and your old AA seats should be intact, even though you may have had to request a change from QF. (If there is a change, just move back since on AA the selection is flight by flight.)
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:48 pm

Just a note: If you have (onward) AA flights in the PNR, QF's website will require you to select seats for those flights as well before you can get to the final screen where the changes are actually made. (If you don't go though that last screen, your changes are not made.) Also, you will *not* have access to elite seats on the AA flights, but the QF request is either never sent for the AA flights, or AA ignores it. Of course, check with AA.COM a few minutes after the QF request - generally you will see your new QF seats right away and your old AA seats should be intact, even though you may have had to request a change from QF. (If there is a change, just move back since on AA the selection is flight by flight.)
Yes, the QF web site makes you select on all segments even the AA metal ones you likely already have good seats on. The AA metal choices do not stick, however, so your AA choices stay undisturbed.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:36 pm

Policy Shift?

I am bumping this thread quoting my previous posts in the hopes that someone can clarify if there has been a policy shift. Just booked a flight (all AA or AA codeshare on QF) MSN-ORD-LAX-SYD-CNS. Using the steps outlined below, I accessed the QF website and could only select Aisle or Window preference on the QF TPAC (QF12) segment - although I could still grab an exit seat on the SYD-CNS flight, so clearly the status was passed in the PNR. When I spoke with the EXP desk to get the QF PNR, she warned me QF was restricting advance seat selection to only higher fares now. I assumed she was wrong; sadly, I now believe she may be right. I tried a couple more test bookings - result: No advance seat selection on QF TATL on AA codeshare.

Any other experience or actual knowledge? (I'm speculating it might have something to do with the recent additions of QF and other carriers to the online award process - the timing is about right....)

Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
I was told the same thing a few months ago when going TPAC on Qantas. I thought it was just a misinformed agent, and didn't do the call back again. Fortunately, I got a decent seat at the airport.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Guess that's the price of getting 100% mileage booking the AA codeshare (and paying a few hundred $s more at that) rather than booking the QF flights themselves. Thinking of doing PER late next month so guess I should brace myself for the worst. (Then again, if QF's own coach fliers on discount fares can't select their seats either, it becomes a matter of getting to the airport early -- or being able to select at the time of OLCI. Fortunately I'd be inbound from the other side of both continents on the transPac segments so have a quarter-day leg up on SYD and MEL boarding pax.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.